Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Look up between 2 files and print matching lines Post 302595081 by Klashxx on Thursday 2nd of February 2012 04:47:14 AM
Old 02-02-2012
Not perl , but give it a try:
Code:
gunzip -c file1.dat.gz|while read pat
do
   gunzip -c file2.dat.gz |grep "${pat}" 
done >file3

If you want to compress de destination file:
Code:
gunzip -c file1.dat.gz|while read pat
do
   gunzip -c file2.dat.gz |grep "${pat}" 
done |gzip -c -9  >file3.dat.gz

Last edited by Klashxx; 02-02-2012 at 05:53 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to print next 3 lines after pattern matching.

Dear Experts, I have file called file1 in which i am greping a pattern after that i want to next 3 lines when that pattern is matched. Ex:- file1 USA UK India Africa Hello Asia Europe Australia Hello Peter Robert Jo i want to next 3 lines after matching Hello... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: naree
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print file without few exactly matching lines?

Hi I have a very long file with 4 columns of numbers for example 1875 1876 12725 12723 13785 13786 4232 4230 13184 13185 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananyob
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX equivalent to GNU grep's -B and -A [print lines after or before matching lines]

Hi folks I am not allowed to install GNU grep on AIX. Here my code excerpt: grep_fatal () { /usr/sfw/bin/gegrep -B4 -A2 "FATAL|QUEUE|SIGHUP" } Howto the same on AIX based machine? from manual GNU grep ‘--after-context=num’ Print num lines of trailing context after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines matching value(s) in other file using awk

Hi, I have two comma separated files. I would like to see field 1 value of File1 exact match in field 2 of File2. If the value matches, then it should print matched lines from File2. I have achieved the results using cut, paste and egrep -f but I would like to use awk as it is efficient way and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SBC
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print matching lines in a file

Hello everyone, I have a little script below: die "Usage infile outfile reGex" if @ARGV != 3; ($regex) = @ARGV; open(F,$ARGV) or die "Can't open"; open(FOUT,"+>$ARGV") or die "Can't open"; while (<F>) { print FOUT if /$regex/.../$regex/; } No matter what I give $regex on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new bie
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines between 2 matching patterns

Hi Guys, I have file like below, I want to print all lines between test1231233 to its 10 occurrence(till line 41) test1231233 qwe qwe qweq123 test1231233 qwe qwe qweq23 test1231233 qwe qwe qweq123 test1231233 qwe qwe qweq123131 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagnikam
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print all the lines after pattern matching?

I have a file that contains... Number -------------------- 1 2 3 4 i want to print all the numbers after the hyphen ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankitknit
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 for matching line in file2 and print the difference in matching lines

Hello, I have two files file 1 and file 2 each having result of a query on certain database tables and need to compare for Col1 in file1 with Col3 in file2, compare Col2 with Col4 and output the value of Col1 from File1 which is a) not present in Col3 of File2 b) value of Col2 is different from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RasB15
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines after matching two pattern

would like to print everything after matching two patterns AAA and BBB. output : CCC ZZZ sample data : AAA BBB CCC ZZZ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print matching lines in files that meet critera

In the tab delimited files below I am trying to match $2 in file1 to $2 of file2. If a match is found the awk checks $3 of file2 and if it is greater than 40% and $4 of file2 is greater than 49, the line in file1 is printed. In the desired output line3 of file1 is not printed because $3 off file2... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
9 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -exEX3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 The -E and -X are similar to -e and -x, respectively, but treat overlapping changes (i.e., changes that would be flagged with ==== in the normal listing) differently. The overlapping lines from both files will be inserted by the edit script, bracketed by "<<<<<<" and ">>>>>>" lines. For example, suppose lines 7-8 are changed in both file1 and file2. Applying the edit script generated by the command "diff3 -E file1 file2 file3" to file1 results in the file: lines 1-6 of file1 <<<<<<< file1 lines 7-8 of file1 ======= lines 7-8 of file3 >>>>>>> file3 rest of file1 The -E option is used by RCS merge(1) to insure that overlapping changes in the merged files are preserved and brought to someone's atten- tion. FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/libexec/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. 7th Edition October 21, 1996 DIFF3(1)