Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep hogs entire cpu
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications grep hogs entire cpu Post 302592075 by methyl on Sunday 22nd of January 2012 05:42:34 PM
Old 01-22-2012
@COKEDUDE
It's time to read up and learn how to search only inodes on the current filesystem which are ascii text files.
When you come up with your original script, please post it on this forum for the benefit of others.

Quote:
I have several computers at work and school I can use.
Don't forget to post in the Homework Forum if your post is nothing to do with your daytime work.

Last edited by methyl; 01-22-2012 at 06:49 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep Vs CPU usage

Hi, I have one basic doubt, that using grep command frequently , will it have direct impact on the CPU load, pls clarify for eg, if i run a non stop script containing while loop to grep some parameters, what will be the load in CPU.. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep entire statement not just line

(extract from SQL binlog file...) # at 4960 #080801 14:35:31 server id 4 end_log_pos 195 Query thread_id=63121426 exec_time=0 error_code=0 use d_jds; SET TIMESTAMP=1217581531; UPDATE bid_details set bidding = 3170.37 ,deduction=if((3170.37 < 37.43),0,deduction) where... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
3 Replies

3. Linux

grep -f CPU performances

Hi I would like to thank you all for this excellent forum. Today i tried to compare two files and i get some problem with it. I have two files and i want to get all the data that match the first file like this File1 (pattern file) ___________________________ 9007 9126 9918 9127 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafil
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk+Grep Input file needs to match a column and print the entire line

I'm having problems since few days ago, and i'm not able to make it works with a simple awk+grep script (or other way to do this). For example, i have a input file1.txt: cat inputfile1.txt 218299910417 1172051195 1172070231 1172073514 1183135117 1183135118 1183135119 1281440202 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poliver
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question: stop search from finding entire line

Sorry for the title, I really don't know how to word this question or what to even search for. I tried "grep one match", "grep 1 match", "stop grep" on both google and here and haven't found something that helps, so here I go: I have a file that's about 1.5 million lines long, every line looks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmoakler
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for a pattern and print entire record

Hi friends, This is my very first post on forum, so kindly excuse if my doubts are found too silly. I am trying to automate a piece of routine work and this is where I am stuck at the moment-I need to grep a particular ID through a file containing many records(which start with <LRECORD> and end... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: faiz1985
6 Replies

7. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep to find entire line ....

As per my understanding below mentioned line of code finding a word 'boy' in $ACULOG... num_errors=`grep -i -e fail -e illegal -e exception -e "<E" -e boy $ACULOG | wc -l` if I'm not corerct, please correct me. How I can find entire line like "This is a boy" with something similar as above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heyitsmeok
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep for entire line from a log folder

As per my understanding below mentioned line of code finding a word 'boy' in $ACULOG... num_errors=`grep -i -e fail -e illegal -e exception -e "<E" -e boy $ACULOG | wc -l` if I'm not corerct, please correct me. How I can find entire line like "This is a boy" with something similar as above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heyitsmeok
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditional grep command to search entire file

Let me give you a complete example what I am trying to achieve. 1. Below is the log file structure where I need 2,5 and 14th column of the logs after grepping through the linkId=1ddoic. Log file structure:- abc.com 20120829001415 127.0.0.1 app none11111 sas 0 0 N clk Mozilla/5.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmajumder
3 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)