Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Negating shell interpretation Post 302592076 by sprucio on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 05:50:44 PM
Old 01-22-2012
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input so far. It's been really helpful. It looks like this line is working currently:
Code:
if [[ $line == *"start"* ]]

In this following snippet, line 9 only needs one set of square brackets but lines 13 and 16 needs two set of square brackets. Any thoughts?
Code:
     8	function match {
     9	    temp=$( echo "$line" | egrep '(start|stop)' )
    11	    if [ ! -z "$temp" ]
    12	    then
    13		if [[ $( echo "$temp" | grep 'start') ]]
    14		then
    15		    start="$temp"
    16		elif  [[ $( echo "$temp" | grep 'stop') ]]
    17		then
    18		    end="$temp"
    19		fi
    20	    fi
    21	}

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell interpretation

I executed the following command in the korn shell: $ variable1="qwerty" ls | sort and the shell executed the 'ls | sort' command. I would have expected an error message from the shell, but instead of that the shell ran the 'ls | sort' command and didn't realize the variable assignement. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PhilippeCrokaer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Prevent bash from interpretation :

I am using bash shell; my requirement is to run a long command. Now I have split this long command into a number of shell variables. Some of these shell variables contain special character ':' At the end, when the intended long command is executed as a series of small shell variables the ':'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Interpretation of the uptime command

Hi there, do someone have detailed information how to interpret the uptime command or rather which values can be called normal? (i know what the information means, but i have no idea if these values are ok or to high: 3:02pm an 13:53, 2 Benutzer, Durchschnittslast: 10,06, 12,05, 13,00) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: odin1999
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SAR -b interpretation

I have used SAR -b to get some Unix cache / buffer metrics and the results are confusing me a bit. The pread/s & pwrit/s are showing 0. However the lread/s and lwrit/s are showing figures. I note also that the bread/s and bwrit/s are showing figures. I believe that pread/s and pwrit/s is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

5. AIX

interpretation of sar

hello with a sar i have this result: System configuration: lcpu=48 ent=4.00 14:06:37 %usr %sys %wio %idle physc %entc 14:06:39 26 9 3 62 1.63 40.7 14:06:41 26 9 3 63 1.58 39.4 14:06:43 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl negating Regular Expression

hi all, I have this particular piece of code perl -pi -e 's#\&amp\;(\w\W*\w+\;)#\&$1#gm' filename.txt the (\w\W*\w+\;) part should not contain an "&". That means that if a string like &xxxxx&ecute; comes i wount be replacing the amp;. thanks Jathin (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jathin12
17 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

No Space Message Interpretation

Hi, I get the message NOTICE HTFS :No Space on dev hd (1/104), What does (1/104) mean? Is there any link, I can get material on understanding unix message log? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scomrade
4 Replies

8. AIX

lspath output interpretation

On my VIo I see the following for my disks: $ lspath | grep hdisk6 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi0 200600a0b82193f7,4000000000000 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi0 200700a0b82193f7,4000000000000 Enabled hdisk6 fscsi2 200600a0b82193f8,4000000000000 Failed hdisk6 fscsi2 200700a0b82193f8,4000000000000 $ lspath |... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sql multi line comment /* shell interpretation issue

Greetings Experts, I do have some basic knowledge of Unix. The task I am trying to do through shell script is to generate the view script for all of the tables which is in YYYYMMDD format (I assume I am on Ksh). I have certain tables that ends in YYYYMMDD format (eg: tbl_20150630) For each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
1 Replies
MKTEMP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 MKTEMP(1)

NAME
mktemp -- make temporary file name (unique) SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] template DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility takes the given file name template and overwrites a portion of it to create a file name. This file name is unique and suitable for use by the application. The template may be any file name with at least 6 of 'Xs' appended to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXXXX. The trailing 'Xs' are replaced with the current process number and/or a unique letter combination. The number of unique file names mktemp can return depends on the number of 'Xs' provided; six 'Xs' will result in mktemp testing roughly 26 ** 6 combinations. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is created with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -u Operate in ``unsafe'' mode. The temp file will be unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3) but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is not encouraged. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp utility exits with a value of 0 on success, and 1 on failure. EXAMPLES
The following sh(1) fragment illustrates a simple use of mktemp where the script should quit if it cannot get a safe temporary file. TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/$0.XXXXXX` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE In this case, we want the script to catch the error itself. TMPFILE=`mktemp -q /tmp/$0.XXXXXX` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "$0: Can't create temp file, exiting..." exit 1 fi Note that one can also check to see that $TMPFILE is zero length instead of checking $?. This would allow the check to be done later one in the script (since $? would get clobbered by the next shell command). SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3), mktemp(3) HISTORY
The mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD. BSD
November, 20, 1996 BSD