Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash - get specific character from the string Post 302598100 by Corona688 on Monday 13th of February 2012 11:05:33 AM
Old 02-13-2012
It ought to work. Try ${STR:${VAR}:1}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add character in specific position of a string?

Hi All, I would like to use sed to add "-" between the following string: Value: 20060830 Result: 2006-08-30 Pls advice. Thx a lot Victor (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorlung
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to check the first character in string

Hello would appreciate if somebody can post a bash script that checks if the first character of the given string is equal to, say, "a" thnx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ole111
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a string from its end to its start and stop when you find a specific character

How can I do this? Actually I have a file which contains a path e.g. /home/john/Music/hello.mp3 and I want to take only the filename (hello.mp3) So, I need to read the file from its end to its start till the character "/" Is this possible? Thanks, I am sure you'll not disappoint me here! Oh,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: How to remove the last character of a string?

In bash, how can one remove the last character of a string? In perl, the chop function would remove the last character. However, I do not know how to do the same job in bash. Many thanks in advance. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match string against character class in bash

Hello, I want to check whether string has only numeric characters. The following code doesn't work for me #!/usr/local/bin/bash if ]]; then echo "true" else echo "False" fi # ./yyy '346' False # ./yyy 'aaa' False I'm searching for solution using character classes, not regex.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Pulling first and last character in string

I am writing a bash script that will find all references to the “Well_List” in the “Comp_File”. I am filtering a Well_List that contains the following: TEST_WELL_01 TEST_WELL_02 TEST_WELL_11 TEST_WELL_22 GOV_WELL_1 GOV_WELL_201 PUB_WELL_57 PUB_WELL_82 . . Comparison... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: petfyp
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Inserting non printable character(s) in string variable

Hello. I have a string variable named L_TEMP to test a very simple filter. L_TEMP="50AwL.|KWp9jk" I want to insert a non printable character between K and W. I have try this : linux-g65k:~ # a='50AwL.|K' linux-g65k:~ # b='Wp9jk' linux-g65k:~ # L_TEMP="$a$'\x07'$b" linux-g65k:~ # echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: copying lines with specific character to files with same name as copied line.

I am trying to make my script as simple as a possible but, I am not sure if the way I am approaching is necessarily the most efficient or effective it can be. What I am mainly trying to fix is a for loop to remove a string from the specified files and within this loop I am trying to copy the lines... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allie_gastrator
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies
XmTextFindStringWcs(library call)										 XmTextFindStringWcs(library call)

NAME
XmTextFindStringWcs -- A Text function that finds the beginning position of a wide character text string SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Text.h> Boolean XmTextFindStringWcs( Widget widget, XmTextPosition start, wchar_t *wcstring, XmTextDirection direction, XmTextPosition *position); DESCRIPTION
XmTextFindStringWcs locates the beginning position of a specified wide character text string. This routine searches forward or backward for the first occurrence of the string, starting from the given start position. If a match is found, the function returns the position of the first character of the string in position. If the match string begins at the current position, this routine returns the current position. widget Specifies the Text widget ID. start Specifies the character position from which the search proceeds. This is an integer number of characters from the beginning of the text buffer. The first character position is 0 (zero). wcstring Specifies the wide character search string. direction Indicates the search direction. It is relative to the primary direction of the text. The possible values are XmTEXT_FORWARD The search proceeds toward the end of the buffer. XmTEXT_BACKWARD The search proceeds toward the beginning of the buffer. position Specifies the pointer in which the first character position of the string match is returned. This is an integer number of char- acters from the beginning of the buffer. The first character position is 0 (zero). If the function returns False, this value is undefined. For a complete definition of Text and its associated resources, see XmText(3). RETURN
Returns True if a string match is found; otherwise, returns False. RELATED
XmText(3) and XmTextFindString(3). XmTextFindStringWcs(library call)