Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris dvd/cdrom missing after solaris 10 jumpstart Post 302598079 by stockhes on Tuesday 14th of February 2012 02:28:33 AM
Old 02-14-2012
HI Getrue

Will try tomorrow - silly me forgot to insert a cd

---------- Post updated 14-02-12 at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous update was 13-02-12 at 03:41 PM ----------

same experience as with mount command

Code:
bash-3.00# lofiadm -a /dev/dsk/c1t4d0p0 
lofiadm: open: /dev/dsk/c1t4d0p0: No such file or directory
bash-3.00# lofiadm -a /dev/rdsk/c1t4d0p0
lofiadm: open: /dev/rdsk/c1t4d0p0: No such file or directory
bash-3.00# lofiadm -a /dev/rdsk/c1t4d0s0
lofiadm: open: /dev/rdsk/c1t4d0s0: No such file or directory
bash-3.00# lofiadm -a /dev/rdsk/c1t4d0s0
bash-3.00# 

bash-3.00# ls -la /dev/dsk/c1t4d0p0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          51 Jan 11 03:07 /dev/dsk/c1t4d0p0 -> ../../devices/pci@0,0/pci108e,4849@1f,2/cdrom@4,0:q
bash-3.00# ls -la /dev/dsk/c1t4d0s0
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          51 Jan 11 03:07 /dev/dsk/c1t4d0s0 -> ../../devices/pci@0,0/pci108e,4849@1f,2/cdrom@4,0:a
bash-3.00#

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 02-14-2012 at 03:40 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

still cant get the solaris cdrom!!

ok here is what i do and get: # mount /dev/sd6a /cdrom mount /dev/sd6a write-protected ok so what do i do its a external cdrom and its on scsi number 6. its a SparcSTATION 2. we're trying to put red hat sparc 6.2 on it but it wont boot. i am about to take the hard drives out and install it a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wixifer
8 Replies

2. Solaris

jumpstart Solaris 10 on Solaris 9 server

I just built a jumpstart server on a Solaris 9 sun box and have had no problems jumpstarting other sol9 boxes using the custom rules. I've also copied a Solaris 10 image onto that same solaris 9 server and have had problems loading Solaris 10. These boxes will go directly to the manual OS install... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: salty
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Jumpstart solaris

Hi all , I am trying to jumpstart ( webstart) solaris 9 on E2900 ( client) using the DVD of a V440 server ( jumstart server). I did the setup for the V440 as follows : cleaning up preexisting install client "XXXXXXX" removing XXXXXXXfrom bootparams removing /etc/bootparams, since it is... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
14 Replies

4. Solaris

Jumpstart Solaris 10

Hello everyone, I tried to install solaris 10 using the command # boot net - install. I take the image correctly but when you start installing the Operating system installation takes a long (4 hours I have left and not advancing but not send me any errors), it can be seen from the following: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yflores
7 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 on CDROM?

Hello, First i'm Dutch, and my English is not very well. Sorry. :D I have got a Sun Microsystems Ultra 3D (with SPARC processor). The file must be burned to a DVD. And my computer can onley read a cd. How to get Solaris 10 on a few cds? Please help me. Thanks a lot.. Greets. (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomW
21 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 10 missing /cdrom/cdrom0/

Good day everyone, I am trying to install some new senmail patch on my Solaris 10 system. I know the cdrom for my CP3260 blade servers in my rack worked for the last patches installed. However, when I went to copy from the .tar file from the cdrom to the /tmp. I received an error cannot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cookiecrumbs
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Jumpstart Solaris 10

I have a laptop and need to build an Oracle Linux kickstart server and a Solaris Jumpstart server that can build sparc and x86 systems. Is the best way to create a dual boot from grub for Oracle Linux and Solaris x86? Can the Oracle Kickstart be used as a Jumpstart to build both Solaris 10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gian
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Cdrom device possibly missing?

