Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Low Virtual memory available
Operating Systems AIX Low Virtual memory available Post 302600599 by Corona688 on Tuesday 21st of February 2012 01:44:47 PM
Old 02-21-2012
I don't think high "file pages" is bad per se, if that's disk cache like the documents I've found suggest. The OS should give that up as easily as "free", and when the right things get cached(frequently used programs and data) it's not just harmless, it's highly beneficial.

But large amounts of disk access can cause cache pollution -- all the "good" disk cache of frequently-used programs and data gets recycled, to make room for the "more recent" disk activity caused by a big FTP transfer.

This useless cache will be replaced by better things once they're used again, but not before, which may be surprisingly slow once you're used to how fast they work when cached...

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

about virtual memory and memory leak

Hi, First of all I appreciate this group very much for its informative discussions and posts. Here is my question. I have one process whose virtual memory size increases linearly from 6MB to 12MB in 20 minutes. Does that mean my process has memory leaks? In what cases does the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
4 Replies

2. AIX

ulimits max locked memory virtual memory

Hi, Would any one be so kind to explain me : are ulimits defined for each user seperately ? When ? Specialy what is the impact of : max locked memory and virtual memory on performance of applications for a user. Many thanks. PS : this is what I can see in MAN : ulimit ] ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpu, memory and virtual memory usage

Hi All, Does anyone know what the best commands in the UNIX command line are for obtaining this info: current CPU usage memory usage virtual memory usage preferably with date and time parameters too? thanks ocelot (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocelot
4 Replies

4. AIX

High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage

Hello All I have a system running AIX 61 shared uncapped partition (with 11 physical processors, 24 Virtual 72GB of Memory) . The output from NMON, vmstat show a high run queue (60+) for continous periods of time intervals, but NO paging, relatively low I/o (6000) , CPU % is 40, Low network.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: IL-Malti
9 Replies

5. Red Hat

GUI for RHEL5 on low memory system

I've got RHEL5 running in CLI mode on a powerful workstation. It was a Pentium Pro 200 Mhz, but was upgraded to the new Pentium II Overdrive 333 Mhz chip. This machine has 128 MB of RAM. The video card is an ATI Radeon 9250. RHEL5 runs fine in 128 MB in CLI mode. It won't run in GUI mode... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux live cd for low memory

Could I please get some recommendations of a linux live cd for low memory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
FREE(1) 							Linux User's Manual							   FREE(1)

NAME
free - display information about free and used memory on the system SYNOPSIS
free [-b|-k|-m|-g] [-l] [-o] [-t] [-s delay ] [-c count ] DESCRIPTION
free(1) displays the total amount of free and used physical memory and swap space in the system, as well as the buffers and cache consumed by the kernel. OPTIONS
Normal invocation of free(1) does not require any options. The output, however, can be fine-tuned by specifying one or more of the follow- ing flags: -b, --bytes Display output in bytes. -k, --kb Display output in kilobytes (KB). This is the default. -m, --mb Display output in megabytes (MB). -g, --gb Display output in gigabytes (GB). -l, --lowhigh Display detailed information about low vs. high memory usage. -o, --old Use old format. Specifically, do not display -/+ buffers/cache. -t, --total Display total summary for physical memory + swap space. -c n, --count=n Display statistics n times, then exit. Used in conjunction with the -s flag. Default is to display only once, unless -s was speci- fied, in which case default is to repeat until interrupted. -s n, --repeat=n Repeat, pausing every n seconds in-between. -V, --version Display version information and exit. --help Display usage information and exit FILES
/proc/meminfo -- memory information SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), vmstat(1) AUTHORS
Written by Robert Love. The procps package is maintained by Rik van Riel and Robert Love and was created by Michael Johnson. Send bug reports to <procps-list@redhat.com>. Linux 18 Nov 2002 FREE(1)