Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove tab character from file Post 302591893 by Scott on Saturday 21st of January 2012 11:23:06 AM
Old 01-21-2012
What OS are you using? Is CSH the login shell?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete parts of a string of character in one given column of a tab delimited file

I would like to remove characters from column 7 so that from an input file looking like this: >HWI-EAS422_12:4:1:69:89 GGTTTAAATATTGCACAAAAGGTATAGAGCGT U0 1 0 0 ref_chr8.fa 6527777 F DD I get something like that in an output file: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matlavmac
13 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove first 2 character from file name

Hi All Please help me to remove the first 2 character from the file name. files are like this $ ls 12aman file 13atul si 56rana se I want to remove the first 2 char which are numbers. I want the o/p like thus aman file atul si rana se (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: atul9806
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space and new line from a file using sed?

i am using the default sed package that comes with solaris. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the ^@ character in a file.

I receive a file which is Dos format. When I view the file using vi, I was able to find ^M, ^@ characters in beteen records. I wanted to remove these control/special characters. I used the dos2unix command. This removed the ^M characters. But I am unable to remove the ^@ character. I tried even the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove ^L character from a file

Hello, I need to remove ^L character from a file as below: HELLO "I " HELLO "I " ^L HELLO "I" HELLO "I " HELLO "I " Please suggest. Thanks !! Please use next time code tags for your code and data (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skhichi
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the last character (,) for every line in a file

Good afternoon: im working wih 2 files to find differences and use the cmp command cmp file1 file2 file1 file2 are are diifferent char 302 line1 i found what the difference is with the sed command and that is the file1 at the end of every line has a (,) (comma) character. i.e sed -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove alphabets/special characters/space in the 5th field of a tab delimited file?

Thank you for 4 looking this post. We have a tab delimited file where we are facing problem in a lot of funny character. I have tried using awk but failed that is not working. In the 5th field ID which is supposed to be a integer only of that file, we are getting corrupted data as below. I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srithar
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank columns from a tab delimited text file

Hello, I have some tab delimited files that may contain blank columns. I would like to delete the blank columns if they exist. There is no clear pattern for when a blank occurs. I was thinking of using sed to replace instances of double tab with blank, sed 's/\t\t//g' All of the examples... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove newline character if it is the only character in the entire file.?

I have a file which comes every day and the file data look's as below. Vi abc.txt a|b|c|d\n a|g|h|j\n Some times we receive the file with only a new line character in the file like vi abc.txt \n (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rak Kundra
8 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)