Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What file(s) am I?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? What file(s) am I? Post 302592090 by jlliagre on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 07:52:08 PM
Old 01-22-2012
Indeed. Hopefully, not everything is a file under Unix. What is true is that many OS objects that aren't files on other operating systems, like devices (printers, disks, partitions, network interfaces, serial lines, ...), processes, virtual and physical memory, sockets, named pipes and the likes are files present in most Unix file systems hierarchies.

However, plenty of other OS objects, like partition tables, signals, threads, queues, statistics and others have no direct file equivalent.

In any case, as far as the operating system is concerned, a user (id) is just one of the many properties a process has.
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match list of strings in File A and compare with File B, C and write to a output file in CSV format

Hi Friends, I'm a great fan of this forum... it has helped me tone my skills in shell scripting. I have a challenge here, which I'm sure you guys would help me in achieving... File A has a list of job ids and I need to compare this with the File B (*.log) and File C (extend *.log) and copy... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 text file with 1 column in each file and write mismatch data to 3rd file

Hi, I need to compare 2 text files with around 60000 rows and 1 column. I need to compare these and write the mismatch data to 3rd file. File1 - file2 = file3 wc -l file1.txt 58112 wc -l file2.txt 55260 head -5 file1.txt 101214200123 101214700300 101250030067 101214100500... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya Nochiyil
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script (sh file) logic to compare contents of one file with another file and output to file

Shell script logic Hi I have 2 input files like with file 1 content as (file1) "BRGTEST-242" a.txt "BRGTEST-240" a.txt "BRGTEST-219" e.txt File 2 contents as fle(2) "BRGTEST-244" a.txt "BRGTEST-244" b.txt "BRGTEST-231" c.txt "BRGTEST-231" d.txt "BRGTEST-221" e.txt I want to get... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
22 Replies
netid(4)							   File Formats 							  netid(4)

NAME
netid - netname database SYNOPSIS
/etc/netid DESCRIPTION
The netid file is a local source of information on mappings between netnames (see secure_rpc(3NSL)) and user ids or hostnames in the local domain. The netid file can be used in conjunction with, or instead of, the network source: NIS or NIS+. The publickey entry in the nss- witch.conf (see nsswitch.conf(4)) file determines which of these sources will be queried by the system to translate netnames to local user ids or hostnames. Each entry in the netid file is a single line of the form: netname uid:gid, gid, gid... or netname 0:hostname The first entry associates a local user id with a netname. The second entry associates a hostname with a netname. The netid file field descriptions are as follows: netname The operating system independent network name for the user or host. netname has one of two formats. The format used to specify a host is of the form: unix.hostname@domain where hostname is the name of the host and domain is the network domain name. The format used to specify a user id is of the form: unix.uid@domain where uid is the numerical id of the user and domain is the network domain name. uid The numerical id of the user (see passwd(4)). When specifying a host name, uid is always zero. group The numerical id of the group the user belongs to (see group(4)). Several groups, separated by commas, may be listed for a single uid. hostname The local hostname (see hosts(4)). Blank lines are ignored. Any part of a line to the right of a `#' symbol is treated as a comment. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample netid file. Here is a sample netid file: unix.789@West.Sun.COM 789:30,65 unix.123@Bldg_xy.Sun.COM 123:20,1521 unix.candlestick@campus1.bayarea.EDU 0:candlestick FILES
/etc/group groups file /etc/hosts hosts database /etc/netid netname database /etc/passwd password file /etc/publickey public key database SEE ALSO
netname2user(3NSL), secure_rpc(3NSL), group(4), hosts(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), publickey(4) SunOS 5.10 23 May 1994 netid(4)