Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trouble in getting user input while using CASE statement in UNIX Post 302595280 by gary_w on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 02:22:37 PM
Old 02-02-2012
New, improved version that clears the screen before displaying the menu:
Code:
#!/usr/dt/bin/dtksh

# set select construct prompts for each menu level.
typeset -r MAINPROMPT="Select a main option: "
typeset -r MANGOPROMPT="Select mango option: "

#  Loop main menu until user exits explicitly.
while :
do
   clear
  print "\nMenu Title Goes Here\n"
  PS3=$MAINPROMPT  # PS3 is the prompt for the select construct.

select option in mango tango rango exit
  do
    case $REPLY in   # REPLY is set by the select construct,
                     # and is the number of the selection.
      1) # mango
         #  Loop mango menu until user exits explicitly.
         while :
         do
           clear
           print "\nmango sub-menu title\n"
           PS3=$MANGOPROMPT
           select option1 in add substract exit
           do
             case $REPLY in
               1) # add
                  print "\nYou picked [add]"
                  break  #  Breaks out of the select, back to the mango loop.
                  ;;
               2) # subtract
                  print "\nYou picked [subtract]"
                  break  #  Breaks out of the select, back to the mango loop.
                  ;;
               3) # exit
                  break 2  # Breaks out 2 levels, the select loop plus
                           # the mango while loop, back to the main loop.
                  ;;
               *) # always allow for the unexpected
                  print "\nUnknown mango operation [${REPLY}]"
                  break
                  ;;
             esac
           done
         sleep 2
         done
         break
         ;;
      2) # tango
         ;&  # Fall through to #3
      3) #rango
         print "\nYou picked $option"
         break
         ;;
      4) # exit
         break 2  #  Break out 2 levels, out of the select and the main loop.
         ;;
      *) # Always code for the unexpected.
         print "\nUnknown option [${REPLY}]"
         break
         ;;
    esac
  done
sleep 2
done

exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

case statement in UNIX scripting (ksh)

Hi, I have a script like below : #!/bin/ksh echo "Do you want to export all docs ?" read alld echo "Do you want to export template or report only " read temr case && ] #arguments ;; case && ] #arguments ;; case && ] #arguments ;; (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To ignore user input case.

hi, i will like to know whether awk command can ignore case? i written a script that will take in user input and search for data on the 1st field from a text file. echo -n "Title:" read title awk -F":" '$1~/'"$title"'/{print $0}' Filename read ans return ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect input within case statement?

I'm trying to run the logic below but get a `<' is not matched error message when I return a Y or y; printf "Run this ? : " read RESP case $RESP in Y|y) cat <<EOF > file today is Monday EOF ;; N|n) exit 1 ;; esac Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h8mmer
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

!!VERY URGENT!! Trouble in getting user input, while using under CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore case(upper and lower) from user input?

Hi, In my script it takes the input from the user. i.e. sys or system. How can i make it case insensitive in my code. if || ; then echo "valid" Any help is appreciated. Thanks, priya (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: priya001
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case Contruct Problem user input

This is supposed to be a simple bank script. Whenever I try the case construct options it wont work for the deposit option after typing the amount it just goes straight back into the menu, same with withdrawal option. Option 3 which should just display the balance amount doesn't echo anything. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcnewton13
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

having some trouble in case statement

Hi All, I have script which will take the parameter as PNLYYYYMMDD/PNL or PNL-AMDYYYYYMMDD/PNL-AMD now based on YYYYMMDD my script will parse and do some logic within my case statement looks like below case `echo $1 | tr '' ''` in pnl*) do some logic;; pnl-amd*) do some logic;;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to read user keyboard input inside the case?

I need to Write a shell script that allows some system-administration tasks to be preformed automatically from a menu-driven interface. with automated following tasks: Copy directory tree Delete files or directories Output Information (this part is done ) *Copy directory tree The “Copy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case statement in UNIX shell script

have written the below code to check whether the string received from user is a file name or dir using case statement, but its going into default case*). #!/bin/sh #Get a string from user and check whether its a existing filename or not rm str2 rm str3 echo "enter a file \c" read fil... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohan0509
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash read input in case statement not working as expected

I'm having an issue with bash read input when using a case statement. The script halts and doesn't read the input on the first loop. if I hit enter then the scripts starts to respond as expected. Need some help here. defaultans=8hrs read -e -i $defaultans -p "${bldwht}How long would you like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies
break(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)