Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need the script to remove common strings,tags etc Post 302597663 by chihung on Saturday 11th of February 2012 09:55:49 AM
Old 02-11-2012
If your input is well-formed XML, it would be better to use XML XPath tools to extract the data.

Install Perl-XML-XPath in your system and you can use the following to do the job. This perl script take input from STDIN
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use XML::XPath;
$xp = XML::XPath->new(ioref => \*STDIN);
$nodeset = $xp->find('//project');
foreach $node ($nodeset->get_nodelist) {
  print $node->getAttribute('name');
  print $node->getAttribute('revision');
}

Last edited by chihung; 02-12-2012 at 08:18 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to chihung For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

different take on common ?: search for two strings and remove lines between them

Thank you for assisting, I've got a partial solution just needs a tweak. Hulk-BASH$ cat somefile.txt oh there is some stuff here some more stuff here START_LABEL stuff I want more stuff I want END_LABEL other stuff here too and even more stuff here too Hulk-BASH$ Hulk-BASH$ sed... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to find common strings in two files

Hi , I want to write a simple script. I have two files file1: BCSpeciality Backend CB CBAPQualDisp CBCimsVFTRCK CBDSNQualDisp CBDefault CBDisney CBFaxMCGen CBMCGeneral CBMCQualDisp file2: CSpeciality Backend (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find common Strings in two large files

Hi , I have a text file in the format DB2: DB2: WB: WB: WB: WB: and a second text file of the format Time=00:00:00.473 Time=00:00:00.436 Time=00:00:00.016 Time=00:00:00.027 Time=00:00:00.471 Time=00:00:00.436 the last string in both the text files is of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanthrajgowda
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find NOT common strings in two files

Hi all, I'd like you to help or give any advise about the following: I have two (2) files, file1 and file2, both files have information common to each other. The contents of file1 is a subset of the contents of file2: file1: errormsgadmin esdp esgservices esignipa iprice ipvpn irm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnux
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find NOT common strings in two files

Hi all, I'd like you to help or give any advise about the following: I have two (2) files, file1 and file2, both files have information common to each other. The contents of file1 is a subset of the contents of file2: file1: errormsgadmin esdp esgservices esignipa iprice ipvpn irm... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: hnux
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove lines containing strings

Hi Guys, I need some script in removing lines containing strings like ",, ," and "rows". Retain only numbers as the output. See below for the input and output file. INPUT FILE: 9817 9832 6285 6312 6313 6318 ,, , 6329 7078 7098 7130 7959 7983 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinpe
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove common file names from text files

I'm running on freebsd -- with a default shell of csh. I have two files named A and B. Each line of each file contains a file name. How can I write a script that removes all the file names in file B from A. I tried to use perl to create a huge regular expression with "|" separating the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed script to remove strings

Below am trying to separate FA-7A:1, In output file it should display 7A 1 Command am using Gives same output as below format: 22B7 10000000c9720873 0 22B7 10000000c95d5d8b 0 22BB 10000000c97843a2 0 22BB 10000000c975adbd 0 Not showing FA ports as required format... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Common prefix of a list of strings

Is there a simple way to find the longest common prefix of a space-separated list of strings, optionally by field? For example, given input: "aaa_b_cc aaa_b_cc_ddd aaa_b_cc aaa_b_cd"with no field separator, output: aaa_b_cwith _ field separator, output: aaa_bI have an awk solution which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CarloM
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read xml tags and then remove the tag using shell script

<Start> <Header> This is header section </Header> <Body> <Body_start> This is body section <a> <b> <c> <st>111</st> </c> <d> <st>blank</st> </d> </b> </a> </Body_start> <Body_section> This is body section (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
3 Replies
XPath::Node(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    XPath::Node(3)

NAME
XML::XPath::Node - internal representation of a node API
The Node API aims to emulate DOM to some extent, however the API isn't quite compatible with DOM. This is to ease transition from XML::DOM programming to XML::XPath. Compatibility with DOM may arise once XML::DOM gets namespace support. new Creates a new node. See the sub-classes for parameters to pass to new(). getNodeType Returns one of ELEMENT_NODE, TEXT_NODE, COMMENT_NODE, ATTRIBUTE_NODE, PROCESSING_INSTRUCTION_NODE or NAMESPACE_NODE. UNKNOWN_NODE is returned if the sub-class doesn't implement getNodeType - but that means something is broken! The constants are exported by default from XML::XPath::Node. The constants have the same numeric value as the XML::DOM versions. getParentNode Returns the parent of this node, or undef if this is the root node. Note that the root node is the root node in terms of XPath - not the root element node. to_sax ( $handler | %handlers ) Generates sax calls to the handler or handlers. See the PerlSAX docs for details (not yet implemented correctly). MORE INFO
See the sub-classes for the meaning of the rest of the API: o XML::XPath::Node::Element o XML::XPath::Node::Attribute o XML::XPath::Node::Namespace o XML::XPath::Node::Text o XML::XPath::Node::Comment o XML::XPath::Node::PI perl v5.18.2 2003-01-26 XPath::Node(3)