Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help with simple Linux commands - NEWBIE here! Post 302595523 by loverangerguy on Friday 3rd of February 2012 11:00:53 AM
Old 02-03-2012
Error Need help with simple Linux commands - NEWBIE here!

Hey guys, I need help with simple unix commands. I'm a newbie to Unix and don't know these commands. Any help is appreciated.
Code:
 1.      Logon to Linux.

2.      Create a directory "Unix" under your home directory.

Command(s): ………………………………………….

3.      Create four sub-directories bin, conf, docs and data under the directory 
"Unix" created by you in step 2. See the directory diagram below:

Command(s): ………………………………………….

4.      Create the document called “sed-info” in your "Unix" directory using touch command.

Command: ………………………………………….

5.      Create the document called “join-info” in your "Unix" directory using touch command.

6.      While in the Unix directory, move the files "sed-info" and "join-info" to directory “docs” using a single UNIX command.

7.      Change to your home directory.

8.      Use a single command to rename and move the “sed-info” from the “docs” directory to the “bin” directory.

9.      Change to the data directory.

10.  While in the data directory create a command that would copy the “sed-info” from the “bin” directory and “join-info” from the docs directory to the “conf” directory using a) absolute paths and b) relative paths.

Command (relative path): ………………………………………….

Command (absolute path): ………………………………………….

11.  Move to your home directory. Create a single command that would delete the Unix directory and all the files and subdirectories of the Unix directory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

simple commands

Can anybody help me how to display a list of unix commands. I have an account in unix,just start to use it, but don't know how (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aningsabah
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie needs help with simple script

Hi, I'm just new here, looks like there is alot to read. I need some help on a simple script that i would like to make, and I honestly have zero experience with shell scripts or anything, so i have no idea what I am doing. I want to have a script that I can upload to to my webhosting... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: shizizzle
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple rm commands in my server

Hi all, I have PLESK to manage my virtual dedicated server. The most recent version left a favicon.ico file in all my domains and subdomains. I want to delete them without having to go into each individual folder. So I'd like to remove favicon.ico from every subfolder of /var/www/vhosts/ ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chickenhouse
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple newbie grep question

How come grep testfile1 won't find anything in testfile1 (even though the characters sd are there in great quantity), but grep '' testfile1 will find plenty? Do the single quotes prevent the shell from interpreting the testfile1 is interpreted as: grep *test whether or not characters sd exist*... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubleminus
5 Replies

5. Programming

newbie to unix programming in C, needed a few simple prgs on these functions!

Hi all, I am a newbie to unix programming using C.. So i would like to have a few simple C programs to start off with.. I wanted programs on learning , abort,kill and raise,alarm and pause,I would also like to know how to use the vfork() in a prg It would be really great if i can have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie problem with simple script to create a directory

script is: dirname= "$(date +%b%d)_$(date +%H%M)" mkdir $dirname should create a directory named Nov4_ Instead I get the following returned: root@dchs-pint-001:/=>./test1 ./test1: Nov04_0736: not found. Usage: mkdir Directory ... root@dchs-pint-001:/=> TOO easy, but what am I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwfay
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX commands newbie

Guys i am a newbie with AIX. I would be glad if you can help me produce answers in this questions. thanks 1. Check server connectivity 2. Check/review/investigate for login failure detection 3. Check/review/investigate for user login failure 4. Check/review/investigate for Revoke Detection... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: redtred
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with simple terminal commands

i am at home with a windows xp home, and i am using putty terminal to access my linux mathlab account, my task is to compile and run a C program, called a.c, i used gcc -Wall -g -o mycode a.c to compile it into a mycode file now when i want to run it, i was told i had to use $... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple problem for a newbie

I am trying to find a way to display just sudoers, passwd and shadow files without the extensions.. Thank you for any suggestions ls -lrt /etc | egrep 'sudoers|passwd|group|shadow' -r-------- 1 root root 1338 Oct 31 2006 shadow.sav -r-------- 1 root root 5191... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
4 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help with simple Linux commands

Hey guys, I need help with simple unix commands. I'm a newbie to Unix and don't know these commands. Any help is appreciated. 1. Logon to Linux. 2. Create a directory "Unix" under your home directory. Command(s): …………………………………………. 3. Create four... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: loverangerguy
1 Replies
ExtUtils::Command(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				    ExtUtils::Command(3pm)

NAME
ExtUtils::Command - utilities to replace common UNIX commands in Makefiles etc. SYNOPSIS
perl -MExtUtils::Command -e cat files... > destination perl -MExtUtils::Command -e mv source... destination perl -MExtUtils::Command -e cp source... destination perl -MExtUtils::Command -e touch files... perl -MExtUtils::Command -e rm_f files... perl -MExtUtils::Command -e rm_rf directories... perl -MExtUtils::Command -e mkpath directories... perl -MExtUtils::Command -e eqtime source destination perl -MExtUtils::Command -e test_f file perl -MExtUtils::Command -e test_d directory perl -MExtUtils::Command -e chmod mode files... ... DESCRIPTION
The module is used to replace common UNIX commands. In all cases the functions work from @ARGV rather than taking arguments. This makes them easier to deal with in Makefiles. Call them like this: perl -MExtUtils::Command -e some_command some files to work on and NOT like this: perl -MExtUtils::Command -e 'some_command qw(some files to work on)' For that use Shell::Command. Filenames with * and ? will be glob expanded. FUNCTIONS cat cat file ... Concatenates all files mentioned on command line to STDOUT. eqtime eqtime source destination Sets modified time of destination to that of source. rm_rf rm_rf files or directories ... Removes files and directories - recursively (even if readonly) rm_f rm_f file ... Removes files (even if readonly) touch touch file ... Makes files exist, with current timestamp mv mv source_file destination_file mv source_file source_file destination_dir Moves source to destination. Multiple sources are allowed if destination is an existing directory. Returns true if all moves succeeded, false otherwise. cp cp source_file destination_file cp source_file source_file destination_dir Copies sources to the destination. Multiple sources are allowed if destination is an existing directory. Returns true if all copies succeeded, false otherwise. chmod chmod mode files ... Sets UNIX like permissions 'mode' on all the files. e.g. 0666 mkpath mkpath directory ... Creates directories, including any parent directories. test_f test_f file Tests if a file exists. Exits with 0 if it does, 1 if it does not (ie. shell's idea of true and false). test_d test_d directory Tests if a directory exists. Exits with 0 if it does, 1 if it does not (ie. shell's idea of true and false). dos2unix dos2unix files or dirs ... Converts DOS and OS/2 linefeeds to Unix style recursively. SEE ALSO
Shell::Command which is these same functions but take arguments normally. AUTHOR
Nick Ing-Simmons "ni-s@cpan.org" Maintained by Michael G Schwern "schwern@pobox.com" within the ExtUtils-MakeMaker package and, as a separate CPAN package, by Randy Kobes "r.kobes@uwinnipeg.ca". perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 ExtUtils::Command(3pm)