Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk or grep to match # of words before and after pattern Post 302592832 by chihung on Wednesday 25th of January 2012 04:33:16 AM
Old 01-25-2012
This should handle the recursive 'strings'
Code:
find . -type f | while read f
do
   echo ====$f====
   strings $f | grep -A1 -B1 "pattern"
   echo
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use pattern match with grep

hi, i'm having problem like this. i wish to grep some keyword from certain files in one directory. let's say i have a lot of files in my directory with the name of file.1 file.2 file.3 ...... file.500 i only wish to grep the keyword from file.20, file.21, file.23 .... file.50 i tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rei
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on multiple words to match text template

hi, I have few text templates as a simple ex: template 1 city Name: zip code: state Name: template2: employee Name: Phone number: I wish to grep on given text file and make sure the text file matches one of these templates. Please give your ideas. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rider29
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match in grep

Hi, I try to grep lines with pattern like float_or_int float_or_int float_or_int where float_or_int is any float or any integer of any length. I tried some : grep "* * *" FILENAME #Work for integers but not for floats grep '\<.*\> \<.*\> \<.*\>' FILENAME #Work for float but not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK match $1 $2 pattern in file 1 to $1 $2 pattern in file2

Hi, I have 2 files that I have modified to basically match each other, however I want to determine what (if any) line in file 1 does not exist in file 2. I need to match column $1 and $2 as a single string in file1 to $1 and $2 in file2 as these two columns create a match. I'm stuck in an AWK... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to match grep pattern

Hi All, I am trying to select all files in a directory which are not with .gz extension . for which I am using below script , but its rejecting both .gz and .z extension files,as in each letter is considered separately. PFB ls -lrt | awk '{print $9}'| egrep "^IRAMS.*$" please suggest... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to match a pattern and perform a search after the first pattern

Hello Guyz I have been following this forum for a while and the solutions provided are super useful. I currently have a scenario where i need to search for a pattern and start searching by keeping the first pattern as a baseline ABC DEF LMN EFG HIJ LMN OPQ In the above text i need to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RickCharles
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match Pattern after certain pattern and Print words next to Pattern

Hi experts , im new to Unix,AWK ,and im just not able to get this right. I need to match for some patterns if it matches I need to print the next few words to it.. I have only three such conditions to match… But I need to print only those words that comes after satisfying the first condition..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep two words with exact match

HI Input : Counters Counter Int Ints Counters Counters Ints Ints I want to grep Counter|Int Output : Counter (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk usage to grep a pattern 1 and with reference to this grep a pattern 2 and pattern 3

Hi , I have a file where i have modifed certain things compared to original file . The difference of the original file and modified file is as follows. # diff mir_lex.c.modified mir_lex.c.orig 3209c3209 < if(yy_current_buffer -> yy_is_our_buffer == 0) { --- >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: breezevinay
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep everything between two pattern if match not found

I need to help to work this Print everything between 2 patterns if grep is not found the search word example Detroit orange cat bat rat apple sed -n "/Detroit,/apple/p" d |grep chicago output would be Detroit orange cat bat rat (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhonnyrip
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)