Hello, I am following the HPUX 11.31 install/update guide and I am trying to install "Update-UX" from the installation media. I put the CD into the drive, and I am trying to mount the device. The instructions state:Find the DVD-ROM device file name: ioscan -C disk -f -n -k | more A typical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Jumpstart from DVD

I want to have a bootable DVD that will perform a jumpstart install of Solaris 10 x86 I've mainly used JumpStart DVD (with Solaris flash archive) for x86 platform as a reference, and I used the sysidcfg, profile, rules, etc. from a working jumpstart server. For the life of me, though, I cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnojr
1 Replies
volfs(7FS)							   File Systems 							volfs(7FS)

NAME
volfs - Volume Management file system DESCRIPTION
volfs is the Volume Management file system rooted at root_dir. The default location for root-dir is /vol, but this can be overridden using the -d option of vold (see vold(1M)). This file system is maintained by the Volume Management daemon, vold, and will be considered to be /vol for this description. Media can be accessed in a logical manner (no association with a particular piece of hardware), or a physical manner (associated with a particular piece of hardware). Logical names for media are referred to through /vol/dsk and /vol/rdsk. /vol/dsk provides block access to random access devices. /vol/rdsk provides character access to random access devices. The /vol/rdsk and /vol/dsk directories are mirrors of one another. Any change to one is reflected in the other immediately. The dev_t for a volume will be the same for both the block and character device. The default permissions for /vol are mode=0555, owner=root, group=sys. The default permissions for /vol/dsk and /vol/rdsk are mode=01777, owner=root, group=sys. Physical references to media are obtained through /vol/dev. This hierarchy reflects the structure of the /dev name space. The default per- missions for all directories in the /vol/dev hierarchy are mode=0555, owner=root, group=sys. mkdir(2), rmdir(2), unlink(2) (rm), symlink(2) (ln -s), link(2) (ln), and rename(2) (mv) are supported, subject to normal file and direc- tory permissions. The following system calls are not supported in the /vol filesystem: creat(2), only when creating a file, and mknod(2). If the media does not contain file systems that can be automatically mounted by rmmount(1M), users can gain access to the media through the following /vol locations: +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ | Location | State of Media | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/diskette0/unnamed_floppy | formatted unnamed floppy-block | | | device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/rdiskette0/unnamed_floppy | formatted unnamed floppy-raw | | | device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/diskette0/unlabeled | unlabeled floppy-block device | | | access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/rdiskette0/unlabeled | unlabeled floppy-raw device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/dsk/c0t6/unnamed_cdrom | CD-ROM-block device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ |/vol/dev/rdsk/c0t6/unnamed_cdrom | CD-ROM-raw device access | +-----------------------------------+------------------------------------+ For more information on the location of CD-ROM and floppy media, see System Administration Guide: Basic Administration or rmmount(1M). Partitions Some media support the concept of a partition. If the label identifies partitions on the media, the name of the media becomes a directory with partitions under it. Only valid partitions are represented. Partitions cannot be moved out of a directory. For example, if disk volume 'foo' has three valid partitions, 0, 2, and 5, then: /vol/dsk/foo/s0 /vol/dsk/foo/s2 /vol/dsk/foo/s5 for block access and /vol/rdsk/foo/s0 /vol/rdsk/foo/s2 /vol/rdsk/foo/s5 for character access. If a volume is relabeled to reflect different partitions, the name space changes to reflect the new partition layout. A format program can check to see if there are others with the volume open and not allow the format to occur if it is. Volume Management, however, does not explicitly prevent the rewriting of a label while others have the volume open. If a partition of a volume is open, and the volume is relabeled to remove that partition, it will appear exactly as if the volume were missing. A notify event will be generated and the user may cancel the operation with volcancel(1), if desired. SEE ALSO
volcancel(1), volcheck(1), volmissing(1) rmmount(1M), vold(1M), rmmount.conf(4), vold.conf(4) System Administration Guide: Basic Administration SunOS 5.10 8 Feb 1995 volfs(7FS)