Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Logic of owner of directory or file Post 302595442 by xbin on Friday 3rd of February 2012 06:37:52 AM
Old 02-03-2012
The $HOME/Library/Voices directory is a standard directory made when your user account was created. As far as forensics, use the command stat. This will list "birthtime"and give you an accurate creation date of the file/directory.

Last edited by xbin; 02-03-2012 at 07:44 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine owner directory permissions from within the directory

From within a directory, how do I determine whether I have write permission for it. test -w pwd ; echo ? This doesn't work as it returns false, even though I have write permission. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Owner of file gets 'not owner' error for chgrp

Hi Folks, I know that changing users and groups is pretty basic admin, but this one has got me stumped. When I try to change the group of a file for which I am the owner for, it still gives me a 'Not owner' error. For example, when I am logged in as 'webadmin', I have the following file: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brizrobbo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to parse a directory and its subdirectories and find owner name of files

hi all, i need to capture all the files in a directory and its subdirectories that have owner name different than the root owner. for one file it is " stat -c %U filename " but i need to search for each and every file and record it. thanks in advance (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vyasa
14 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display only Owner and directory/sub directory names under particular root

hai, I am new to Unix, I have a requirement to display owner name , directory or sub directory name, who's owner name is not equal to "oasitqtc". (here "oasitqtc" is the owner of the directory or sub directory.) i have a command (below) which will display all folders and sub folders, but i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Group files by owner and show directory

Hello, i would like to find huge files and group them by owners. To find big files i use this command: ls -lR | sort -bnr +4 | head -n 75 which give me 75 biggest files, then i need to see in which subdirectory is every file. second thing i dont know is how to group those files by owner, could... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealer1985
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete directory from ghost owner with awk

Hi all Unix gurus :) I really need urgent help with deleting ghost (owner is only numbers) accounts on our OS X server in users home directory. I get this ghost accounts after deleting a user from Workgroup Manager. I have done a script that I can see this ghost accounts with: ls -la |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: macguy
4 Replies

7. AIX

Unix root directory owner wrong AIX 5.3

The a chown was done and instead of using ./ a / was used and root ownership files got changed. I need to change the ownership of the files/directory back - backups are not working and I am concerned a reboot will not be successful. Can anyone provide the ownership of these files/directories... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: spike1
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Changing file/directory owner

Hi , I want to change owner of files or folder from 23186 to dsadm, Present ------- -rw-r--r-- 1 23186 gdstage 10240 Oct 31 2007 BLTRS drwxrwxrwx 3 23186 gdstage 512 Sep 1 2010 sql Required as ----------- -rw-r--r-- 1 dsadm gdstage 10240 Oct 31 2007 BLTRS drwxrwxrwx 3 dsadm gdstage... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Privileges : modify dir/file owner by other that's not owner

i need to do the following operations in solaris 10: 1.change owner and group owner for files which are not owned by the current user and user group 2.to can delete files in the /tmp directory which are not of the current user 3. allow to a standard user the deletion of files in the /tmp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sirmark
1 Replies

10. AIX

How to set owner and permission for files/directory in directory in this case?

Hi. My example: I have a filesystem /log. Everyday, log files are copied to /log. I'd like to set owner and permission for files and directories in /log like that chown -R log_adm /log/* chmod -R 544 /log/*It's OK, but just at that time. When a new log file or new directory is created in /log,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
8 Replies
MKDIR(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  MKDIR(2)

NAME
mkdir -- make a directory file LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/stat.h> int mkdir(const char *path, mode_t mode); DESCRIPTION
The directory path is created with the access permissions specified by mode and restricted by the umask(2) of the calling process. The directory's owner ID is set to the process's effective user ID. The directory's group ID is set to that of the parent directory in which it is created. RETURN VALUES
A 0 return value indicates success. A -1 return value indicates an error, and an error code is stored in errno. ERRORS
mkdir() will fail and no directory will be created if: [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix is not a directory. [ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded {NAME_MAX} characters, or an entire path name exceeded {PATH_MAX} characters. [ENOENT] A component of the path prefix does not exist. [EACCES] Search permission is denied for a component of the path prefix. [ELOOP] Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname. [EROFS] The named file resides on a read-only file system. [EEXIST] The named file exists. [ENOSPC] The new directory cannot be created because there is no space left on the file system that will contain the directory. [ENOSPC] There are no free inodes on the file system on which the directory is being created. [EDQUOT] The new directory cannot be created because the user's quota of disk blocks on the file system that will contain the directory has been exhausted. [EDQUOT] The user's quota of inodes on the file system on which the directory is being created has been exhausted. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while making the directory entry or allocating the inode. [EIO] An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system. [EFAULT] path points outside the process's allocated address space. SEE ALSO
chmod(2), stat(2), umask(2) STANDARDS
The mkdir() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). BSD
December 27, 2005 BSD