Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to detect kind of command for root only? Post 302599378 by all4cfa on Friday 17th of February 2012 02:04:37 AM
Old 02-17-2012
Thanks Visal,

But i want to know exactly the difference between "run command" and "perform command" as you said.

I mean i can "perform": fdisk -h but cannot fdisk -l.

Additionally, how i can check or recognize what commands only perform by root because command to show permission (ls -la) not clear.

thanks all much,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some kind of message command

Hello All, hope someone here can help me with this. I am a new unix system administrator on the HP-UX machine. Every night, our operators back up our file system using one tape but as of recently, our files have gotten bigger and it now requires 2 tapes for a complete backup. Since the operators... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjit
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run non-root script as root with non-root environment

All, I want to run a non-root script as the root user with non-root environment variables with crontab. The non-root user would have environment variables for database access such as Oracle or Sybase. The root user does not have the Oracle or Sybase enviroment variables. I thought you could do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command to detect installations

Hi I'm wondering how I can find all the files which were installed on certain date? For example: I'm looking for alle the files which were installed on the 11.09.06 on the system. Does somebody know how to do this? Thanks Reto (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldenglobe
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to automatically detect command failure

I have a shell script. In this script I executes various command and my requirement is such that if any command fails I've to terminate the shell script. To achieve this objective I'm checking the value of $? after each command and if its value is greater thaen I 'exit' the script. Is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok2008
2 Replies

5. AIX

how to detect removable disks or volume in AIX using command

Hi I am new to AIX and any help regarding the same would be really appriciated, thanks In advance. My priority issue is how to detect from command line that the volume / disk on AIX machine is a USB or removable disk /volume and if possible can we list out details for that disk / volume (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mak_mailbox
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl-OS command to find out what kind

I need to know a command to find out which version of Perl Im currently running. Thanks Ben (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Migration of system having UFS root FS with zones root to ZFS root FS

Hi All After downloading ZFS documentation from oracle site, I am able to successfully migrate UFS root FS without zones to ZFS root FS. But in case of UFS root file system with zones , I am successfully able to migrate global zone to zfs root file system but zone are still in UFS root file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep command to detect presence of script run

i have this line of code on a korn shell script to detect the presence of script run: ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` sometimes this returns either 1, 2, or 3. when it returns 2 or 3 that tells us that there are more than 1 script of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Htop - How to detect exact command running at background

Hello, I am running a python file from terminal and I wish to see which code is running at background. When I use htop, I see just a few commands, unable to see entire command. htop > report nano report Output: ^ Following parts of ffmpeg line is not shown by htop. Just showing... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
7 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Detect and run command upon mouse movement

I am trying to find a way to run a command upon any movement of a mouse. The 1st statement shows the mouse co-ordinates. So it can detect mouse movement. xinput test 9 First list input devices: $ xinput list If possible, I would like to use it in a bash script. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
2 Replies
diskscan(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      diskscan(1M)

NAME
diskscan - perform surface analysis SYNOPSIS
diskscan [-W] [-n] [-y] raw_device DESCRIPTION
diskscan is used by the system administrator to perform surface analysis on a portion of a hard disk. The disk portion may be a raw parti- tion or slice; it is identified using its raw device name. By default, the specified portion of the disk is read (non-destructive) and errors reported on standard error. In addition, a progress report is printed on standard out. The list of bad blocks should be saved in a file and later fed into addbadsec(1M), which will remap them. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n Causes diskscan to suppress linefeeds when printing progress information on standard out. -W Causes diskscan to perform write and read surface analysis. This type of surface analysis is destructive and should be invoked with caution. -y Causes diskscan to suppress the warning regarding destruction of existing data that is issued when -W is used. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?[ps]?. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
addbadsec(1M), disks(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the diskscan, addbad- sec(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS format utility; however, to label, ana- lyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.10 24 Feb 1998 diskscan(1M)