Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Spanish Characters get converted in strange chrac Post 302597212 by mrx1350 on Thursday 9th of February 2012 03:51:42 PM
Old 02-09-2012
Spanish Characters get converted in strange chrac

I am trying to sftp a textfile from windows to linux. The file includes some spanish characters. When I vi the file in LINUX, the special (spanish) characters get converted into some strange characters. anyone know how i can resolve this? for example México gets converted into México on LINUX.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Characters in Filename

Hi folks. None of the conventional methods are working for my dilemma: I have a file in my root directory that has a name comprised of strange characters. When I do an ls, it just hangs at that file until I do a Cntrl-C. rm ./filename & rm \filename do not work. I am entering the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lines with strange characters and sed...

Dear All: I Have a bunch of files which I'd like to process with a shell script. The problem is that the files have strange characters in their headers, like �g�8@L-000-MSG2__-ABCD________-FIRA_____-000001___-200806181330-__ ��e� Data from BLABLABLA, Instrument: BLABLA, Date:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luiscarvalheiro
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Keyboard/Spanish

I am looking for information to find out the easiest way to have my keyboard be able to do Spanish punctuation marks when typing in word processing in Open Office....... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: scuup
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Characters After Using Notepad

Hello all, I'm new to UNIX and new to this forum, so forgive my lack of knowledge. I'm new with editing in vi so I FTP scripts to a Windows machine and edit the script in notepad (when I need to do something quickly). Sometimes when I FTP the script back to the UNIX box, strange characters... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgower2
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk filelist containing strange characters

I've written a script: find -depth | awk ‘ { if ( substr($1,length($0)-2,3) == “/1.” ) { print $1 } { system(“awk -f test1.awk “ $1 ) } } ‘ The idea is that it trundles through a large directory structure looking for files which are named '1.' and then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nashcom
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a file that may contain strange characters

Hello unix users :) I am trying to grep a string from a file that both the file and the string may have characters in them that are quite... strange, like würzburger. Well, bash reads this as W%C3%BCrzburger For example, if i do wget W%C3%BCrzburger the output is: --2012-01-08... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

7. Hardware

Strange Characters from ILOM

Hello, I have an x86 server with an ILOM connection that produces strange characters when I perform a start /SP/console, see below: Oracle(R) Integrated Lights Out Manager Version 3.0.16.10.a r68533 Copyright (c) 2011, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. -> start... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
9 Replies

8. Red Hat

Unrecognized Spanish characters from windows to Linux

Background: I want to upload the file from windows to RHEL5 server, the file stores Spanish words with UTF-8 encoding. it's used as the data source for loading to database. some special characters in files like following. í ó Ñ á Linux setting: $ echo $LANG en_US.UTF-8 I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ambious
1 Replies

9. Programming

Strange characters in FORTRAN code output

Hi guys, After compiling a .f90 code and executing it, i get strange characters in the output file like : ^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ Are these windows characters? how can i get rid of this? Much appreciated. Paul (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
1 Replies
trbsd(1)						      General Commands Manual							  trbsd(1)

NAME
trbsd - Translates characters SYNOPSIS
trbsd [-Acs] string1 string2 trbsd -d [-Ac] string1 The trbsd command copies characters from the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. OPTIONS
Translates on a byte-by-byte basis. When you specify this option, trbsd does not support extended characters. Complements (inverts) the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose codes are 001 through 377 octal if you specify -A, and all characters if you do not specify -A. Deletes all characters in string1 from output. Changes characters that are repeated output charac- ters in string2 into single characters. DESCRIPTION
Input characters from string1 are replaced with the corresponding characters in string2. The trbsd command cannot handle an ASCII NUL (00) in string1 or string2; it always deletes NUL from the input. The tr command is a System V compatible version of trbsd. Abbreviations such as a-z, standing for a string of characters whose ASCII codes run from character a to character z, inclusive, can be used to introduce ranges of characters. Note that brackets are not special characters. Use the escape character (backslash) to remove the special meaning from any character in a string. Use the followed by 1, 2, or 3 octal digits for the code of a character. If a given character appears more than once in string1, the character in string2 corresponding to its last appearance in string1 will be used in the translation. EXAMPLES
To translate braces into parentheses, enter: trbsd '{}' '()' <textfile >newfile This translates each { (left brace) to a ( (left parenthesis) and each } (right brace) to a ) (right parenthesis). All other char- acters remain unchanged. To translate lowercase ASCII characters to uppercase, enter: trbsd a-z A-Z <textfile >newfile The two strings can be of different lengths: trbsd 0-9 # <textfile >newfile This translates each digit to a # (number sign); if string2 is too short, it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicating its last character. To translate each string of digits to a single # (number sign), enter: trbsd -s 0-9 # <textfile >newfile To trans- late all ASCII characters that are not specified, enter: trbsd -c ' -~' 'A-_' <textfile >newfile This translates each nonprinting ASCII character to the corresponding control key letter (01 translates to A, 02 to B, and so on). ASCII DEL (177), the character that follows ~ (tilde), translates to a ? (question mark). SEE ALSO
Commands: ed(1), sh(1), tr(1) Files: ascii(5) trbsd(1)