Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu How to find symbolic links recursively under a folder in Linux Post 302601623 by itkamaraj on Friday 24th of February 2012 05:20:36 AM
Old 02-24-2012
‘-type’ reports the types of the files that symbolic links point to. This means that in combination with ‘-L’, ‘-type l’ will be true only for broken symbolic links. To check for symbolic links when ‘-L’ has been specified, use ‘-xtype l’.

Symbolic Links - Finding Files
This User Gave Thanks to itkamaraj For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Too many levels of symbolic links

Hi, Is there a limit to the number of symbolic links you can have? I tried to vi the symbolic link relating to a file and got the following error: "filename" Too many levels of symbolic links There is only one symbolic link to one file in this case, but there are >2000 other links to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

2. Solaris

cp a dty without symbolic links?

Hi, - we have copy (cp command) to do to save all the contents of a dty BUT we dont want to copy the files corresponding to symbolic links contained whithin this dty - the box is a sun solaris one - and the cp commande do not say avything about that? thanks for help Jakez (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JAKEZ
7 Replies

3. AIX

Symbolic Links

I am linking a directory as follows: ln -sf /home/xxx/userid/real_files/* /home/xxx/userid/linked_files This gives me symbolic links for all the files in the real_files directory in the linked_files directory. My question is, if I go and remove a file in the real_files directory and then go... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcarnesiii
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic links between directories

Hi all, lets consider 2 directories test1 and test2. I want to link test2 to point to test1, how do u do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Zer0
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

recurssion via symbolic links without allowing system to act recursively?

I tried looking up combinations of the keywords "infinite loop links" in google before causing a recurring post here... but alas, I couldn't find much. Cause: I've created an infinite loop, in a way, of directories. Problem: I'm not sure if this will crash a backup program (trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Links

Hi all, I have scoured the entire forum for this but to no avail unfortunately. Basically, I would like to remove my symbolic link from my folder name i.e. foldername -> /a/b/c/d/f where f is indeed a folder. I have tried rmdir but this does not work and in actual fact deletes the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissioning for symbolic links

I've just started using UNIX in a Linux vmplayer. I'm trying to run the command: ln -s `pwd`/$1 `python -c "from distutils.sysconfig import get_python_lib; print get_python_lib()"`/$1 in a script from an online tutorial, but I keep getting an error message: ln: creating symbolic link... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ChipT
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic links in UNIX

Hi, I have a file with more than 1 layers of soft links for it. For ex. ls -la .profile .profile@ -> /home/act/.profile_abc ls -la /home/act/.profile_abc@ -> .profile_final I want to get the name of the last file (i.e. .profile_final) when I refer to .profile using shell script. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deo_kaustubh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete and Recreate around 400 Symbolic Links in one Folder

Hello, I recently just switched my phphandler to suPHP on my server in order to increase security a bit. I am working with 2 scripts, one of which is vbulletin forums and the other is custom. The vbulletin forum avatars are all symbolic links to pictures in the other custom script. When I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambition13
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Symbolic links

Soft link,Hard link brief explanation (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RAJU KAVATI
1 Replies
LN(1)								   User Commands							     LN(1)

NAME
ln - make links between files SYNOPSIS
ln [OPTION]... [-T] TARGET LINK_NAME (1st form) ln [OPTION]... TARGET (2nd form) ln [OPTION]... TARGET... DIRECTORY (3rd form) ln [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY TARGET... (4th form) DESCRIPTION
In the 1st form, create a link to TARGET with the name LINK_NAME. In the 2nd form, create a link to TARGET in the current directory. In the 3rd and 4th forms, create links to each TARGET in DIRECTORY. Create hard links by default, symbolic links with --symbolic. By default, each destination (name of new link) should not already exist. When creating hard links, each TARGET must exist. Symbolic links can hold arbitrary text; if later resolved, a relative link is interpreted in relation to its parent directory. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. --backup[=CONTROL] make a backup of each existing destination file -b like --backup but does not accept an argument -d, -F, --directory allow the superuser to attempt to hard link directories (note: will probably fail due to system restrictions, even for the supe- ruser) -f, --force remove existing destination files -i, --interactive prompt whether to remove destinations -L, --logical dereference TARGETs that are symbolic links -n, --no-dereference treat LINK_NAME as a normal file if it is a symbolic link to a directory -P, --physical make hard links directly to symbolic links -r, --relative create symbolic links relative to link location -s, --symbolic make symbolic links instead of hard links -S, --suffix=SUFFIX override the usual backup suffix -t, --target-directory=DIRECTORY specify the DIRECTORY in which to create the links -T, --no-target-directory treat LINK_NAME as a normal file always -v, --verbose print name of each linked file --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The backup suffix is '~', unless set with --suffix or SIMPLE_BACKUP_SUFFIX. The version control method may be selected via the --backup option or through the VERSION_CONTROL environment variable. Here are the values: none, off never make backups (even if --backup is given) numbered, t make numbered backups existing, nil numbered if numbered backups exist, simple otherwise simple, never always make simple backups Using -s ignores -L and -P. Otherwise, the last option specified controls behavior when a TARGET is a symbolic link, defaulting to -P. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report ln translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
link(2), symlink(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/ln> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) ln invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 LN(1)