Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Sendmail Access DB Scalability Post 302596136 by citaliano on Monday 6th of February 2012 04:16:14 PM
Old 02-06-2012
Sendmail Access DB Scalability

Hello,

So here's what I am trying to accomplish. We have a sendmail server and we are trying to stop backscattering. One idea that we came up with to prevent this is to utilize sendmail's access database.

Basically we'd have the first line bounce all mail coming in to our mail server to users in our domain. So for example if my domain is example.com:

example.com REJECT

After that, we'd have a list of users that we'll accept and relay through our servers, like so:

user1@example.com RELAY
user2@example.com RELAY
user3@example.com RELAY
user4@example.com RELAY

To get this list of users, we'd have a script that runs a query to our ldap server for a list of active users and dump all of those users into the access file.

My question is, how scalable is the access database file? Would this approach work if our domain contained nearly 50k users?

Thanks in advance,
Corey

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

access file for sendmail

Hi, I have created an access file using makemap and write in user email address that wish to be rejected by the mail server but it doesn't work. I still can receive the emails from the domains that are supposed to be REJECTED. Please help. Sendmail version 8.9.1 Solaris 2.6 TQ (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liyas
3 Replies

2. Email Antispam Techniques and Email Filtering

Sendmail Access DB TLD Blocking ....

Now this is a bit tricky, but works great if you can decide which Top Level Domains or TLDs you want to receive mail We are getting so much spam from countries we never receive useful mail, I've been experimenting with blocking entire TLDs using sendmail access_db as an antispam technique. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. Linux

sendmail access file problem

I am trying to configure access file of sendmail to relay on certain domain. I noticed that it does not work if I put domain name but it works when I put the IP address of that domain. for example: zgoldz.com RELAY (does not work) RELAY (works fine) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jalmod
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix high availability and scalability survey

we're in the process of reviewing of unix infrastructure main objective is to consolidate on the less versions possible key decision factors are scalability and high availability options given our multi-datacenter infrastructure, features like HP's continental cluster are top on our wish list... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iacopet
9 Replies
Mail::Verify(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Mail::Verify(3pm)

NAME
Mail::Verify - Utility to verify an email address SYNOPSIS
use Mail::Verify; DESCRIPTION
"Mail::Verify" provides a function CheckAddress function for verifying email addresses. First the syntax of the email address is checked, then it verifies that there is at least one valid MX server accepting email for the domain. Using Net::DNS and IO::Socket a list of MX records (or, falling back on a hosts A record) are checked to make sure at least one SMTP server is accepting connections. ERRORS
Here are a list of return codes and what they mean: 0 The email address appears to be valid. 1 No email address was supplied. 2 There is a syntaxical error in the email address. 3 There are no DNS entries for the host in question (no MX records or A records). 4 There are no live SMTP servers accepting connections for this email address. EXAMPLES
This example shows obtaining an email address from a form field and verifying it. use CGI qw/:standard/; use Mail::Verify; my $q = new CGI; [...] my $email = $q->param("emailaddr"); my $email_ck = Mail::Verify::CheckAddress( $email ); if( $email_ck ) { print '<h1>Form input error: Invalid email address.</h1>'; } [...] perl v5.8.8 2002-06-09 Mail::Verify(3pm)