Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting stderr redirection not working Post 302601553 by animesharma on Friday 24th of February 2012 01:51:50 AM
Old 02-24-2012
@codemaniac

I understand that, but thats not my intention. i want to redirect the stderr into a file.
Can you try the line:
Code:
>echo $a b c >>& log

in your unix terminal(tcsh) and see if it fails.

Last edited by Scott; 02-24-2012 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr redirection in csh script

Man pages....look at the man pages. If you don't have them, you can find them on-line. Read them when you have nothing better to do. Find new commands and new ways of doing things. The answer: The only way to direct the standard output and standard error separately is by invoking... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehoghunter
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stderr redirection

Does anyone know away of redirecting the stderr for a bourne or korn shell script to a file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh stderr redirection

Hi everyone, Simple scripting question here. I have: #!/bin/csh if ( -e $HOME/*.core) then rm -f $HOME/*.core >& /dev/null else echo "No core files to delete." endif But I keep getting the /home/user/*.core: no match dialog. How can I suppress this? or, why is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolok
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection not working as expected

Portion of my script below : if ; then NUMBEROFFEILDS=`cat ${BASE_SCRIPT_LOC}/standardfilecleanup.lst|grep -w ${db_file_path}|awk -F: '{print NF}'` COUNT=4 while ; do awk_var="$"`echo $COUNT` file_name1=`cat ${BASE_SCRIPT_LOC}/standardfilecleanup.lst|grep -w... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: findprakash
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why stderr file descriptor redirection makes ksh's "select" construct hang.

I am trying to use one global declaration --> "exec 2>$ERR" to capture all stderr outputs that may occur anywhere in my script. Then close it at the end of the script using --> "exec 2<&-" I am using KSH on Solaris 8. KSH Version M-11/16/88i If I comment two "exec .." statements in the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

STDOUT and STDERR redirection within a script

Hello all, I have a for loop executing in a script that I want to redirect STDOUT to screen and to file, while directing STDERR to the bit bucket. Here is the general sentax of what I'm doing: for i in thingy do some_command ${i} done 1>&1 | tee ${LOGFILE} 2> /dev/null What I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxRacr
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

stdout, stderr redirection

Hi all, can someone help me with the next redirection? i want to redirect the stdout+stderr of a command to the same file (this i can do by prog &> file) but in addition i want to redirect only the stderr to a different file. how can i do this please? (in BASH) thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eee
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output redirection in script not working

I need to count the number of lines in a .txt file and put it in a variable. I am using the following code #!/bin/bash count = $(wc -l "some file.txt" | awk '{print$1}') echo $count It is giving the following error. line3: count: command not foundWhat am I doing wrong here? :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haritha.gorijav
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cygwin script log redirection not working well

I have a simple script which will send a curl request and redirect the output to a log file. for i in {1..20} do curl google.com -is >>log.log & echo "request # $i" >> log.log doneAfter it completes the execution, if I run the following command I should see 20 lines because I am printing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: heykiran
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

>& redirection not working within csh script

I'm having a strange problem with basic >& output redirection to a simple log file in csh. When I run this particular output redirection on the command line, it works, but then when I run the same output redirection command >& in my c shell script, I get a blank log file. Nothing is output to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: silencio
5 Replies
Locale::Script(3perl)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				     Locale::Script(3perl)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. The ones currently supported are: alpha This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA". The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. numeric This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC". ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes Locale::Constants http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2011 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2011-09-26 Locale::Script(3perl)