Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read a file with n records as one big string using linux Post 302595599 by Scrutinizer on Friday 3rd of February 2012 02:05:37 PM
Old 02-03-2012
For limited size this might work:
Code:
awk '{while(s=substr($0,1,3000)){printf "%s",s;sub(substr($0,1,3001),x)}}END{print x}' RS= infile

-edit- it won't work if there are two consecutive newlines in the file...

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-03-2012 at 03:11 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check valid records in really big file with one commend..

Hi, I have a 5 gig file, no record terminators, field terminators are newline. The record length is 768 and I would like to check that every 768th byte is a newline and print out the byte position if it isn't. I would like to do this going either forward or backwards with one command if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtischuk@yahoo.
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read records from a file

Hi all, I have a requirement where I need to read records one by one from a file. I have tried this below code: while read mLine do echo 'Line = '${mLine} done < input_file --- But the problem here is im getting the records with removed spaces. --Supposer if the record is like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srilaxmi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need shell script to read particular records from a file

i am reading an i/p file input.txt as below and want to read all filenames as in highlighted in bold below and put them in a different file output.txt. can someone help me with a shell script to do this? thanks in advance regards brad input.txt --------- START TYPE:OPT INIT_SEQ:01... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bradc
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each 2 records from a file

Hi, I have 10000 records in my test.dat file All records are under the following format a,12,45,bn,c a,16,46,bn1,c a,18,47,bn2,c a,12,47,bn3,c a,11,49,bn4,c I have to read each 2 records and assign it into a temp file .Can anybody help me in this? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kavithakuttyk
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print #of lines after search string in a big file

I have a command which prints #lines after and before the search string in the huge file nawk 'c-->0;$0~s{if(b)for(c=b+1;c>1;c--)print r;print;c=a}b{r=$0}' b=0 a=10 s="STRING1" FILE The file is 5 gig big. It works great and prints 10 lines after the lines which contains search string in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash184u
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete records from a big file based on some condition

Hi, To load a big file in a table,I have a make sure that all rows in the file has same number of the columns . So in my file if I am getting any rows which have columns not equal to 6 , I need to delete it . Delimiter is space and columns are optionally enclosed by "". This can be ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemantraijain
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read records in a file and sort it?

I have a file which has number of pipe delimited records. I am able to read the records....but I want to sort it after reading. i=0 while IFS="|" read -r usrId dataOwn expire email group secProf startDt endDt smhRole RoleCat DataProf SysRole MesgRole SearchProf do print $usrId $dataOwn... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish468
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read File and check records for length

I need a script that will run in unix to: 1) Read and input file with 1 column that contains for ex: 0123456789 1234567890 ...etc 2) Checks the first column if it is: a. Numeric from 0 - 9 b. if it is not less... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a particular records from a file?

Hi All Can anybody let me know the code to read a particular record from a file For e.g. File Name: File.txt File content: Script_path=/abc/def/script/ File_path=/xyz/data/ Business Date=19990905 SERVER_NAME=Server DATABASE_NAME=Database Login=NewUser Password=NewPassword ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddhartha9833
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help for faster file read and grep in big files

I have a very big input file <inputFile1.txt> which has list of mobile no inputFile1.txt 3434343 3434323 0970978 85233 ... around 1 million records i have another file as inputFile2.txt which has some log detail big file inputFile2.txt afjhjdhfkjdhfkd df h8983 3434343 | 3483 | myout1 |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
3 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSuUser(Contributed Perl DocPerl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr - Use 4-argument "substr" instead of writing "substr($foo, 2, 6) = $bar". AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
Conway discourages the use of "substr()" as an lvalue, instead recommending that the 4-argument version of "substr()" be used instead. substr($something, 1, 2) = $newvalue; # not ok substr($something, 1, 2, $newvalue); # ok The four-argument form of "substr()" was introduced in Perl 5.005. This policy does not report violations on code which explicitly specifies an earlier version of Perl (e.g. "use 5.004;"). CONFIGURATION
This Policy is not configurable except for the standard options. SEE ALSO
"substr" in perlfunc (or "perldoc -f substr"). "4th argument to substr" in perl5005delta AUTHOR
Graham TerMarsch <graham@howlingfrog.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Graham TerMarsch. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-06-07 Perl::Critic::Policy::BuiltinFunctions::ProhibitLvalueSubstr(3pm)