Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How can I send data to my C converter? Post 302598466 by ws6transam on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 02:02:56 PM
Old 02-14-2012
Thanks for the tip. However, as written, my C program called vdaqconv is still acting as if there is no argument being passed to it, and it defaults to the default directory and displays useage information. It then blows up with a 'terminated by signal 11' error, as no target file exists in the topmost directory. I *will* however, look into xargs more to see if there is an option that is required. I didn't know about xargs, since I'm still learning unix/linux.

edit--

Okay, I see what is going on with xargs. I used the --verbose switch and this was the output being fed to the converter:
First the input:
Quote:
msugws@dynamic-mackeyke-msu:~/Documents/Sample_data/SEY_subset> find . -name 'vdaq.txt'
./SEYSAM05/vdaq.txt
./SEYSAM02/vdaq.txt
./SEYSAM04/vdaq.txt
./SEYSAM01/vdaq.txt
./SEYSAM03/vdaq.txt
msugws@dynamic-mackeyke-msu:~/Documents/Sample_data/SEY_subset>
Next, the command with the --verbose enabled:
Quote:
msugws@dynamic-mackeyke-msu:~/Documents/Sample_data/SEY_subset> find . -name 'vdaq.txt' | xargs --verbose vdaqconv
vdaqconv ./SEYSAM05/vdaq.txt ./SEYSAM02/vdaq.txt ./SEYSAM04/vdaq.txt ./SEYSAM01/vdaq.txt ./SEYSAM03/vdaq.txt

Using default directory and default name vdaq.txt

VDAQ2SEIS Revision {26/JAN/2012} : D Burk, NERSP Engineer,

Usage: vdaq2seis [switches] vdaqfile

vdaqfile = vdaq.txt ascii file (input)
stuff cut here
The path is stored as './viseis.hdr'
Reading file 'vdaq.txt'
xargs: vdaqconv: terminated by signal 11
msugws@dynamic-mackeyke-msu:~/Documents/Sample_data/SEY_subset>
So apparently, the xargs is loading all of the lines into the command line argument separated with white space. Either I need to rework my converter to handle an arbitrary number of command line arguments (up to between one and two thousand), or else come up with an alternative method. Maybe I can use xargs with a temporary file: Dump the find data into a file, open the file, use it for the conversion, then delete the file. Maybe embed it all in a .ksh script or something.

--Gotta go, thanks for your help thus far. It's gotten me unstuck, anyway and thinking about options.

Last edited by ws6transam; 02-14-2012 at 03:26 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Send flaged data ..

Hello ! I'm writing a chat program , and I have a curiozity. I'm curently using two ports ( sockets ) for client - server interconections. One socket is used for ordinary ( normal ) data ( Ex : data on main-chat ) , and the another ( two socket ) is used to send management data : ( Ex... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: !_30
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter data and send email

Need script....We get sar file sa15 with 7 days data which gets appended.. we want filter and parse the outptu such that we should filter only last 48 hours data and then email it to out team. we read -- sar -f sa15 Please help me with the script either by use sar itself or even sar and awk... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: noorm
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send data to standard input

Hello, I'm writting a korn script that executes a daemon in a remote server. The problem is that daemon doesn't go background until it receives an enter from the standard input, and it maintains the rsh opened until it get it. I'm looking for the best (efficient and elegant) way to do send the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nefeli
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

send data with Perl

Hello! I want to sent data (pictures: pic.jpg or textfiles) to a server. The pictures should be stored in \my_pictures\beautiful_images. How can I do it with Perl? I think, that I should start with a socket?? Do you have a tutorial or a site, where I can read about it? I use the IDE Padre /... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: la_dy82
1 Replies

5. Programming

sockets - can you send data while waiting on select()

Hey guys, Is it possible to have a worker thread send data out a TCP connection while another thread is waiting using using select() on that same connection? If not, then what is the correct way to maintain a connection, react to incoming data, and send data over a TCP connection? Thanks... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: scubanarc
16 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Send statistical data via SNMP

I am working on a SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc SUNW,Netra-T2000 With this command: (Unix based cronjob) tail -1 FSC-xxxxxxxxx.stat | nawk -F, '{print $2}' I want to send the numeric output of this command from a statistical file which is updating constantly via SNMPv2 every 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinktank
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To send a mail when the data in a folder changes

Hi All, i have a folder "fold" which will mostly have a date( like 1/2/2013 -a single date alone .whenever the date changes i shoud get a mail. could someone help me with this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahesh300182
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take Data From a table and send it through mail

Hi can anyone help me in writing a code for taking data from a table and need to send that data through mail using mail -x command.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

Packetize data to send it over tcp sockets

Hello All, I am very new to socket programming and client server architecture. I have to write a client which will send some data to server and server will display it on its console. I am ready with both client and server but my problem is with packetizing of data -- I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
1 Replies

