Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: parsing /etc/passwd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers parsing /etc/passwd Post 302592180 by Peasant on Monday 23rd of January 2012 06:29:09 AM
Old 01-23-2012
Here is an awk
Code:
awk -F":" '$5 != "" && $1 != "" { print $1 } ' /etc/passwd

It will print username if username and login name are not null.

Regards
Peasant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/passwd

Can anyone explain the second and third fields in /etc/passwd. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguda
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

wc /etc/passwd

I have left unix for a long time.Almost forget everthing.:( Anybody can tell me what is the meaning? wc /etc/passwd 9 16 1155 /etc/passwd and $ wc -l /etc/passwd wc -l /etc/passwd 9 /etc/passwd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl parsing compared to Ksh parsing

#! /usr/local/bin/perl -w $ip = "$ARGV"; $rw = "$ARGV"; $snmpg = "/usr/local/bin/snmpbulkget -v2c -Cn1 -Cn2 -Os -c $rw"; $snmpw = "/usr/local/bin/snmpwalk -Os -c $rw"; $syst=`$snmpg $ip system sysName sysObjectID`; sysDescr.0 = STRING: Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of file for Report Generation (String parsing and splitting)

Hey guys, I have this file generated by me... i want to create some HTML output from it. The problem is that i am really confused about how do I go about reading the file. The file is in the following format: TID1 Name1 ATime=xx AResult=yyy AExpected=yyy BTime=xx BResult=yyy... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
8 Replies

5. AIX

etc/passwd

Is there any way to allow users to access the etc/passwd file for commands like whoami but not be able to read the file? If I don't put a user in the security group and change the permissions on the etc/passwd file to 640 (rw-r-----) the users can login but the whoami command doesn't work for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
5 Replies

6. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/passwd help

Hi! i've been searching a way to display the users who are in the /etc/passwd directory...using ls or grep or cat command should do it?i can't find a way to get this right..i mean none of the preview commands function sounded good to me to use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: strawhatluffy
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK? parsing /etc/passwd file.

Hello guys, please help me to make simple script for parsing passwd file. I have many passwd files from our servers, named server1.pass, server2.pass etc.. so for server in `ls *.pass` i need to print these rows: server1;root:!:0:0::/root:/usr/bin/ksh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rubico
7 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

passwd -s

Hi, I've a problem regarding understanding of result of passwd -s command. > passwd -s abc PS 05/24/12 0 441 I'm not a super user. But i need to write a simple code for checking password expiry and send an email to the team id. Is there any other command or way to achieve this?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
6 Replies
whoami(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						whoami(1B)

NAME
whoami - display the effective current username SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/whoami DESCRIPTION
whoami displays the login name corresponding to the current effective user ID. If you have used su to temporarily adopt another user, whoami will report the login name associated with that user ID. whoami gets its information from the geteuid and getpwuid library routines (see getuid and getpwnam(3C), respectively). FILES
/etc/passwd username data base ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
su(1M), who(1), getuid(2), getpwnam(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 whoami(1B)