Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split the file based on the content Post 302595143 by arukuku on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 08:12:09 AM
Old 02-02-2012
Franklin thanks for your reply. "Enterting in to the line" and "Finshing the sentence" are the two patterns. After extracting the code I have to check the words like ERROR or Warning or Error in the paragraphs and print only those paras or sentences.

please help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

split file depending on content

Hi, I have a file which contains records of data. I need to split the file into multiple files depending upon the value of last field. How do i read the last field of each record in the file??? Regards, Chaitrali (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chaitrali
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with split the file content into multiple different file

Input file content: NA_10001 XA_10081 NG_10015 AC_1321.1 . . Desired output file: ls *.txt NA_10001.txt XA_10081.txt NG_10015.txt AC_1321.1.txt cat NA_10001.txt NA_10001 cat XA_10081.txt XA_10081 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

split file content

Hi All; I have input file like below name char(3) number number(3) inputfile namenumber xyz123abc509kai330 aca203 ald390afa000als303 I wanted to split like below:- output like this:- xyz123 abc509 kai330 aca203 ald390 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with split one file content into multiple different file

Input file: cat input_file.txt data_1 2342 data_3 242 data_1 3546 data_5 458 data_10 342 data_30 42 data_10 346 content_50 48 content_1 2343 Desired output: cat output_file1.txt data_1 2342 data_3 242 data_1 3546 data_5 458 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split file content into specific folders

Hi I have a large text file and I want to split its content into multiple flies. this large file contains several blocks of codes separated by a comment line for each block. this comment line represents a directory path So, when separate these blocks each into a separate file, This output... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: turki_00
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file in more files based on score content

Dear All, I have the following file tabulated: ID distanceTSS score 8434 571269 10 10122 393912 9 7652 6 10 4863 1451 9 8419 39 2 9363 564 21 9333 7714 22 9638 8334 9 1638 1231 11 10701 918 1000 6587 32056 111 What I would like to do is the following, create 100 new files based... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : split file and rename and save in path according to content

Hello, I'm using Windows 7 ; sed, awk and gnuwin32 are installed. I have a big text file I need to manipulate. In short, I will have to split it in thousands of short files, then rename and save in a folder which name is based upon filename. Here is a snippet of my big input.txt file (this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sellig
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a content in a file with specific interval base on the delimited values using UNIX command

Hi All, we have a requirement to split a content in a text file every 5 rows and write in a new file . conditions: if 5th line falls between center of the statement . it should look upto after ";" files are below format: 1 UPDATE TABLE TEST1 SET VALUE ='AFDASDFAS' 2 WHERE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KK230689
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split content based on keywords

I need to split the file contents with multiple rows based on patterns Sample: Input: ABC101testXYZ102UKMNO1092testing ABC999testKMNValid Output: ABC101test XYZ102U KMN1092testing ABC999test KMNValid In this ABC , XYZ and KMN are patterns Continue here./mod] Please read forum... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Split content based on keywords

I need to split the file contents with multiple rows based on patterns Sample: Input: ABC101testXYZ102UKMNO1092testing ABC999testKMNValid Output: ABC101test XYZ102U KMN1092testing ABC999test KMNValid In this ABC , XYZ and KMN are patterns (6 Replies)
6 Replies
DICTION(1)							   User commands							DICTION(1)

NAME
diction - print wordy and commonly misused phrases in sentences SYNOPSIS
diction [-b] [-d] [-f file [-n|-L language]] [file...] diction [--beginner] [--ignore-double-words] [--file file [--no-default-file|--language language]] [file...] diction -h|--help diction --version DESCRIPTION
Diction finds all sentences in a document that contain phrases from a database of frequently misused, bad or wordy diction. It further checks for double words. If no files are given, the document is read from standard input. Each found phrase is enclosed in [ ] (brack- ets). Suggestions and advice, if any and if asked for, are printed headed by a right arrow ->. A sentence is a sequence of words, that starts with a capitalised word and ends with a full stop, double colon, question mark or exclaimation mark. A single letter followed by a dot is considered an abbreviation, so it does not terminate a sentence. Various multi-letter abbreviations are recognized, they do not terminate a sentence as well, neither do fractional numbers. Diction understands cpp(1) #line lines for being able to give precise locations when printing sentences. OPTIONS
-b, --beginner Complain about mistakes typically made by beginners. -d, --ignore-double-words Ignore double words and do not complain about them. -s, --suggest Suggest better wording, if any. -f file, --file file Read the user specified database from the specified file in addition to the default database. -n, --no-default-file Do not read the default database, so only the user-specified database is used. -L language, --language language Set the phrase file language. -h, --help Print a short usage message. --version Print the version. ERRORS
On usage errors, 1 is returned. Termination caused by lack of memory is signalled by exit code 2. EXAMPLE
The following example first removes all roff constructs and headers from a document and feeds the result to diction with a German database: deroff -s file.mm | diction -L de | fmt ENVIRONMENT
LC_MESSAGES=de|en specifies the message language and is also used as default for the phrase language. The default language is en. FILES
/usr/share/diction/* databases for various languages AUTHOR
This program is GNU software, copyright 1997-2005 Michael Haardt <michael@moria.de>. The English phrase file contains contributions by Greg Lindahl <lindahl@pbm.com>, Wil Baden, Gary D. Kline, Kimberly Hanks and Beth Morris. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. HISTORY
There has been a diction command on old UNIX systems, which is now part of the AT&T DWB package. The original version was bound to roff by enforcing a call to deroff. This version is a reimplementation and must run in a pipe with deroff(1) if you want to process roff docu- ments. Similarly, you can run it in a pipe with dehtml(1) or detex(1) to process HTML or TeX documents. SEE ALSO
deroff(1), fmt(1), style(1) Cherry, L.L.; Vesterman, W.: Writing Tools--The STYLE and DICTION programs, Computer Science Technical Report 91, Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, N.J. (1981), republished as part of the 4.4BSD User's Supplementary Documents by O'Reilly. Strunk, William: The elements of style, Ithaca, N.Y.: Priv. print., 1918, http://coba.shsu.edu/help/strunk/ GNU
June 09, 2006 DICTION(1)