Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers problem using execl to start a tftp process Post 302594900 by Corona688 on Wednesday 1st of February 2012 12:14:33 PM
Old 02-01-2012
execl does not start a new process. It completely replaces the current process. If it succeeds, your else clause won't ever run!

You are missing a /.

Code:
if (execl("/usr/bin/tftp", "tftp", "-4", ip_addr, "-c", "get", "myfile.txt", NULL) == -1)

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process

how to start a process and make it sleep for 5 mins and then kill that process (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shrao
6 Replies

2. Solaris

tftp Problem during Jumpstart

Hi, I have a V240 Solaris 10 (06.06) with a Solaris image of 08.07 (newest release). On the jumpstart server I have also installed JET for testing. Client was setup using the JET utilities. jade = jumpstart server phoebus = client (MAC: 0:3:ba:9e:6f:2d IP:192.168.58.121 ) When I now... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ironhead
0 Replies

3. Linux

tftp will not start.

I have setup nimol on a Fedora 9 machine. Nimol is installed and correctly configured and I have a client rs6000 (43p) declared in the dhcpd.conf file. all is running correctly and tftp is installed. I am monitoring /var/log/messages when I start the 43p and see the dhcp request come in and a reply... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnf
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script - How to automatically start another process when the previous process ends?

Hi all, I'm doing automation task for my team and I just started to learn unix scripting so please shed some light on how to do this: 1) I have 2 sets of datafiles - datafile A and B. These datafiles must be loaded subsequently and cannot be loaded concurrently. 2) So I loaded datafile A... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: luna_soleil
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cant start httpd process

httpd status is stopped.cant start it again by : /etc/init.d/httpd restart or /etc/init.d/httpd/start help needed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to start a process killable by all

Hi, Is there a way to start a process that any other user would have the privs to kill? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rebelbuttmunch
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Quick question]Problem with execl and GREP

Guys, I have the following code #include <fcntl.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/wait.h> #include <unistd.h> void read2(); main(int argc, char** argv) { int pid,status; pid=fork(); if ( pid == 0 ) { read2(argv,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pfpietro
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with iptables while doing tftp.

Hi all, I have a problem. I have iptables enabled in my ubuntu system on which tftp server is configured. Now when I try to do a tftpget from another ubuntu 32-bit machine, file transfer is not happening. But, when iptables are disabled, everything is fine. I heard that some ip_conntrack module... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai2krishna
0 Replies

10. Programming

Question about execl, replacing process's contents

I'm reading Operating Systems in Depth by Thomas W. Doeppner, and I have a question about execl. He says it's called after fork(), and that it replaces the text (code) of the current process and replaces it with the code of the new program. But that doesn't make sense to me. Does that mean... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SirSalt
4 Replies
EXECL(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  EXECL(3)

NAME
execl, execv, execle, execlp, execvp, exec, execve, exect, environ - execute a file SYNOPSIS
execl(name, arg0, arg1, ..., argn, 0) char *name, *arg0, *arg1, ..., *argn; execv(name, argv) char *name, *argv[]; execle(name, arg0, arg1, ..., argn, 0, envp) char *name, *arg0, *arg1, ..., *argn, *envp[]; exect(name, argv, envp) char *name, *argv[], *envp[]; extern char **environ; DESCRIPTION
These routines provide various interfaces to the execve system call. Refer to execve(2) for a description of their properties; only brief descriptions are provided here. Exec in all its forms overlays the calling process with the named file, then transfers to the entry point of the core image of the file. There can be no return from a successful exec; the calling core image is lost. The name argument is a pointer to the name of the file to be executed. The pointers arg[0], arg[1] ... address null-terminated strings. Conventionally arg[0] is the name of the file. Two interfaces are available. execl is useful when a known file with known arguments is being called; the arguments to execl are the char- acter strings constituting the file and the arguments; the first argument is conventionally the same as the file name (or its last compo- nent). A 0 argument must end the argument list. The execv version is useful when the number of arguments is unknown in advance; the arguments to execv are the name of the file to be exe- cuted and a vector of strings containing the arguments. The last argument string must be followed by a 0 pointer. The exect version is used when the executed file is to be manipulated with ptrace(2). The program is forced to single step a single instruction giving the parent an opportunity to manipulate its state. On the VAX-11 this is done by setting the trace bit in the process status longword. Exect is not available on the PDP-11. When a C program is executed, it is called as follows: main(argc, argv, envp) int argc; char **argv, **envp; where argc is the argument count and argv is an array of character pointers to the arguments themselves. As indicated, argc is convention- ally at least one and the first member of the array points to a string containing the name of the file. Argv is directly usable in another execv because argv[argc] is 0. Envp is a pointer to an array of strings that constitute the environment of the process. Each string consists of a name, an "=", and a null-terminated value. The array of pointers is terminated by a null pointer. The shell sh(1) passes an environment entry for each global shell variable defined when the program is called. See environ(7) for some conventionally used names. The C run-time start-off routine places a copy of envp in the global cell environ, which is used by execv and execl to pass the environment to any subprograms executed by the current program. Execlp and execvp are called with the same arguments as execl and execv, but duplicate the shell's actions in searching for an executable file in a list of directories. The directory list is obtained from the environment. FILES
/bin/sh shell, invoked if command file found by execlp or execvp SEE ALSO
execve(2), fork(2), environ(7), csh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If the file cannot be found, if it is not executable, if it does not start with a valid magic number (see a.out(5)), if maximum memory is exceeded, or if the arguments require too much space, a return constitutes the diagnostic; the return value is -1. Even for the super- user, at least one of the execute-permission bits must be set for a file to be executed. BUGS
If execvp is called to execute a file that turns out to be a shell command file, and if it is impossible to execute the shell, the values of argv[0] and argv[-1] will be modified before return. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution August 4, 1987 EXECL(3)