Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help: How to convert this bash+awk script in awk script only? Post 302599411 by alexscript on Friday 17th of February 2012 04:23:34 AM
Old 02-17-2012
Help: How to convert this bash+awk script in awk script only?

This is the final first release of the dynamic menu generator for pekwm (WM).
Code:
#!/bin/bash

function param_val {
    awk "/^${1}=/{gsub(/^${1}="'/,""); print; exit}' $2
}

echo "Dynamic {" 
for CF in `ls -c1 /usr/share/applications/*.desktop`
do
    name=$(param_val Name $CF)

executable=$(param_val Exec $CF)

icon=$(param_val Icon $CF)

categories=$(param_val Categories $CF | awk -F ";" '{print $1}')

echo " Entry = \"$name\" { Actions = \"Exec $executable\" }"

done
echo "}"

Someone could help to convert this script on awk only?
While maintain the same clearity as now with this hybrid combination of bash+awk?

Note:
I decide to split it for maintain the discussion more clear, with an initial problem and with a final end.
So now i ask only one question each time.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert a script in awk script

Hello guys, I have a script like: echo "Errores 0x01 `cat errores.log | grep 0x00000001 | wc -l` " > class_total echo "Errores 0x0B `cat errores.log | grep 0x0000000B | wc -l` " >> class_total echo "Errores 0x45 `cat errores.log | grep 0x00000045 | wc -l` " >> class_total echo "Errores... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lestat
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert this into csv using awk/shell script

Hi Scripting gurus, I need to convert following text snippet into csv. please help Input heading1 = data1 heading2 = data2 .. .. heading n = data n heading 1 = data1 .. .. Output data1,data2,....,data n (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: azs0309
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk script to convert csv to html

Hi Written some script to convert csv to html but could not add table headers.Below are the errors iam getting ./csv2html | more + awk -v border=1 -v width=10 -v bgcolor=black -v fgcolor=white BEGIN { printf("<table border=\"%d\" bordercolor=\"%s\" width=\"%d\"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeebala1981
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: how to convert perl script to awk in windows2003 server environment

For the following perl script, can anyone help to convert it to awk statement in windows2003 server environment ? Code: foreach $k (sort {$a <=> $b} keys %psnum) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tojzz
1 Replies

5. Programming

awk script to convert a text file into csv format

hi...... thanks for allowing me to start a discussion i am collecting usb usage details of all users and convert it into csv files so that i can export it into some database.. the input text file is as follows:- USB History Dump by nabiy (c)2008 (1) --- Kingston DataTraveler 130 USB... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: certteam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK manipulation in bash script

EDIT: This has been SOLVED. Thanks! Greetings everyone, I've posted a few threads with some quick help questions, and this is another one of those. I can't post enough gratitude for those much more knowledgeable than myself who are willing to give good advice for my minor issues. Now,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eblue562
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK in a bash script

So I am a newbie obviously but I need some help. I am trying to run a script to check that the number of fields in a database is equal to 4, if not they should try again and run an appropriate database file. The fields are separated by a semi colon. I've tried a lot of things, this what I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mb001
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with convert awk script into perl

Input file (a list of input file name with *.txt extension): campus.com_icmp_ping_alive.txt data_local_cd_httpd.txt data_local_cd.txt new_local_cd_mysql.txt new_local_cd_nagios_content.txt Desired output file: data local_cd_httpd data local_cd new local_cd_mysql new ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/Bash script

I would like to write a script to extend this command to a general case: BEGIN {s_0=0;n_0=0}{n_0++;s_0+=($51-$1)^2}END {print sqrt(s_0/n_0)} i.e. so that BEGIN {s_0=0;n_0=0}{n_0++;s_0+=($51-$1)^2}END {print sqrt(s_0/n_0)} BEGIN {s_1=0;n_1=0}{n_1++;s_1+=($51-$2)^2}END {print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert XML to CSV using awk or shell script

Hello, I am working on a part of code where I need a awk or shell script to convert the given XML file to CSV or TXT file. There are multiple xml files and of different structure, so a single script is required for converting data. I did find a lot of solutions in the forum but... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rashmitha
16 Replies
APSFILTER-BUG(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  APSFILTER-BUG(1)

NAME
apsfilter-bug -- create a half-automatic bug report for apsfilter SYNOPSIS
apsfilter-bug OPTIONS
none DESCRIPTION
With the apsfilter-bug script you can automatically create a bug report for apsfilter(1). A template report file is created which you can edit with your favourite editor ( emacs(1) by default, or whatever is entered in the environment variable EDITOR ). You will see a couple of lines starting with '#'; these lines will be removed before the report is sent. So if you want to use the '#' char- acter at the beginning of a line, just indent it with a space. A very important piece of the bug report is the debugging log created by aps2file(1), probably with a command like aps2file -D -o /dev/null [-P...] [-Z...] [input] 2> log.txt Unless you don't even have a chance to create a debugging log, it is crucial for serious bug hunting. After you have filled in as much (useful) information as possible, you must save the file under its original name, then exit your editor. If you invoked apsfilter-bug by accident, or if you need some additional system information to include into the bug report, just exit your editor without saving the file. NOTES
In addition to the stuff you've edited, some more information is appended to the bug report automatically: apsfilter version 7.2.6-stable ghostscript version (from 'gs --version') system id (from 'uname -a') configure options --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-awk=/usr/bin/awk --with-sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail shell executable /bin/bash awk executable /usr/bin/awk sendmail executable /usr/sbin/sendmail FILES
/usr/bin/aps2file script to create debugging output SEE ALSO
apsfilter(1), aps2file(1) BUGS
See apsfilter software center - http://www.apsfilter.org/ - for new versions, bugfixes and known bugs. Please use the new tool apsfilter-bug(1) to release bug- or problem reports. It automatically presents you a form in an editor window which asks you some standard questions. If you save and quit the editor session, then this report is sent automatically via e-mail to the proper apsfilter mailinglist. If apsfilter fails to print something or prints it in a way you wouldn't expect and you want to report an apsfilter error then please save the debugging output of one print session using the new aps2file(1) utility by typing aps2file -D -Z options file > /dev/null 2> file.debug and including the debugging output in the file file.debug into the edit session of the apsfilter-bug utility, so that it is included into the mail to the apsfilter mailinglist. Please note that you need to run /bin/sh (Bourne Shell), bash or a compatible shell, so that the above mentioned output redirection works. Under C-shell (/bin/csh) or tcsh it would't work. If you don't know, then simply make sure you use the Bournce shell by typing /bin/sh or bash, then you should have no problems with redirection of stdout and stderr (> /dev/null 2> file.debug). DOCUMENTATION
See official apsfilter homepage http://www.apsfilter.org/handbook.html Apsfilter Handbook including the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) USER FORUM
Please send questions to the official apsfilter help channel apsfilter-help@apsfilter.org. The above section BUGS and the file HOWTO-BUGREPORTS tells you how to report bugs. If you want to know how to troubleshoot your apsfilter installation, please read the manpage aps2file(1) and apsfilter-bug(1) as well as the Apsfilter Handbook carefully. HISTORY
The apsfilter-bug manpage has been written by Michael LoBin <phallobst@web.de> and first appeared in apsfilter V 7.1.0. BSD
Dec 26, 2001 BSD