Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash - countdown timer
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash - countdown timer Post 302597805 by xqwzts on Sunday 12th of February 2012 08:54:48 AM
Old 02-12-2012
Thank you, but I don't have much time for learning how the screen works, so I would be glad to find some other way. Here is a test srcipt that I came up with so far:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

function countdown()
{
        local OLD_IFS="${IFS}"
        IFS=":"
        local ARR=( $1 )
        local SECONDS=$((  (ARR[0] * 60 * 60) + (ARR[1] * 60) + ARR[2]  ))
        local START=$(date +%s)
        local END=$((START + SECONDS))
        local CUR=$START

while [[ $CUR -lt $END ]]
        do
                CUR=$(date +%s)
                LEFT=$((END-CUR))
                printf "\r%02d:%02d:%02d" \
                        $((LEFT/3600)) $(( (LEFT/60)%60)) $((LEFT%60))

sleep 1
        done
        IFS="${OLD_IFS}"
        echo "        "
}

first()
{
  echo "before fork"
  printf "\033c"
}

parent()
{
  while [ 1 ]; do
  echo -ne "\r\e[4H"
  echo -n "parent"
  done
}

child()
{
echo -ne "\r\e[3H"
countdown "00:07:55"
}

first; parent & child

I would like, for example, the child process to print the time in the third line of the terminal, and the parent - just write "parent" multiple times in 4th line, in the same place, by overwriting the previous one. But both processes seem to be writing in the same line - can it be fixed somehow?

Last edited by xqwzts; 02-12-2012 at 10:19 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script - loop to countdown

I am taking a class in UNIX and have written a script that needs to countdown from a number that is read in from the keyboard to zero. If no number is given the start of the countdown should default to 10. I can't get this to do the default #! /bin/sh echo Enter a number here to countdown... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: froggwife
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display runnning countdown in a bash script?

I am looking for a way to display on a single line, a running countdown for a given amount of time in a terminal using a bash script. I am looking for this to use as part of a larger bash script that captures Video. The script sets up a bunch of parameters for DVgrab, and one of the parameters... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Starcast
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

countdown in unix?

is there a script to preform a countdown from 10 seconds to 0? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

countdown to christmas

was wondering if there was a script that would countdiwn the days until christmas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop! (the countdown!) :-) shell script help

Hi guys, I've found two nifty little scripts on these forums one which detects if the F5 key has been pressed: #/bin/sh _key() { local kp ESC=$'\e' _KEY= read -d '' -sn1 _KEY case $_KEY in "$ESC") while read -d '' -sn1 -t1 kp do _KEY=$_KEY$kp ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyone know of any FUN countdown script

Hi all, Does anyone know of any FUN countdown script that I can use for my script? At the moment, am just using sleep 10 or more and then print stuff into the screen to allow more time for the user to decide whether they want to continue running the script or abort? Just thought of wanting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script countdown

In the below bash when the perl is it possible to hide the commands from running on screen and display a process countdown? For example, on the cygwin screen now the user sees each process in the command running as running protocol refGene, running protocol popfreq_all, etc... Could a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash process timer

I have a bash with several processes in it, that I would like to include a progress bar or percentage complete. Below are two separate processes that, so the user knows that something is happening, there is an an indicator for each process. Maybe, at the start of each new process a printf the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Countdown timer with seconds

I would like this to work with seconds as well. #!/bin/bash # if ; then echo "Incorrect usage ! Example:" echo './CountDown.sh -d "Jun 10 2011 16:06"' echo 'or' echo './CountDown.sh -m 90' exit 1 fi now=`date +%s` if ; then until=`date -d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Banner Countdown Timer

Hello. I am pretty new to unix and shell scripting and I was wondering if there might be a way to banner a countdown timer inside a script. We currently have an existing script that does a 2 minute sleep but thought it might be fun to actually make it banner a countdown timer until it is finished.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumbelina
3 Replies
STOPWATCH(1x)															     STOPWATCH(1x)

NAME
stopwatch -- a stopwatch and timer program SYNOPSIS
stopwatch DESCRIPTION
stopwatch does what its name implies - enables hand timing much like a physical stopwatch. It can also be used as a countdown timer. Stop- watch has millisecond accuracy and no artificial limit on hours. DIRECTIONS
Press "start" to start the stopwatch and "stop" to stop it. "record" records the current time and selects it so that it can readily be pasted into other programs. Recorded times are marked with an L for "lap" or T for "total". When stopped, you can cut/paste/edit the time by hand and set it to any valid time. "zero" resets the time to zero. Holding down the shift key while pressing record or zero, records and then zeros the time. Time moves forward or backward according to the Run menu. By default, time is stopped automatically when either the lap or total time reaches zero. To disable the automatic stop, unselect Run -> Stop At Zero. AUTHOR
This manual page was adapted from the stopwatch documentation written by Don Libes. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this manpage under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. STOPWATCH(1x)