Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting inconsistent output using date() Post 302600675 by mdlloyd7 on Tuesday 21st of February 2012 10:56:06 PM
Old 02-21-2012
It is an "ell" -- so I think that is good. I'm new to shell/bash, so forgive my ignorance, but how do I check to see if my bash has the strftime built in?

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inconsistent memory usage display

When i was trying to store a file of size 743 MB into a directory i got a msg. that the disk is full. But when i used the df -k . command on that directory it showed only 40% in usage and the disk had more than enough memory for the file. When i checked the syslog i found that at that instant of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spdas
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Why are these inconsistent?

Hi I am using HP - UX... When I execute the below commands I get these results... Why do i get a different shell value when i run echo $SHELL? # echo $0 ksh # echo $SHELL sh # ps -p$$ PID TTY TIME COMMAND 4013 pts/7 0:00 ksh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurubarancse
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent variable assignment issue

I am using a piece of code which is working fine in some cases and is not working in some other instances. All I am doing is grep'ing and concatenating. Below is a working scenario. $ echo $var1 REPLYFILENAME=Options_NSE1.txt.enc $ FILE_NM=`echo ${var1##*=}`.gz (Take everything after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamjam10k
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

inconsistent cat output

Hi I'm executing a menu script in which I `cat a file` but it's giving different output some times. Following is the code fragment taken from my script. while true do cat procs.configured echo ---------separator-------------- sleep 3 done when I execute this code fragment, `cat` outputs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps -eaf gives inconsistent result

The command ps -eaf gives inconsistent result when executed on XYZ server (the command shows 1, 2 or 3 instances of the process. Ideally it should show only 1). I have attached the script file that was executed and the corresponding output. When the same script was executed on ABC server it gave... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rebels
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing Output Date to Current System Date

Hi Guys, Anyone who knows how to compare the current date with the a file containing a date, say for example I have a file that looks like this: Command was launched from partition 0. ------------------------------------------------ Executing command in server server6 Fri Dec 16... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent column printing

Hi, I have a file that has inconsistently numbered columns. Like row1 has 23 columns, and row 2 has 34 columns etc. I would like to re-order the first 8 columns as required and from the 9th column till the end, I would like to print it as it is. I tried to read the re-ordered 8 columns... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Iostat inconsistent avgrq-sz

Hi Experts, I have an issue with performance of oracle, the db sits on EBS volumes on and aws EC2 instance. I have captured the iostat data and feed it to iostat_plotter to forward it to the DB administrators. However what I'm trying to understand is the variable avgrq-sz, it is quite in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent behavior when sorting by column

I'm trying to sort the list below, so that multiple instances of the form pass=i_d=j are contiguous. Curiously, the standard sort command to do this works some of the time (it produced the output below) but not all of the time. the command I used was cat fileName | sort -k1.26,1.26n... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeoKSimon
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Inconsistent disk information.

On one of the Unix server B.11.31. a disk that has been provisioned from the VMAX, but according to the diskinfo its show coming from clarion. sudo /opt/emc/SYMCLI/bin/symvg sho /dev/vg_<name> Volume Group Name : /dev/vg_<name> Volume Group Type : HP-UX LVM Volume Group State ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpatel786
0 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)