Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming How can I send data to my C converter? Post 302598466 by ws6transam on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 02:02:56 PM
Old 02-14-2012
Thanks for the tip. However, as written, my C program called vdaqconv is still acting as if there is no argument being passed to it, and it defaults to the default directory and displays useage information. It then blows up with a 'terminated by signal 11' error, as no target file exists in the topmost directory. I *will* however, look into xargs more to see if there is an option that is required. I didn't know about xargs, since I'm still learning unix/linux.

edit--

Okay, I see what is going on with xargs. I used the --verbose switch and this was the output being fed to the converter:
First the input:
Quote:
msugws@dynamic-mackeyke-msu:~/Documents/Sample_data/SEY_subset> find . -name 'vdaq.txt'
./SEYSAM05/vdaq.txt
./SEYSAM02/vdaq.txt
./SEYSAM04/vdaq.txt
./SEYSAM01/vdaq.txt
./SEYSAM03/vdaq.txt
msugws@dynamic-mackeyke-msu:~/Documents/Sample_data/SEY_subset>
Next, the command with the --verbose enabled:
Quote:
msugws@dynamic-mackeyke-msu:~/Documents/Sample_data/SEY_subset> find . -name 'vdaq.txt' | xargs --verbose vdaqconv
vdaqconv ./SEYSAM05/vdaq.txt ./SEYSAM02/vdaq.txt ./SEYSAM04/vdaq.txt ./SEYSAM01/vdaq.txt ./SEYSAM03/vdaq.txt

Using default directory and default name vdaq.txt

VDAQ2SEIS Revision {26/JAN/2012} : D Burk, NERSP Engineer,

Usage: vdaq2seis [switches] vdaqfile

vdaqfile = vdaq.txt ascii file (input)
stuff cut here
The path is stored as './viseis.hdr'
Reading file 'vdaq.txt'
xargs: vdaqconv: terminated by signal 11
msugws@dynamic-mackeyke-msu:~/Documents/Sample_data/SEY_subset>
So apparently, the xargs is loading all of the lines into the command line argument separated with white space. Either I need to rework my converter to handle an arbitrary number of command line arguments (up to between one and two thousand), or else come up with an alternative method. Maybe I can use xargs with a temporary file: Dump the find data into a file, open the file, use it for the conversion, then delete the file. Maybe embed it all in a .ksh script or something.

--Gotta go, thanks for your help thus far. It's gotten me unstuck, anyway and thinking about options.

Last edited by ws6transam; 02-14-2012 at 03:26 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Send flaged data ..

Hello ! I'm writing a chat program , and I have a curiozity. I'm curently using two ports ( sockets ) for client - server interconections. One socket is used for ordinary ( normal ) data ( Ex : data on main-chat ) , and the another ( two socket ) is used to send management data : ( Ex... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: !_30
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter data and send email

Need script....We get sar file sa15 with 7 days data which gets appended.. we want filter and parse the outptu such that we should filter only last 48 hours data and then email it to out team. we read -- sar -f sa15 Please help me with the script either by use sar itself or even sar and awk... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: noorm
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send data to standard input

Hello, I'm writting a korn script that executes a daemon in a remote server. The problem is that daemon doesn't go background until it receives an enter from the standard input, and it maintains the rsh opened until it get it. I'm looking for the best (efficient and elegant) way to do send the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nefeli
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

send data with Perl

Hello! I want to sent data (pictures: pic.jpg or textfiles) to a server. The pictures should be stored in \my_pictures\beautiful_images. How can I do it with Perl? I think, that I should start with a socket?? Do you have a tutorial or a site, where I can read about it? I use the IDE Padre /... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: la_dy82
1 Replies

5. Programming

sockets - can you send data while waiting on select()

Hey guys, Is it possible to have a worker thread send data out a TCP connection while another thread is waiting using using select() on that same connection? If not, then what is the correct way to maintain a connection, react to incoming data, and send data over a TCP connection? Thanks... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: scubanarc
16 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Send statistical data via SNMP

I am working on a SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-03 sun4v sparc SUNW,Netra-T2000 With this command: (Unix based cronjob) tail -1 FSC-xxxxxxxxx.stat | nawk -F, '{print $2}' I want to send the numeric output of this command from a statistical file which is updating constantly via SNMPv2 every 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thinktank
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To send a mail when the data in a folder changes

Hi All, i have a folder "fold" which will mostly have a date( like 1/2/2013 -a single date alone .whenever the date changes i shoud get a mail. could someone help me with this. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahesh300182
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take Data From a table and send it through mail

Hi can anyone help me in writing a code for taking data from a table and need to send that data through mail using mail -x command.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
3 Replies

9. IP Networking

Packetize data to send it over tcp sockets

Hello All, I am very new to socket programming and client server architecture. I have to write a client which will send some data to server and server will display it on its console. I am ready with both client and server but my problem is with packetizing of data -- I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
1 Replies

