Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in understanding awk expression Post 302601317 by Corona688 on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 10:44:55 AM
Old 02-23-2012
Code:
# Before the program is run, set the variable n to the value "POINT"
-v n="POINT"

# For every line containing % somewhere:
'/%/ {
        # Print the entire line, followed by a newline, followed by "POINT"
        print $0 "\n" n
        # Skip this line so the '1' below doesn't print it
        next
# The '1' after the code block tells it to print every single line.
# It could be an expression too.
} 1' < file name

But I would've just written it as:

Code:
awk -v n="POINT" '/%/ { $0=$0"\n" n } 1'

To avoid the 'print' and the 'next'. For any line matching %, it just changes the current line( $0 ) to add "\nPOINT" to the end, so the print-every-line statement prints correctly in both cases.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on understanding the Shell and AWK scripts

Hello Friends, I am new to the scripting & have to analyze bunch of regular production scripts. It has .ksh which calls on the .awk script having many functions I need to understand and debug the scripts ASAP Can anybody please let me know as how can I debug, I want to see the flow of code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amberj123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding Awk and Cat

Hi Guys, I was recently come across some code to hopefully learn a little bit about putting Shell commands into PHP application to run on a Linux server. However, I don't understand the command AT ALL... and was wondering if anyone can interpret it: cat userIDs.dat | awk '{s=s+1; if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jordRiot
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk inside Awk expression

Hi, It can be used awk inside other Awk?. I need to get another text processing while other text process. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepeli30
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding part of an awk script

Hi I have an awk script running in ksh in which a section of code is picking out the datetime as follows: dia=`echo $starttime | nawk '{ printf "%02d\n", substr($1,9,2)}'` mes=`echo $starttime | nawk '{ printf "%02d\n", substr($1,6,2)}'` ano=`echo $starttime | nawk '{ printf "%02d\n",... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shajju
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

understanding awk in this script

i am analyzing a query written by another developer ,need to understand part of script am looking at a code ..and it converts comma files to pipe delimited and also takes away quotes from any columns, source field format: 2510,"Debbie",NewYork changes to target: 2510|Debbie|NewYork ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolrock
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding / Modifying AWK command

Hey all, So I have an AWK command here awk '{if(FNR==NR) {arr++;next} if($0 in arr) { arr--; if (arr == 0) delete arr;next}{print $0 >"list2output.csv"}} END {for(i in arr){print i >"list1output.csv"}}' list1 list2 (refer to image for a more readable format) This code was submitted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in Understanding awk if ( F ) syntax -

Hi Experts, I was looking at the below link, for finding words next to it, And unable to understand this syntax: Can any one please explain , what is meaning of this code: if ( F ) s = s ? s OFS $i : $i from:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding awk

I found this on an awk site and would like to know what it does: /CARS/{x="";next} {if(x)print x;x=$0} END{if(x)print x}' Does it mean if it finds the word cars it skips that line and then prints the next one? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : Need Help in Understanding a command

Hello I am working on a Change request and Stuck at a point. The below awk command is used in the function. float_test ( ) { echo | awk 'END { exit ( !( '"$1"')); }' } I understand that awk 'END' is used to add one line at the end and exit is used to end the script with an error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding awk 'expansion'

Heyas Recently i wanted to help someone with an awk script, but the end-script didnt work as expected. He wanted, if HOME was empty, to get the HOME of the current USER from /etc/passwd. At first i tried hardcoded with root: awk -F: '/^root/ {print $6}' /etc/passwd As that worked, i've... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
4 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)