Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting writing a simple script to get total number of cpus/cores in server Post 302591493 by steven12 on Thursday 19th of January 2012 04:04:33 PM
Old 01-19-2012
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

yeah, I know that different unix flavors requires different commands but I want to start with linux.

what I am trying to do is display number of cpu and cores for each cpu and multiplying both to get total number of cores in the server.

when i change it to echo $num_cpus then where should i use the read command.

thanks,
steve.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help writing simple script

I'm trying to write a simple unix script that will delete files after 30 days of being created. I've never done this before but conceptually it sounds easy. Here is what I'm trying to do: Get System Date Get File Date If (sysdate-filedate>30days) rm file All of these files are contained... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamdoankc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! writing simple shell script

how would i write a shell script to show the number of lines in which int variable appears in a c++ program. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadleg
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to Use CPUs on a HPUX server to simulate Workload Manager on HPUX.

I am running HPUX and using WLM (workload manager). I want to write a script to fork CPUs to basically take CPUs from other servers to show that the communication is working and CPU licensing is working. Basically, I want to build a script that will use up CPU on a server. Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with writing simple bash script

I want to write a bash script to: 1. Send an email from localhost to an external gmail account. (gmail then automatically forwards the message back to a pop account on the same server. 2. Script waits 3 minutes then checks to see if the email arrived, and if not, it sends an email to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallyanne
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem writing a simple c shell script

#!/bin/csh echo hello world this is what i got in a text file called ss1. i type "chmod 755 ss1.txt" to make it executable. then when i type ss1 or ss1.txt it says "ss1 command not found" what am i doing wrong? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total number of users logged in a server from uptime

how to find out total number of users logged in a server from uptime . i mean to say i need the total output of unix command . who gives the out put at a particular time . I need at all time from which machine who has connected , (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amiya.te@gmail
3 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Looking to reduce the number a cpus available for SGE

Hey all Im looking to reduce the number of cpus available on a certain node in our cluster available for jobs using SGE. i.e. we have one node that has 24 cpus available for jobs on SGE, i would like to reduce that to 16. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olifu02
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Control Cores/CPUs used in Linux instance on VMware

We have a production setup where we have RHEL instances on VMware. We have 2 RHEL instances on VMware now each having 4 CPUs/cores each. I want to put up another RHEL instance but my query is that can we allocate only 1 CPU/core for the new instance. I hope, my query is clear that can we... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to calculate total number of cores on my servers ?

Hi, I want to get total number of cores on my all non-global zones on Solaris 10. I got two methods and both are giving different results. Below link is a script, which tells me that total cores are 8 Mandalika's scratchpad: Oracle Solaris: Show Me the CPU, vCPU, Core Counts and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron323232
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Calculating number of CPUs in Solaris-8

Hello, I have few old V210/V240, running Solaris-8. I am trying to find, number of physical CPUs, number of cores and number of virtual processors. psrinfo is giving me confusing status. It looks like, there are 2 physical CPUs, but psrinfo -p shows me just 1 bash-2.03$ psrinfo -v Status of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron323232
4 Replies
CPUPOWER-FREQUENCY-INFO(1)					  cpupower Manual					CPUPOWER-FREQUENCY-INFO(1)

NAME
cpupower frequency-info - Utility to retrieve cpufreq kernel information SYNTAX
cpupower [ -c cpulist ] frequency-info [options] DESCRIPTION
A small tool which prints out cpufreq information helpful to developers and interested users. OPTIONS
-e --debug Prints out debug information. -f --freq Get frequency the CPU currently runs at, according to the cpufreq core. -w --hwfreq Get frequency the CPU currently runs at, by reading it from hardware (only available to root). -l --hwlimits Determine the minimum and maximum CPU frequency allowed. -d --driver Determines the used cpufreq kernel driver. -p --policy Gets the currently used cpufreq policy. -g --governors Determines available cpufreq governors. -a --related-cpus Determines which CPUs run at the same hardware frequency. -a --affected-cpus Determines which CPUs need to have their frequency coordinated by software. -s --stats Shows cpufreq statistics if available. -y --latency Determines the maximum latency on CPU frequency changes. -o --proc Prints out information like provided by the /proc/cpufreq interface in 2.4. and early 2.6. kernels. -m --human human-readable output for the -f, -w, -s and -y parameters. REMARKS By default only values of core zero are displayed. How to display settings of other cores is described in the cpupower(1) manpage in the --cpu option section. You can't specify more than one of the output specific options -o -e -a -g -p -d -l -w -f -y. You also can't specify the -o option combined with the -c option. FILES
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/ /proc/cpufreq (deprecated) /proc/sys/cpu/ (deprecated) AUTHORS
Dominik Brodowski <linux@brodo.de> - author Mattia Dongili<malattia@gmail.com> - first autolibtoolization SEE ALSO
cpupower-frequency-set(1), cpupower(1) 0.1 CPUPOWER-FREQUENCY-INFO(1)