10. Programming

UNIX C Send data to PHP

Helo, i try send data from Unix to PHP. What is the correctly way to do this ? i try: c char command ; sprintf(command , "php import.php %s",my_vars); system(command ); php $my_data = @ $argv; this work, but i am not sure that is the right way. an the special chargers are not in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freaky4552
1 Replies
dtfilsys(file formats)													    dtfilsys(file formats)

NAME
dtfilsys -- CDE file system; directory tree structure DESCRIPTION
The CDE file system is divided into three parts: the root system, /usr/dt, the configuration directory, /etc/dt, and the temporary direc- tory, /var/dt. The root system, /usr/dt, is a read-only directory. It contains all the files that comprise the CDE. The configuration directory, /etc/dt, is the directory CDE applications will search to locate configuration files that have been modified by the system administrator. Default versions of these configuration files are typically located in /usr/dt. The temporary directory, /var/dt, contains temporary information or information that varies in size and existence. Below is a diagram of the directory tree structure for CDE. /etc/dt/appconfig/appmanager/<Lang> /help/<Lang> /icons/<Lang> /types/<Lang> /backdrops/<Lang> /config /palettes/<Lang> /usr/dt/app-defaults/<Lang> /appconfig/appmanager/<Lang> /help/<Lang> /icons/<Lang> /types/<Lang> /bin /config /lib /share/backdrops/<Lang> /include /examples /man /palettes/<Lang> /var/dt/appconfig/appmanager $HOME/.dt/appmanager /help /icons /palettes /sessions /types The following guidelines apply to the contents of these directories: /usr/dt This directory is for use by the CDE system. Applications should never create files in this directory although they may read and execute them. /usr/dt/app-defaults/<Lang> This directory contains the localized versions of the app-defaults files for the CDE clients. /usr/dt/appconfig/appmanager/<Lang> This directory contains the localized versions of the actions files used by the Application Manager. /usr/dt/appconfig/help/<Lang> This directory contains the localized versions of the CDE help volumes and help files. /usr/dt/appconfig/icons/<Lang> This directory contains the localized versions of the icons used by the CDE clients. /usr/dt/appconfig/types/<Lang> This directory contains the localized versions of the actions and data types used by the CDE clients. /usr/dt/bin This directory contains the CDE clients. /usr/dt/config This directory contains default configuration files. /usr/dt/lib This directory contains the shared libraries used by the CDE clients. /usr/dt/share This directory contains CDE elements, typically ASCII files, that are independent of the architecture. /usr/dt/share/backdrops/<Lang> This directory contains the localized versions of the backdrops used by the window manager workspaces and by the Style Manager. /usr/dt/share/examples This directory contains examples of CDE functionality. /usr/dt/share/include This directory is part of the developmewnt environment and includes header files associated with CDE. /usr/dt/share/man This directory contains the man pages for the CDE clients. /usr/dt/share/palettes/<Lang> This directory contains the localized versions of the palettes used by the Style Manager to determine the color scheme. /etc/dt This directory is specified as the CDE configuration directory. /etc/dt/appconfig This directory is used to hold system-administrator defined configuration files /etc/dt/appconfig/appmanager/<Lang> This directory is used to hold system-administrator defined configuration files for the Application Manager. /etc/dt/appconfig/help/<Lang> This directory is used to hold system-administrator defined configuration files for the Help system. /etc/dt/appconfig/icons/<Lang> This directory is used to hold system-administrator defined configuration files for icons. /etc/dt/appconfig/types/<Lang> This directory is used to hold system-administrator defined configuration files for the action and filetype database. /etc/dt/backdrops/<Lang> This directory contains backdrops provided by the system administrator. /etc/dt/config This directory is to contain modified versions of the CDE configuration files (installed in /usr/dt/config). /etc/dt/palettes/<Lang> This directory contains palettes provided by the system administrator. /var/dt This directory is used by CDE for some log files, temporary files, and files that vary in size. /var/dt/appconfig/appmanager This directory is created at login and is used by the Application Manager. $HOME/.dt This directory contains information specific to the user. $HOME/.dt/appmanager This directory is used to hold user-defined configuration files for the Application Manager. $HOME/.dt/backdrops This directory is used to hold user-customized backdrops for the Style Manager. $HOME/.dt/help This directory is used to hold user-defined configuration files for the Help system. $HOME/.dt/icons This directory is used to hold user-defined configuration files for icons. $HOME/.dt/palettes This directory is used to hold user-customized palettes for the Style Manager. $HOME/.dt/sessions This directory is used to store session information between CDE sessions. $HOME/.dt/tmp This directory is used to hold temporary information. $HOME/.dt/types This directory is used to hold user-defined configuration files for the action and filetypes database. The Minimum Runtime Environment The minimum environment required for a system to support CDE consists of the following files and directories: /usr/dt/app-defaults/C/ tpad Dtksh Dtterm /usr/dt/appconfig/tttypes/ types.xdr /usr/dt/bin/ dsdm dtaction dtappgather dtappintegrate dtexec dtksh dtpad dtspcd dtterm suid_exec rpc.ttdbserver tt_type_comp ttsession SEE ALSO
dtenvvar(5) dtfilsys(file formats)