Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Edit a file using awk ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Edit a file using awk ? Post 302595285 by Corona688 on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 02:39:09 PM
Old 02-02-2012
First off, awk doesn't know that it's supposed to split on commas unless you tell it. It won't know to print out commas unless you tell it, either.

Code:
# -F controls the input separator.  You want ,
# -v can set any variable inside the program before it starts running.
# This includes special variables like OFS, the output separator.
awk -F, -v OFS="," ...

Second, instead of one big statement of if/then, you can make different statements triggered by different situations. Putting a condition in front of a code block controls when it gets run. For each line, they're processed in order.

So:

Code:
$ awk -F, -v OFS="," '
# This statement runs first, every line.  Deletes all quotation marks.
{ for(N=1; N<=NF; N++) gsub(/"/,"", $N); }
# This statement runs only on the first line.  Print fields 3 and 7.
NR==1{ print $3, $7 }
# This only runs for every line thereafter.  Print fields 3 and 8.
NR>1 { print $3, $8 }' data

startup timestamp,1327702381482
cpu combined,0.0900
cpu idle,0.9100
cpu nice,0.0000
cpu sys,0.0360
cpu user,0.0540
cpu wait,0.0010

$

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit entire column from a fixed-width file using awk or sed

Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4 12 Completed 08 0830 12 In Progress 09 0829 11 For F U 07 0828 Considering the file above, how could i replace the third column the most efficient way? The actual file size is almost 1G. I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamahomekarasu
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File edit with awk or sed

I have the follwoing file: This looks to be : seperated. For the first field i want only the file name without ".txt" and also i want to remove "+" sign if the second field starts with "+" sign. Input file: Output file: Appreciate your help (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk or both to edit file

What is an efficient way to remove all lines from the input file which contain a file name? inputfile: ======================= # comment # comment # comment 5 8 10 /tmp 5 8 10 /var/run 5 8 10 /etc/vfstab 5 8 9 /var/tmp 5 8 10 /var/adm/messages... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arsenalman
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and edit in the same file using awk

Hi, I am having a user.txt contains the name of users and passwd.txt file contains as passwd.txt $cat usr.txt root bin daemon cap $cat passwd.txt root:x:0:0:root:/root:/usr/bin/ksh bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/csh daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/usr/bin/ksh adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:/sbin/nologin... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manabhanjan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit fields awk

Hi there, i need some help please... I have this text, it's name data.txt that contains the following information: Mark Owen: 6999999888 6999999888 +302310999999 2310999999 Steve Blade Pit: +30691111222 2310888777 6999999888 John Rose: 2310777555 310544565 +302310999999 Mary Stuart:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark_orig
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk to edit a file..pls help

hey i want to over write the fourth field of a ':' delimited file by first finding the required row by using grep. i have done the following cat file | grep no. | awk -F ':' { $4=count; print $1:$2:$3:$4;} the correct values are being printed but nothin is bein added to the file..please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhe.arora
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get awk to edit in place and join all lines in text file

Hi, I lack the utter fundamentals on how to craft an awk script. I have hundreds of text files that were mangled by .doc format so all the lines are broken up so I need to join all of the lines of text into a single line. Normally I use vim command "ggVGJ" to join all lines but with so many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: n00ti
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

edit field using sed or awk

please help me to edit the second field using awk or sed i have input file below aa1001 000001 bb1002 000002 cc1003 000003 so i want the output file like below aa1001 01 bb1002 02 cc1003 03 (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: zulabc
38 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inline edit using sed / awk

Hi, I have file with all the lines as following format <namebindings:StringNameSpaceBinding xmi:id="StringNameSpaceBinding" name="ENV_CONFIG_PATH" nameInNameSpace="COMP/HOD/MYSTR/BACKOFFICE/ENV_CONFIG_PATH" stringToBind="test"/> I want to replace (all the lines) value of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shuklaa02
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit distance using perl or awk

Dear all, I am working on a large Sindhi lexicon which I hope to complete by 2017 and place in open source. The database is in Arabic script in two columns delimited by an equal to sign. Column 1 contains a word or words without the short vowel and also some extraneous information which is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
0 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)