10. Programming

UNIX C Send data to PHP

Helo, i try send data from Unix to PHP. What is the correctly way to do this ? i try: c char command ; sprintf(command , "php import.php %s",my_vars); system(command ); php $my_data = @ $argv; this work, but i am not sure that is the right way. an the special chargers are not in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: freaky4552
1 Replies
rdfind(1)							      rdfind								 rdfind(1)

NAME
rdfind - finds duplicate files SYNOPSIS
rdfind [ options ] directory1 | file1 [ directory2 | file2 ] ... DESCRIPTION
rdfind finds duplicate files across and/or within several directories. It calculates checksum only if necessary. rdfind runs in O(Nlog(N)) time with N being the number of files. If two (or more) equal files are found, the program decides which of them is the original and the rest are considered duplicates. This is done by ranking the files to each other and deciding which has the highest rank. See section RANKING for details. If you need better control over the ranking than given, you can use some preprocessor which sorts the file names in desired order and then run the program using xargs. See examples below for how to use find and xargs in conjunction with rdfind. To include files or directories that have names starting with -, use rdfind ./- to not confuse them with options. RANKING
Given two or more equal files, the one with the highest rank is selected to be the original and the rest are duplicates. The rules of rank- ing are given below, where the rules are executed from start until an original has been found. Given two files A and B which have equal content, the ranking is as follows: If A was found while scanning an input argument earlier than than B, A is higher ranked. If A was found at a depth lower than B, A is higher ranked (A closer to the root) If A was found earlier than B, A is higher ranked. The last rule is needed when two files are found in the same directory (obviously not given in separate arguments, otherwise the first rule applies) and gives the same order between the files as the operating system delivers the files while listing the directory. This is operat- ing system specific behaviour. OPTIONS
Searching options etc: -ignoreempty true|false Ignore empty files. (default) -followsymlinks true|false Follow symlinks. Default is false. -removeidentinode true|false removes items found which have identical inode and device ID. Default is true. -checksum md5|sha1 what type of checksum to be used: md5 or sha1. Default is md5. Action options: -makesymlinks true|false Replace duplicate files with symbolic links -makehardlinks true|false Replace duplicate files with hard links -makeresultsfile true|false Make a results file results.txt (default) in the current directory. -outputname name Make the results file name to be "name" instead of the default results.txt. -deleteduplicates true|false Delete (unlink) files. General options: -sleep Xms sleeps X milliseconds between reading each file, to reduce load. Default is 0 (no sleep). Note that only a few values are supported at present: 0,1-5,10,25,50,100 milliseconds. -n -dryrun displays what should have been done, dont actually delete or link anything. -h, -help, --help displays brief help message. -v, -version, --version displays version number. EXAMPLES
Search for duplicate files in home directory and a backup directory: rdfind ~ /mnt/backup Delete duplicate in a backup directory: rdfind -deletefiles true /mnt/backup Search for duplicate files in directories called foo: find . -type d -name foo -print0 |xargs -0 rdfind FILES
results.txt (the default name is results.txt and can be changed with option outputname, see above) The results file results.txt will con- tain one row per duplicate file found, along with a header row explaining the columns. A text describes why the file is considered a duplicate: DUPTYPE_UNKNOWN some internal error DUPTYPE_FIRST_OCCURRENCE the file that is considered to be the original. DUPTYPE_WITHIN_SAME_TREE files in the same tree (found when processing the directory in the same input argument as the original) DUPTYPE_OUTSIDE_TREE the file is found during processing another input argument than the original. ENVIRONMENT
DIAGNOSTICS
EXIT VALUES
0 on success, nonzero otherwise. BUGS
/FEATURES When specifying the same directory twice, it keeps the first encountered as the most important (original), and the rest as duplicates. This might not be what you want. The symlink creates absolute links. This might not be what you want. To create relative links instead, you may use the symlinks (2) com- mand, which is able to convert absolute links to relative links. Older versions unfortunately contained a misspelling on the word occurrence. This is now corrected (since 1.3), which might affect user scripts parsing the output file written by rdfind. There are lots of enhancements left to do. Please contribute! SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
Avoid manipulating the directories while rdfind is reading. rdfind is quite brittle in that case. Especially, when deleting or making links, rdfind can be subject to a symlink attack. Use with care! AUTHOR
Paul Dreik 2006, reachable at rdfind@pauldreik.se Rdfind can be found at http://rdfind.pauldreik.se/ Do you find rdfind useful? Drop me a line! It is always fun to hear from people who actually use it and what data collections they run it on. THANKS
Several persons have helped with suggestions and improvements: Niels Moller, Carl Payne and Salvatore Ansani. Thanks also to you who tested the program and sent me feedback. VERSION
1.3.1 (release date 2012-05-07) svn id: $Id: rdfind.1 766 2012-05-07 17:26:17Z pauls $ COPYRIGHT
This program is distributed under GPLv2 or later, at your option. SEE ALSO
md5sum(1), find(1), symlinks(2) May 2012 1.3.1 rdfind(1)