Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to extract fields from etc/passwd file? Post 302593704 by Scott on Saturday 28th of January 2012 03:12:16 AM
Old 01-28-2012
cut can cut multiple fields. I.e.

Code:
cut -d: -f1,3,5 file

Or with awk:

Code:
awk -F: '{ print $1, $3 }' file

This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to extract a field from /etc/passwd file..

Hello, was looking for some help on extracting a field from the passwd file. So far I have made a copy of the passwd file and changed my rights so I can edit it. Every user's password is coded as an :x:, and my goal was to change that x to a blank, and then try to extract any user with that field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xBuRnTx
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to extract fields for /etc/passwd

hi, i would like to extract the just name field from /etc/passwd file, and nothing else. ie grep pauline, and Pauline Fowler comes back. cheeers paul mc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mopimp
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract some common fields from 1 file that are presnt in another file

I have 2 files FILEA 720646363*PHILIPPINES 117183970*USA 116274291*USA 107940983*USA 107395824*USA 106632425*USA 105861926*USA 105208607*USA 053077046*USA 065428026*ENGLAND FILEB 001125236 001408905 002316511 002521094 020050725 035018308 052288735 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unxusr123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract fields from text file using delimiter!!

Hi All, I am new to unix scripting, please help me in solving this assignment.. I have a scenario, as follows: 1. i have a text file(read1.txt) with the following data sairam,123 kamal,122 etc.. 2. I have to write a unix... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: G.K.K
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut fields from /etc/passwd file into variables?

The script must ask the user to enter the user name and check whether the user exists in /etc/passwd (you must allow the partial usernames also). If the username exists, display the details as: List of users Login Name: User ID: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nobletechnology
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passwd -S on linux- what are the fields?

I'm looking for some documentation on what the different fields mean in the output of passwd -S username: passwd -S foo foo PS 2012-03-20 0 70 3 -1 (Password set, MD5 crypt.) I think the date given is the date of the last password change, the 0 after that is the minimum password age, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract fields from a downloaded html file

I have around 100 html files and in each html file I have 5-6 such paragraphs of a company and I need to extract the Name of the company from either the one after "title" or "/company" and then the number of employees and finally the location . <div class="search_result"> <div... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract user accounts and home directory from /etc/passwd.

I am trying to obtain all user accounts and their respective home directories. /etc/passwd contains the required information, but I want to filter it to only show the uid,username and home directory path. I am working on a Solaris 11 machine. I made a little headway so far, but I got stuck... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to extract multiple values from file and add two additional fields

In the attached file I am trying to use awk to extract multiple values and create the tab-delimited desired output. In the output R_Index is a the sequential # and Pre_Enrichment is defaulted to .. I can extract from the values to the side of the keywords, but most are above and I can not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extract fields from a CSV i.e comma separated where some of the fields having comma as value?

can anyone help me!!!! How to I parse the CSV file file name : abc.csv (csv file) The above file containing data like abv,sfs,,hju,',',jkk wff,fst,,rgr,',',rgr ere,edf,erg,',',rgr,rgr I have a requirement like i have to extract different field and assign them into different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J.Jena
4 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- select portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility selects portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file argu- ments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of increasing numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a num- ber, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the first number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, over- lapping, and in any order. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use the first character of delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, delimited in the input by a single tab character. Output fields are separated by a single tab character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut if the -n option is specified. Their effect is described in environ(7). EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 DIAGNOSTICS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BUGS
The -c option is a synonym for the -b option, which causes incorrect behaviour in locales that support multibyte characters. When operating on fields (-f option is specified), cut does not recognise multibyte characters, and the delim character is recognised in the middle of multibyte sequences. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD