Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script output redirection question Post 302600566 by bsrepellant on Tuesday 21st of February 2012 12:32:05 PM
Old 02-21-2012
standard out (if any) will then show up in the crontab owners mail if I am not mistaken.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Asking about shell script input output redirection

Hi, Can anyone please tell me what these lines do? ls >& outfile ls outfile 2>&1 Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trivektor
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell output redirection help

Hi all, Actually i need to know whether there is any way to redirect the output of shell operations into any file without pipe . Actually my problem is , i run some command & its result is displayed on shell after some calculations on shell, so if i redirect its output to file, it is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection and output

I'm redirecting the output of a command to a logfile, however, if the user is on a terminal I would also like the output to be displayed on the screen. tar tvf some_tarfile >Logfile if the user is on a term then have the output to the Logfile and also be displayed on the screen at the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nck
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Output Redirection of a Unix Shell Script

Hi Guys, I have a script for which the stdout and stderr should be redirected to a log file, they should not be printed on the screen. Could you please let me know the procedure to redirect the output of the script to a log file. Thanks in advance. --- Aditya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaditya
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection output

Hi there I have a script that runs but it outputs everything onto the screen instead of a file. I've tried using the > outputfile.txt however all it does is dump the output to the screen and creates an outputfile.txt but doesn't put anything in that file. Any help would be appreciated ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kma07
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input and output redirection filename within a script

Hello everyone, My requirement is that within a script I need to construct the command line exactly that it was invoked with. For example : sh a.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 < input.txt > output.txt Now within a.sh, I construct a file which has these contents " sh a.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 < input.txt >... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedonist12
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

output redirection to existing file question

So I have a existing file that I used the uniq command on and I need to save the output to the same file without changing the file name. I have tried $ uniq filename > filename then when I cat the file it then becomes blank like there is nothing inside. any help would be much appreciated... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output redirection in script not working

I need to count the number of lines in a .txt file and put it in a variable. I am using the following code #!/bin/bash count = $(wc -l "some file.txt" | awk '{print$1}') echo $count It is giving the following error. line3: count: command not foundWhat am I doing wrong here? :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: haritha.gorijav
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection of ls -l output

Hi I am making a script where i want to redirect the output of ls -l to a file Example #ls -l fil1.txt > /opt/temp/a.txt ac: No such file or directory I want to capture output of this command like here output is ac: No such file or directory can anyone help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anish19
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output redirection of c binary file to a file in shell script is failing

I am struck up with a problem and that is with output redirection. I used all the ways for the redirection of the output of c binary to a file, still it is failing. Here are the different ways which I have used: ./a.out | tee -a /root/tmp.txt 2>&1 ./a.out | tee -a /root/tmp.txt 1>&1 ./a.out |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maya29988
2 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						      General Commands Manual							CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab - maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [ -u user ] file crontab [ -u user ] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
Crontab is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the allow file does not exist but the deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines "your" crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(8) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(8) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) FILES
/etc/cron.allow /etc/cron.deny STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 29 December 1993 CRONTAB(1)