Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Loading a tar file into the shell script Post 302590997 by aigles on Wednesday 18th of January 2012 07:52:18 AM
Old 01-18-2012
Why do you want to use an intermediate variable ?
Simply do :
Code:
cp sample.tar.gz New_Sample.tar.gz

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using tar inside a shell script

Hi, I am using tar cvf inside a shell script to archive files. Is there an option to surpress any prompts which come up if the desired archive name already exists ? Thanks in Advance. Kas. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kas7225
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Data loading in Oracle

Hi All I am new to unix. I need a shell script to load a datafile in to oracle. I already have a control file, and data file. all I need is if i execute the shell it must load the data using the ctl file to table. Control file : PAY0001.ctl Datafile : mon_grs_det.dat log file :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghuraja_r
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

hi.. how to attach a tar file using shell script

Hi, How to attach a tar file using shell script or the command liine.. I following command just send the mail to the person with .txt file as body, I want to send it as attachment. /usr/sbin/sendmail -f "user1@daemon.com" user2@daemon.com <hi.txt The contents of the hi.txt will be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhumathikv
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to selectively tar directory based on date

hye everybody :) , i'm new to the scripting world.. hope you guys can help me out with this one.. i'm trying to identify any directory under /tmp/saya that is created more than one day from the current date.. e.g, today is March 14, so any directory that has time stamp March 13 backwards, i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fara_aris
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function loading in a shell scripting like class loading in java

Like class loader in java, can we make a function loader in shell script, for this can someone throw some light on how internally bash runs a shell script , what happenes in runtime ... thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpsc_sela
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script for loading a data from a file into database

Hi All, I am trying to load a data from a files in a particular directory to a database.. cd $SCC isql metdb >> ${LOGDATA}/LOAD.LOG < ! load from "${LDATA}/${FORM}.ld" insert into $LOADTABLE ! But it's showing the error "syntax error at line 46 : `<<' unmatched" Can u plz help me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajesh_955
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

background image not loading in newly thrown html page by shell script

I m trying to throw back html page when a file is found.While throwing back html page, the background image is not coming. I am using Apache server.Please suggest how to resolve... #!/bin/ksh echo -e "Content-type: text/html\n\n" echo "<html><head></head><body background=\"/asc/ppp.jpg\">"... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi18s
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a tar command with the --exclude option in a Debian shell script.

Hi All, I am trying to execute the following tar command with two --exclude options to suppress extract of the two directories specified. Do I need to single quote the directory paths ?? Many thanks for your help. The relevant code excerpt from the script is: cd /var/www/${SITE} ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveu7
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make Shell script of using tar command?

Hi Guys, I have to make shell script means tar all files from path /home/admin and move to path /dis/wis/ Please help me. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
5 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-akq] [-t time] [file [command ...]] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. If the argument command is given, script will run the specified command with an optional argument vector instead of an interactive shell. The following options are available: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -k Log keys sent to program as well as output. -q Run in quiet mode, omit the start and stop status messages. -t time Specify time interval between flushing script output file. A value of 0 causes script to flush for every character I/O event. The default interval is 30 seconds. The script ends when the forked shell (or command) exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-D (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. The script utility works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen. The results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal, not an addressable one. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The script utility places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. It is not possible to specify a command without also naming the script file because of argument parsing compatibility issues. When running in -k mode, echo cancelling is far from ideal. The slave terminal mode is checked for ECHO mode to check when to avoid manual echo logging. This does not work when in a raw mode where the program being run is doing manual echo. BSD
January 22, 2004 BSD