Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: run command with ssh[solved]
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting run command with ssh[solved] Post 302600971 by DGPickett on Wednesday 22nd of February 2012 02:41:05 PM
Old 02-22-2012
I find echo '...'| does even less substitution that a <<here document. I never got a speed difference but suspect the here overhead is more than the echo. Also, the echo is directly viewable in final form. However, the $# can be handy, like having a remote script but not having a second file to maintain and distribute.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get ssh to run a command in one line?

How would I combine something like: localserver# ssh remoteserver remoteserver# find blah blah blah into a one liner that would ssh to the remote server and run the find command, so I could put it in a script to automatically go out and run things on remote servers with out needed user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run a command in different machine using SSH

how to run a command in different machie in my case script will runs in solaries machine.. in one instance it has to run a command in different machine with different operating system ( linux ) using SSH command i tried ssh -l (login_name) (machine name/host ) " command " but it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Run command on sc via ssh

when i run a command on ALOM via ssh i get following error ssh root@10.23.12.51 showhosts Password: Waiting for daemons to initialize... Daemons ready shell: Invalid credentials how can i run commands without actually loging to the sc (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Killing 3rd command in ssh chain

Hi All, Noob question here... How do I kill the 3rd command in this ssh chain effectively? # ssh -t -t 10.80.0.5 'ssh 10.80.0.6 | /var/tmp/some_script' The "/var/tmp/some_script" contains: ssh 10.80.0.81 'echo "Hello World!!!!" >> /tmp/sample.txt'The problem is that once the sample.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NYG71
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl command in script[solved]

Hi all, When I put the Perl command in a script, I got error. system("perl -pi -e 's@words@words@g' myFile"); The error is: Unrecognized character \x8A; marked by <-- HERE after دت مد�<-- HERE near column 15 at -e line 1. Thanks in advance. ---------- Post updated at 06:30 AM... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lham
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] put dd | ssh command in backgound

Greetings, I have an issue that has baffled me. I have done many searches, read the man documentation, and I have yet to find a solution. I am trying to run the following command within a script to copy a file across servers: $(dd if="$FDIR" bs=1024 2> /dev/null | ssh "$(whoami)@$SERVER"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unaligned
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to run command after ssh

Hello, I am trying to create a ksh script to login to server and collect gather output of some command to troubleshoot some issue. DATE=`date +%b.%d.%Y.%M.%H` echo " Enter emp id to login to server" read Eid Eid=$Eid echo " Enter hostname of the system" read HOST HOST=$HOST... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for telnet and run one command kill it and run another command using while loop

( sleep 3 echo ${LOGIN} sleep 2 echo ${PSWD} sleep 2 while read line do echo "$line" PID=$? sleep 2 kill -9 $PID done < temp sleep 5 echo "exit" ) | telnet ${HOST} while is executing only command and exits. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sooda
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] Process ssh command in while loop

I have a script that reads a file containing a list of server names. It's suppose to loop through the list of names and execute a command on the remote server using ssh. It processes the ssh command for the first server in the list and then exits. Here's the code: #!/bin/bash ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Run awk command inside ssh

I am trying to run an awk command inside of ssh and it is not working. These are AIX servers. for i in `cat servers`; do ssh $i "/bin/hostname; df -g | awk '/dev/ && $4+0 > 70'"; done server1 server2 server3 server4 I also tried these two methods and they did not work. It just seemed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
5 Replies
subst(3tcl)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       subst(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(3tcl), eval(3tcl), break(3tcl), continue(3tcl) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(3tcl)