Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is the meaning of this awk expression using sub? Post 302591494 by kristinu on Thursday 19th of January 2012 04:12:50 PM
Old 01-19-2012
What would be the difference between these two expressions? They seem to do the same.

Code:
{sub(/^/, s "&")}

Code:
{sub(/^/, "&" s)}

---------- Post updated at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
It does a search/replace in the current line( $0 ), stopping after the first replace.

The regular expression /^/ is what's being searched for. ^ has a special meaning in expressions, "the beginning of the line".

It replaces it with the literal string "&" S. So what it actually puts in there depends on what value S holds.

So if S was "asdf", this command would add "&asdf" to the beginning of the line.

It seems that & prints the entire text when used in a replacement string.

---------- Post updated at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:11 PM ----------

I have done like this and the results are shown. Not exactly what you are saying.
Code:
echo "Hello" | awk '{s="test";sub ( /^/, "&" s );print}'
testHello

echo "Hello" | awk '{s="test";sub ( /^/, "&" s );print}'
testHello

Also, the one below gives also same result

Code:
echo "Hello" | awk '{s="test";sub ( /^/, s );print}'
testHello

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and regular expression

Ive got a file with words and also numbers. Bla BLA 10 10 11 29 12 89 13 35 And i need to change "10,29,89,25" and also remove anything that contains actually words... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maskot
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expression and awk

I can print a line with an expression using this: awk '/regex/' I can print the line immediately before an expression using this: awk '/regex/{print x};{x=$0}' How do I print the line immediately before and then the line with the expression? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickg
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for more than one expression using AWK

I have a txt file like below: testin.txt AB BC CD DE I have the following awk script BEGIN {flag1="N"} /(AB)|(BC)|(CD)|(DE)/ {flag1="Y"} END {print flag1} >awk -f testin.awk testin.txt Returns Y (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: visakhcr
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression in AWK

Hello world, I was wondering if there is a nicer way to write the following code (in AWK): awk ' FNR==NR&&$1~/^m$/{tok1=1} FNR==NR&&$1~/^m10$/{tok1=1} ' my_file In fact, it looks for m2, m4, m6, m8 and m10 and then return a positive flag. The problem is how to define 10 thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolecanard
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk inside Awk expression

Hi, It can be used awk inside other Awk?. I need to get another text processing while other text process. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pepeli30
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the meaning of this regular expression?

I am an amateur in bash scripting and RE. Could someone please tel me in precise English, what is the meaning of the following: regex='^(||1|2|25)(\.(||1|2|25)){3}$' Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashily
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print expression

Hi All, I have a doubt in awk print exp. Where in some awk commands have seen a digit 1 appended at the end of the awk ,didnt remember the command . like .. cat file |awk '{print }1' Could some one help in understanding these cases where we use them. Regards, Ganesh, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmkganesh
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Meaning of awk script

what does this mean? awk '!a||a>$1 {a=$1} END {for (i in a) print a,i}' file (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: osama ahmed
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate Expression within awk

I want to create a conditional expression string and pass in an awk script. My script is as below... comm="\$3 == "hello"" awk -F "^T" -v command="${comm}" ' { if ( command ) { print "hye" } }' testBut the statement "if ( command )" always evaluates to true which is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saikat123
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to evaluate expression under awk?

I have to display only those subscribers which are in "unconnected state" and the date is 90 days older than today's date. Below command is used for this purpose: cat vfsubscriber_20170817.csv | sed -e 's/^"//' -e '1d' | \ nawk -F '",' '{if ( (substr($11,2,4) == 2017) && ( substr($11,2,8)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dia
1 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)