Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Defunct Processes; Maximum Process Post 302598838 by methyl on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 02:11:54 PM
Old 02-15-2012
As well as kernel value the maximum number of processes allowed on the system (nproc) also check the maximum number of processes allowed for a single normal user (maxuprc).

You cannot remove processes that appear as "<defunct>" in "ps -ef". Most will disappear after a few hours. Any that persist are almost certainly stuck on I/O and only a reboot will clear them.

If by "defunct" you mean something else, please explain a bit more.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

<DEFUNCT> Processes

When I ps -ef I see about 3 or 4 <DEFUNCT> things - what are these, and what causes them? Are they a concern? How can I fix them? Thanks, Michael (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cuppjr
4 Replies

2. Programming

defunct process!!

how can i assure that daemon process which is being run as init child,can be removed immediately from system when it goes defunct or to avoid daemon process becoming defunt? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rish2005
5 Replies

3. Solaris

how do I kill defunct processes?

mqm 17700 16815 0 0:00 <defunct> kill -9 does not work, even as root (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about defunct processes

Hey guys/gals. I am new to the site and fairly new to Unix/Linux. I have a master netbackup server (solaris) that I get pinged on occasionally regarding defunct processes. (Usually over 50 or so of them.) I know what a defunct process is, but what is it a product of? Just plain sloppy code? (From... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EMCSANMAN
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats the difference between zombie orpha and defunct processes

can some one please explain zombie orphan defunct and how they r related (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbsrinivas
3 Replies

6. AIX

Defunct Processes

Hi, Can any one help me to get rid of defunct process on UNIX IBM AIX box. These processes started when the system was rebooted almost after 1 1/2 years. Once one defunct process is created then all the user ids get infected and in turn creates numerous defunct processes. We have tried... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: trokia88
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Abnormal behaviour of Defunct processes.

Hi All, Sorry to bother you all if my query is silly. Can you please clarify my doubts on defunct processes. Actually coming to the scenario, i have a server which is under cluster environment. Server B is having problems with the defunct process. There was a cron scheduled on Server B which... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddybs
0 Replies

8. HP-UX

Defunct processes are getting generated

Dear Sir / Madam, We have two socket programs which are running in background. These two socket programs are creating defunct processes in HP-UX which were not happening in Compaq True64 UNIX. What is the root cause of these defunct processes and how can we correct it? Your suggestion will be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcsahoo
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

defunct processes?

HiI had a tool fail recently, on analysis I found it was cleaning up orphaned directories that had been created by specific processes that had died for some reason, thus failing to clean up after themselves.The directories were of the form /dir.pid. The tool would look to see if any instances of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steadyonabix
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

How to clear defunct processes??

How to find out and clear the 'defunct' processes at OS and DB level ..?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SurajR
6 Replies
nproc(5)							File Formats Manual							  nproc(5)

NAME
nproc - limits the number of processes allowed to exist simultaneously VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values The system may allow settings higher than 60,000 but such values are unsupported. Setting below interferes with the system's ability to execute in multi-user mode. Some configurations may have a higher minimum. must be greater than must be greater than Recommended values processes per processor. DESCRIPTION
The tunable controls the absolute number of processes allowed on a system at any given time. Increasing it allows more processes, and low- ering it restricts the number of processes. You can determine that is too low when the message is seen in the message buffer. Use or to read the message buffer. This message indi- cates that an application was unable to create a new process. Setting too low can cause application failures due to an inability to fork new processes. You can determine how many processes have been used simultaneously by calling and examining the This field indicates the "high water" mark of the number of processes that have been simultaneously used. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone expecting to run large numbers of processes. Restrictions on Changing None. This tunable is dynamic. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? Increase the value of when running large numbers of processes simultaneously. What are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? None. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? Lower the value only to limit the number of processes on the system, or when there is memory pressure and the value of is far above the expected usage. What are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? Lowering the value increases the risk of application failure due to the inability to fork new processes. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? Increase to ensure there are sufficient threads for each process. Adjust as the default formula is multiple of A single user may not consume all processes on the system (see Some of these other tunables used to adjust automatically. These adjustments must now be made explicitly. Other tunables may require a reboot to take effect. So, dramatic increases in the value of without reboot should be made with caution. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. The effective number of processes allowed to exist simultaneously may be affected by the values of the tunables and Some applications may have been coded with a built-in assumption that the number of processes cannot exceed 30,000, which was the maximum imposed by prior versions of HP-UX. Such applications may fail on configurations which allow and/or create more than 30,000 processes. The HP-UX kernel creates internal data structures optimized for the value of the tunable parameter at boot time. After significant changes to the tunable it is recommended that a reboot be scheduled so that the kernel can reoptimize these internal data structures. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
ksi_alloc_max(5), maxuprc(5), nkthread(5), process_id_max(5), process_id_min(5). whitepaper, available on Tunable Kernel Parameters nproc(5)