Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Amount of Network Traffic info from netstat output Post 302595840 by agama on Sunday 5th of February 2012 12:25:43 PM
Old 02-05-2012
I'm not sure what you mean by 'traffic,' so I'll assume total bytes. If not, the technique can be applied to other measurements.

The output from netstat is a total count since 'the beginning of time' which is probably the last boot. The man page I just checked didn't give any indication so that's my assumption.

Regardless, in order to know what your traffic is, you have to capture a baseline value, and then at sometime in the future, capture a second value with the difference being the traffic over that period of time.

A small script like this can present output counts by the minute:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env ksh

# print two values to stdout: outoctet count and inoctet count
function get_stats
{
    netstat  -s wlan0 | awk '        #<<<< change for your interface or remove for all
    /OutOctets/ { out=$2; next;}
    /InOctets:/ { inp = $2; next} 
    END {print out, inp }
    '
}

get_stats | read baseo basei   # seed the baseline values
while true
do
    sleep 60
    get_stats | read newo newi
    echo "inbound $(( newi - basei ))/min  outbound $(( newo - baseo ))/min"
    basei=$newi               # current becomes the baseline
    baseo=$newo
done

One note: Bash is not able to handle the syntax 'command | read x y' so this isn't a portable script. If you want to use this under bash you'll need to change each get_stats statement to these three:

Code:
values=$(get_stats)                    # bash compatable
baseo=${values% *}
basei=${values#* }

This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring network traffic

there are commands to monitor the memory, paging, io... how about network traffic. i mean commands to see whether the network traffic (LAN) is congested? the closest i got is netstat thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

How to capture network traffic

Hi, Can someone give me the clue on how to capture network traffic at gateway. Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
2 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Network Traffic

Hi all, Got a strange one here, well not so much strange, different :-) I need to work out if a server is particulary chatty, whether its talking / communicating heavily to a particular server, as Im planning to physically move the server to a different server, over a link. Hence the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
6 Replies

4. Solaris

'netstat' info on Solaris

Hello All I just wanted to know if on solaris ,below two commands need to be run separately unlike AIX where "/usr/bin/netstat -an -f inet " gives tcp as well as udp info. /usr/bin/netstat -an -f inet -P tcp /usr/bin/netstat -an -f inet -P udp Also is there any way i can make these two... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
10 Replies

5. HP-UX

Monitoring traffic in the network

I Colleagues, Somebody can say me how to monitoring traffic in the network. also I am interested in monitoring memory. if somebody to know a guide with command advanced in unix welcome for me. Thank you for adcanced. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
0 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

How do I know what traffic is in network port?

If I would like to know what connection , data , traffic in a network port ( eth0 ) , what can I do ? ps. because I always found the network is very slow , so I would like what the network port is doing . Thanks Login ID ust3 is currently in read-only mode for multiple infractions. Creating... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust03
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to throttle network traffic?

Hi All I am resilience testing an application that is spread across multiple servers. One thing I will need to do soon is throttle the network traffic for specific interfaces within the test cluster. Specifically, maybe make a connection take twice or three times as long to respond.... I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbq
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with netstat traffic server command

Help required for creating a unix shell script using netstat command for retrieving total traffic in Kbytes with the source and destination address. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samee
4 Replies

9. IP Networking

I would like to monitor network traffic for a computer on my network

My son does homework on a school laptop. I was thinking about setting up a gateway on my home network, so that I can monitor web traffic and know if he is doing his homework without standing over his shoulder. Ideally I would like to use the Raspberry Pi Model b that I already have. However, I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
15 Replies
netstat-nat(1)						      General Commands Manual						    netstat-nat(1)

NAME
netstat-nat - Show the natted connections on a linux iptable firewall SYNOPSIS
netstat-nat [options] DESCRIPTION
netstat-nat Displays NAT connections managed by netfilter/iptables which comes with the > 2.4.x linux kernels. The program reads its information from '/proc/net/ip_conntrack' or '/proc/net/nf_conntrack', which is the temporary conntrack-storage of netfilter. OPTIONS
-h displays help -n don't resolve IPs/portnumbers to host/portnames -p <protocol> display NAT connections with protocol selection (see /etc/protocols) -s <source host> display connections by source IP/hostname -d <destination host> display connections by destination IP/hostname -S display SNAT connections -D display DNAT connections -L display only connections to NAT box self (doesn't show SNAT & DNAT) -R display only connections routed through the NAT box (doesn't show SNAT & DNAT) -x extended view of hostnames -r <src|dst|src-port|dst-port|state> sort connections -o no output header -N display NAT box connection information (only valid with SNAT & DNAT) -v prints version FILES
/proc/net/ip_conntrack or /proc/net/nf_conntrack SEE ALSO
http://www.tweegy.nl/projects/netstat-nat/ http://www.netfilter.org/ AUTHOR
netstat-nat has been written by D.Wijsman danny@tweegy.nl The manual page has been written by marceln@xs4all.nl July 2002 netstat-nat(1)