Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with a project. convert a txt to csv Post 302594533 by turk451 on Tuesday 31st of January 2012 02:06:23 PM
Old 01-31-2012
Oh ok no problem. Here are the changes incorporated:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

open (DATAFILE, $ARGV[0]) or die ("Could not open data file.");

print("Start Date, End Date, Start Time, End Time, Description, Subject, Location\n");

foreach $line (<DATAFILE>){
        $line =~ s/\s+$//;
        if (length($line) > 0) {
                if ( $line =~ /^Day:/ ) {
                      @lineArray = split("/",$line);
                      $date = $lineArray[1];
                } elsif ( $line =~ /^ ?[0-9]/ ) {
                      if ( $line =~ /(4\/1,3,)|(4\/10,)/ ) {
                           next;
                      } else {
                           print(join(',',$date,$date,substr($line,0,5),substr($line,7,5),substr($line,35,10),substr($line,46,25),substr($line,72)."\n"));
                      }
                }
        }
}

As for my recommendations, I think that Perl has more capabilities than bash shell scripting, but don't get me wrong: bash scripting is extremely powerful and useful. You should probably start with bash and if you are interested in interpreted programming languages you could learn Perl or Ruby or something. The reason why I used Perl here is the more complex line parsing you wanted to do. While it could definitely be done with a complex sed statement or something similar, ultimately the sed statement would use the same logic which can be seen in the Perl code, using the position of the data fields as the way to parse them from the line and printing them selectively in the output.

Your initial idea to replace the spaces with commas would not have worked because of the extra spaces in the fields for Subject and Location

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert PS files to txt file?

Hi, I need to convert PS files to txt file. I thought of using ps2ascii, but its not installed in my AIX box, any other option? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK CSV to TXT format, TXT file not in a correct column format

HI guys, I have created a script to read 1 column in a csv file and then place it in text file. However, when i checked out the text file, it is not in a column format... Example: CSV file contains name,age aa,11 bb,22 cc,33 After using awk to get first column TXT file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdap
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert XLS to CSV and DOC/RTF to TXT

Hi, i don't know anything about PERL. Can anyone help me providing PERL scripts for 1. converting XLS to CSV (and vice-versa) 2. converting DOC/RTF to TXT Thanks much Prvn (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Txt to csv convert

Hi, I was trying some split command to pull out values like "uid=abc,ou=INTERNAL,ou=PEOPLE" into a csv file. However because of erratic nature of occurrance of rows made me stopped. Could someone help me in this? and if someone has a one liner for this? The text file contain pattern like this... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert txt to csv

Hi - I am looking to convert the following text to csv. The columns may not always have data in them and they may have varying spaces but I still need to have a comma there anyway: Sample Data: ~~~~~~~ Name Email Location Phone Tom... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JPBovaird
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

txt file to CSV

hi.. I have a text file which looks likes this 2258 4569 1239 258 473 i need to convert it into comma seperated format eg:2258,4569,1239,258,437 pls help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: born
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to convert TXT file into CSV

Hi Team, i have some script which give output in TXT format , need script to convert TXT file into CSV. Output.TXT 413. U-UU-LVDT-NOD-6002 macro_outcome_dist-8.0.0(v1_0_2) KK:1.2.494 (1234:333:aaa:2333:3:2:333:a) 414. U-UU-LVDT-NOD-6004 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Mankar
10 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to convert TXT to PDF in RHEL 6?

Hello friends, I need to convert ASCII text to PDF on RHEL 6 so I did the below and could generate PDF but it has lot of junk/special characters. yum install enscript ghostscript enscript -p output.ps input.txt ps2pdf output.ps output.pdf So I download latest source of Ghostscript... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
4 Replies

9. Solaris

How to convert pdf file to txt?

Hello Unix gurus, I am learning unix. I have lots pdf data files. I need to convert them into txt files. Can you please guide me how to do that? Thanks in advance. Rao (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raopatwari
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert a txt file to a CSV file

Hi , I have a Txt file which consist of 1000's of SOAP request and response and i want the file to be converted to a csv file like column a should have a soap request and column b should have the soap response . can someone assist me in achieving this please ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarm8
2 Replies
mailq(1)						      General Commands Manual							  mailq(1)

NAME
mailq - prints the mail queue SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
prints a summary of the mail messages queued for future delivery. The first line printed for each message shows the internal identifier used on this host for the message, the size of the message in bytes, the date and time the message was accepted into the queue, and the envelope sender of the message. The second line shows the error message that caused this message to be retained in the queue; it will not be present if the message is being processed for the first time. The status characters are: to indicate that the job is being processed to indicate that the load is too high to process the job to indicate that the job is too new in the queue to process. The output lines that follow the second line show the message recipients, one per line. is identical to Options The supported options are: Show the mail submission queue specified in the file instead of the MTA queue specified in the file. Show the lost items in the mail queue instead of normal queue items. Show the quarantined items in the mail queue instead of the normal queue items. Limit processed jobs to those containing substr as a substring of the queue ID or not when is specified. Limit processed jobs to quarantined jobs containing substr as a substring of the quarantine reason or not when is specified. Limit processed jobs to those containing substr as a substring of one of the recipients or not when is specified. Limit processed jobs to those containing substr as a substring of the sender or not when is specified. Print verbose information. This adds the priority of the message and a single character indicator or blank) indicating whether a warning message has been sent on the first line of the message. In addition, extra lines may be intermixed with the recipients indicating the `controlling user' information. This shows who owns the programs that are executed on behalf of this message and the name of the alias this command expanded from, if any. RETURN VALUE
The utility exits with 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley, and originally appeared in 4.0BSD. FILES
mail queue files for SEE ALSO
sendmail(1M). mailq(1)