Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shifting result of echo by specific amount Post 302600289 by kristinu on Monday 20th of February 2012 04:23:36 PM
Old 02-20-2012
I have coded it like this. Suppose I want to have 3 blank characters before the string. If the string is longer than 20 characters, I would not have the 3 characters in the beginning.

Code:
set blk = ""                           # Create a blank string of size shiftWt.
@ x = 1
while ($x <= $shiftWt)
  set blk = " $blk"
  @ x += 1
end

set len = ${%strLst4}
if ($len > 0) then
  if ($i > 1) echo ""
  foreach str ($strLst4)
    echo "${blk}${str}"                # Add blank string to beginning.
  end
  @ i++
endif

Last edited by kristinu; 02-20-2012 at 06:16 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo command result

hello how can i print to screen the result of this command ? echo "pwd | sed 's/.*foo//'" when i type it im geting it printed as string "pwd | sed 's/.*DevEnv//'" and not the result of the operetion. tnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shifting of lines in a file

Hi all, I am using the below command to shift the lines in a file which was advised by Anchal in this forum: awk -v total_records=$(cat redirects.virgin-atlantic.com.conf | wc -l) '{ if(NR>(total_records - 2)) printf "\t%s\n", $0; else print $0 }' align but I am getting the below error:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shazin
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to format sql result as amount - ksh

I am currently returning an sql result with a number value that I want to format as an amount. The sql runs smoothly on its own, but when run inside my ksh script an error is encountered: ERROR at line 3: ORA-01481: invalid number format model My sql is -- select distinct ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avillanueva
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate specific amount of same characters

Hi, Is there a command to print one character x amont of times? I need for example 10 comma's (,,,,,,,,,,). Instead of creating a loop, I was wondering if there is a way to do this with sed or awk? Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
3 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Using ls or echo to display a specific output

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: What single command line would you enter to get the following output? 8140 drwxr-xr-x 9 root bin 18 Jan 20... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dasboot
6 Replies

6. Programming

Shifting text

I have the following functions which shifts the text by 4 and 8 characters. How can I pass an integer for the shift so that the text is shifted accordingly? void prValue4_vd ( FILE* stream, // name of output stream const char* value, // value associated with argument... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep a specific amount of occurrence

hey , i m trying to figure out how to do the following : i got a text file the looks like so: 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 1031 16500 16500 16500 16500 1031 1031 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting specific column and add result in output

Hi all, I have a quick question: I have a 4 column tab-separated file. I want to count the number of times each unique value in column 2 appears and add that number in a 5th column. I have the following input file: waterline-n below-sheath-v 14.8097 A dock-n below-sheath-v ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a command for specific amount of time with an auto key press

Hi, I have been trying to do a small fun project for myself. I want to run a command for 45 seconds. And to get the final output of this command, the script requires I push the "q" key on my keyboard and then the final output file becomes available. I tried the following script. But it... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get or print specific value in result

i am executing below code to achive my result, but for second row the value is not coming it should come URL like other two . url start with http:// and end with .xhtml cat FILE | grep 'Test failed' | awk -F',' '{print $3,$8,$12}' INPUT 1517679173303,84,SKILLED LANGUAGE - ENTER... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
11 Replies
STRTR(3)								 1								  STRTR(3)

strtr - Translate characters or replace substrings

SYNOPSIS
string strtr (string $str, string $from, string $to) DESCRIPTION
string strtr (string $str, array $replace_pairs) If given three arguments, this function returns a copy of $str where all occurrences of each (single-byte) character in $from have been translated to the corresponding character in $to, i.e., every occurrence of $from[$n] has been replaced with $to[$n], where $n is a valid offset in both arguments. If $from and $to have different lengths, the extra characters in the longer of the two are ignored. The length of $str will be the same as the return value's. If given two arguments, the second should be an array in the form array('from' => 'to', ...). The return value is a string where all the occurrences of the array keys have been replaced by the corresponding values. The longest keys will be tried first. Once a substring has been replaced, its new value will not be searched again. In this case, the keys and the values may have any length, provided that there is no empty key; additionally, the length of the return value may differ from that of $str. However, this function will be the most efficient when all the keys have the same size. PARAMETERS
o $str - The string being translated. o $from - The string being translated to $to. o $to - The string replacing $from. o $replace_pairs - The $replace_pairs parameter may be used instead of $to and $from, in which case it's an array in the form array('from' => 'to', ...). RETURN VALUES
Returns the translated string. If $replace_pairs contains a key which is an empty string ( ""), FALSE will be returned. If the $str is not a scalar then it is not type- casted into a string, instead a warning is raised and NULL is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 strtr(3) example <?php //In this form, strtr() does byte-by-byte translation //Therefore, we are assuming a single-byte encoding here: $addr = strtr($addr, "aao", "aao"); ?> The next example shows the behavior of strtr(3) when called with only two arguments. Note the preference of the replacements ( "h" is not picked because there are longer matches) and how replaced text was not searched again. Example #2 strtr(3) example with two arguments <?php $trans = array("h" => "-", "hello" => "hi", "hi" => "hello"); echo strtr("hi all, I said hello", $trans); ?> The above example will output: hello all, I said hi The two modes of behavior are substantially different. With three arguments, strtr(3) will replace bytes; with two, it may replace longer substrings. Example #3 strtr(3) behavior comparison <?php echo strtr("baab", "ab", "01")," "; $trans = array("ab" => "01"); echo strtr("baab", $trans); ?> The above example will output: 1001 ba01 SEE ALSO
str_replace(3), preg_replace(3). PHP Documentation Group STRTR(3)