Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Extracting specific info finger command Post 302593421 by lalitpct on Thursday 26th of January 2012 11:20:42 PM
Old 01-27-2012
cannot use who

sorry forgot to mention cant use who as this is not from console

---------- Post updated at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:12 PM ----------

Let me add some more details to this ,
by command A)"finger $LOGNAME" I can get all session for the user as shown below
by command B)" a=`tty | sed 's_/dev/__'` ; finger $LOGNAME | grep $a " I can get my logged in terminal ,
but dont know how to extrat the next line "from <localhost>"

A)command prompt-> finger $LOGNAME
Login name: <loginname> In real life: <name>
Site Info: <sit info>
Directory: <homedir> Shell: /bin/ksh
On since Jan 27 01:37:28 on pts/0
from <localhost>
On since Jan 27 04:02:39 on pts/1, 4 minutes 19 seconds Idle Time
from <localhost>
No Plan.

B)command prompt-> a=`tty | sed 's_/dev/__'` ; finger $LOGNAME | grep $a
On since Jan 27 01:37:28 on pts/0
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use next time code tags for your code and data

Last edited by vbe; 01-27-2012 at 01:57 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting Info

i have a file that contain lines like this 9.4.7.8.5.7.9.0.5.7.1.2.msisdn.sub.cs. 1 IN CNAME SDP01.cs. there are about 50,000 lines like this in the files i want to the extract the digits from the above line like:- 947857905712 OS Solaris9 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muneebr
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to unset 'finger' info?

Hi, Command "chfn" can be used to change finger information.. can anybody tell me how to unset i mean reset the same finger information. Thanks in advance, Chanakya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chanakya.m
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finger command

Hello all, Here is what I am trying to do. If a user exist, then send an echo "EXIST" or else "DOES NOT EXIST". (under HP-UX) Kind of: #!/usr/bin/sh USER=mylogin finger $USER if $? = 0 then echo "EXIST"" else echo "DOES NOT EXIST" fi (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in finger command.

Hi, iam using sunsolaris. when you type finger command -- it dispalys information about local and remote users. but here it shows as can't stat /dev/gold:8664 can anybody help what is the solution for this error. previously the output came. thanks, shan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shanshine
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting specific info from finger command

Hello all, my unix is bash based and the finger command output is: Login Name Tty Idle LoginTime Office amos.john Amos John pts/26 1 Dec 5 16:18 (77.100.22.07) What am trying to achieve is extract the Login (amos.john) and Name (Amos John) from this output without using awk or sed. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: franny
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting spec info from finger.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to extract the user name and full name from the finger command without using sed or awk. Any pointers? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: franny
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finger command

I want to know the correct version of how i should use the finger command in this example below.(os is debian lenny) (nymserver.pl is located in /home/nymserv directory.) the two versions are : (in/etc/inetd.conf) finger stream tcp nowait nymuser /usr/nym/nymserv nymserv... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xstation
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finger command help

Hi Does anyone know if there is anyway of doing the finger command for all user id's in my enviroment. What I need to obtain is the full names of all users on the system. I know if i do the finger command with no arguments it will list users currently logged in, but i need all users... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m3y
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Extracting HBA Card Hardware info

Hello, I am very new to solaris so please bear with me. I have 2 machines in question. For both I am trying to get the HBA Card Hardware information such as: HBA Model Name HBA Firmware version HBA Port details HBA Driver details First machine is a Solaris 10. When I execute fcinfo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagman5
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have a situation while extracting info

i have a text file which i am generating from few sqls. format is like : col1 col2 col3 col4 col5 1001 DONE ABC 17-sep-14 12:02:05 1001 DONE ABC 17-sep-14 12:02:05 1001 DONE ABC 17-sep-14 12:02:55 1001 REDONE ABC ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakiniimt
6 Replies
finger(1)						      General Commands Manual							 finger(1)

Name
       finger - print user finger information

Syntax
       finger [options] [name...]

Description
       By  default,  lists  the login name, full name, terminal name and write status, idle time, login time, and office location and phone number
       for each current ULTRIX user.  Terminal write status is noted as an asterisk (*) before the terminal name if write  permission  is  denied.
       Idle  time is given in minutes if the listing shows a single integer, hours and minutes if a colon (:) is present, or days and hours if a d
       is present.

A longer format also exists and is used by whenever a list of people's names is given.  (Account names as well as first and last  names	of
       users  are  accepted.) This format is multi-line, and includes all the information described above as well as the user's home directory and
       login shell.  Additionally, it displays the information contained in the files .plan and .project, both of which are located in the  user's
       home directory.	If no list is given, all the people currently logged in are shown.

The  command  may  be used to look up users on a remote machine.  The format is to specify the user as user@host.  If the user name is left
       off, the standard format listing is provided on the remote machine.

Options
       -b   Displays a briefer long form list of users.

-f   Disables printing of headers for short and quick outputs.

-h   Suppresses printing of the .project file.

-i   Displays list of users with idle times.

-l   Displays output in long format.

-m   Matches arguments only on user name.

-p   Suppresses printing of the .plan file.

-q   Displays list of users.

-s   Displays output in short format.

-w   Displays narrow short format of specified users.

Restrictions
       Only the first line of the .project file is printed.

The user's or file cannot be a link to another file.  If either of these files is something other than a regular file, it will be ignored.

Files
       Who file

User information

Last login times

Plans

Projects

See Also
       chfn(1), w(1), who(1), fingerd(8c)

finger(1)