Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell script menu problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script menu problem Post 302598825 by in2nix4life on Wednesday 15th of February 2012 01:56:57 PM
Old 02-15-2012
Here's a long-winded way that may help point you in the right direction by putting the menus in functions:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

function main_menu()
{
    while :
    do
        echo
        echo "MAIN MENU"
        echo
        echo "1. Main Menu Option 1"
        echo "2. Main Menu Option 2"
        echo "3. Main Menu Option 3 To Sub-Menu"
        echo "4. Main Menu Option 4 To Quit"
        echo
        read -p "Choice: " m_choice
        echo

case "$m_choice" in 
            1)  echo "Main Menu Option 1"
                echo
                ;;
            2)  echo "Main Menu Option 2"
                echo
                ;;
            3)  sub_menu
                ;;
            4)  exit 0
                ;;
            *)  echo "Bad Option"
                echo
                ;;
        esac
    done
}

function sub_menu()
{
    while :
    do
        echo
        echo "SUB MENU"
        echo
        echo "1. Sub-Menu Option 1"
        echo "2. Sub-Menu Option 2"
        echo "3. Sub-Menu Option 3 Back To Main Menu"
        read -p "Choice: " s_choice
        echo

case "$s_choice" in
            1)  echo "Sub-Menu Option 1"
                echo
                ;;
            2)  echo "Sub-Menu Option 2"
                echo
                ;;
            3)  main_menu
                ;;
            *)  echo "Bad Option"
                echo
                ;;
        esac
    done
}

main_menu

exit 0

Hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Script: With Menu Option

I am attempting to create a shell script with the following capaciblities: 1. Listed options to choice from 2. Use to perform awk statements 3. Print a report with the awk results My questions are 1. How do I select more than one file for option #5 and #6 2. How to I create an... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jroberson
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script menu problem

Hi there, I am new to Unix and at the moment I am trying to solve my assignment that is to create a script for the program to prompt user to type three codes, from user point of view it should be done by typing codes separating them by spaces. Then program displays a menu with these three... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dannel
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script menu

hi guys, how would you do the following? I have a menu with 5 options in my shell script: 1. Run function 1 against files 2. Run function 2 against files 3. Run function 3 against files 4. Run function 4 against files 5. Run function 5 against files I'd like to be able to run multiple... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Menu Script problem

Im new to unix/linux and am having trouble with this one. My problem is when i enter 9 to exit it doesnt do so. also option 6 doesent display the time. Its getting to be frustrating. I know there are probably alot of bug in this bu these basic ones are really odd. #!bin/bash # until ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: christ.666
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu using shell script

Hi, I need to have a shell script for the below need. 1. Menu with one heading and 4 options. 2. the heading and 4 options are taken from a file. File entry ====== Heading1|option1|option2|option3|option4| Heading2|option1|option2|option3|option4| 3. the user entries must be captured in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umastinu
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution Problem with dispalying file content using menu driven script

HI All.. below is my menu options script. in option 2,3 and 4 im giving input and they are saving into their respective text file. problem is when im trying to "cat" those files in options 7,8 and 9 im not getting the output. no respective file contents are displaying on screen. but if i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

A selection menu in a shell script

I'm writing a shell script and have a problem with selection when I issue the command, is there a way to automatically choose a selection number one after a selection menue appear Command 1-choice 2- choice 3-choice Thanks Sara (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu shell script help

Hi All, I have written a shell script that show menu driven option. My requirement is that in the menu driven option i want to select multiple choice. i.e if i want to select 1 or 1,2 or 1,2,3 or 2,3 etc .... Can some one help me in that My script. while true; do echo " " ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nawrajesh
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automate the menu options using shell script

I have a menu option which will look as follows Select a menu option 1.change password 2.login as root user 3.show system version 4.quit Select> 1 please enter the new password: unix reenter the new password: unix press any key to enter (then displays again the menu options to enter the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivakumar6g
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to include menu based options in Shell script?

Hi Friends, I have a menu based tool which requires input/option to proceed further. How to make a shell script ? eg: menu looks like Get_data.sh to continue (y/n) : Here I need to key in "y" to proceed. I want to prepare a script which should consider option y. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh3566
5 Replies
menu_item_value(3CURSES)				     Curses Library Functions					  menu_item_value(3CURSES)

NAME
menu_item_value, set_item_value, item_value - set and get menus item values SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lmenu -lcurses [ library... ] #include <menu.h> int set_item_value(ITEM *item, int bool); int item_value(ITEM *item); DESCRIPTION
Unlike single-valued menus, multi-valued menus enable the end-user to select one or more items from a menu. set_item_value() sets the selected value of the item -- TRUE (selected) or FALSE (not selected). set_item_value() may be used only with multi-valued menus. To make a menu multi-valued, use set_menu_opts or menu_opts_off() to turn off the option O_ONEVALUE. (See menu_opts(3CURSES)). item_value() returns the select value of item, either TRUE (selected) or FALSE (unselected). RETURN VALUES
set_item_value() returns one of the following: E_OK The routine returned successfully. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error. E_REQUEST_DENIED The menu driver could not process the request. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
curses(3CURSES), menus(3CURSES), menu_opts(3CURSES), attributes(5) NOTES
The header <menu.h> automatically includes the headers <eti.h> and <curses.h>. SunOS 5.11 31 Dec 1996 menu_item_value(3CURSES)