Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: "Smoothing" the data
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers "Smoothing" the data Post 302600983 by cosmologist on Wednesday 22nd of February 2012 03:08:00 PM
Old 02-22-2012
Ok, I know what it is that confused me now Smilie

So in the example that you mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
For these points:

Code:

for a boxcar average of width 3, would you want:

Code:
(1+5+2)/3, (5+2+6)/3, (2+6+3)/3, (6+3+7)/3, (3+7+4)/3, (7+4+8)/3, (4+5+5)/3, (8+5+9)/3

What I was thinking was:

Code:
(1+5+2)/3, (2+6+3)/3, (3+7+4)/3, (4+5+5)/3

[If I am using the mathematical terms correctly this is convolution with a rectangle function, a special case of the boxcar function]..

Is there a way to modify your code to get that? Smilie

Thanks again for all the help!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps -ef | grep "string1" "string2" " "string3"

Hi all, can any one suggest me the script to grep multiple strings from ps -ef pls correct the below script . its not working/ i want to print OK if all the below process are running in my solaris system. else i want to print NOT OK. bash-3.00$ ps -ef | grep blu lscpusr 48 42 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2216
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

6. Solaris

The slices "usr", "opt", "tmp" disappeared!!! Help please.

The system don't boot. on the screen appears following: press enter to maintenance (or type CTRL-D to continue)...I checked with format command. ... the slices "0-root","1-swap","2-backup" exist. ...the slises "3-var","6-usr" -unassigned. :( (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
16 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
pnmconvol(1)						      General Commands Manual						      pnmconvol(1)

NAME
pnmconvol - general MxN convolution on a portable anymap SYNOPSIS
pnmconvol convolutionfile [pnmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads two portable anymaps as input. Convolves the second using the first, and writes a portable anymap as output. Convolution means replacing each pixel with a weighted average of the nearby pixels. The weights and the area to average are determined by the convolution matrix. The unsigned numbers in the convolution file are offset by -maxval/2 to make signed numbers, and then normalized, so the actual values in the convolution file are only relative. Here is a sample convolution file; it does a simple average of the nine immediate neighbors, resulting in a smoothed image: P2 3 3 18 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 To see how this works, do the above-mentioned offset: 10 - 18/2 gives 1. The possible range of values is from 0 to 18, and after the off- set that's -9 to 9. The normalization step makes the range -1 to 1, and the values get scaled correspondingly so they become 1/9 - exactly what you want. The equivalent matrix for 5x5 smoothing would have maxval 50 and be filled with 26. The convolution file will usually be a graymap, so that the same convolution gets applied to each color component. However, if you want to use a pixmap and do a different convolution to different colors, you can certainly do that. At the edges of the convolved image, where the convolution matrix would extend over the edge of the image, pnmconvol just copies the input pixels directly to the output. SEE ALSO
pnmsmooth(1), pnm(5) AUTHORS
Copyright (C) 1989, 1991 by Jef Poskanzer. Modified 26 November 1994 by Mike Burns, burns@chem.psu.edu 26 November 1994 pnmconvol(1)