Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting capturing the value in file before string(*) using sed Post 302590938 by jayan_jay on Wednesday 18th of January 2012 04:54:47 AM
Old 01-18-2012
In nawk ..
Code:
$ nawk '/\*/{print $(NF-1)}' infile
0F4
0FA

This User Gave Thanks to jayan_jay For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing string between a xml tag

Hi All, I have an XML-: <ProcId>CES_P5010_AddVLan</ProcId> <DataVersion>yxcxycyxcycyxc</DataVersion> <JobId>OR3000055-002-1</JobId> </CesHeader> <VLanServiceList> <NopId>blu</NopId> </VLanServiceList> <StatusNPA>2</StatusNPA> ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit_iti
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to replace the a string in the same file using sed?

How do i replace a string using sed into the same file without creating a intermediate file? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the string and the string below it

Hi, I want to read the following input and want to produce an output as given below. Input: CAR DESIGN COLOUR SERVICE MERZ APPLE RED 2 YEARS ORANGE GRAPE ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bha148
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing the value in file before string(*) and the similar value in next line only

I've the output in the file like below. I want to capture the value in file before string(*) and the similar value in next line only. cat test1.txt 0003 Not Visible (M) 0 00 03F 0005 Not Visible (M) 0 00 040 - AVAILABLE 0 00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sai_1712
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED capturing information from a variable

Hi I can't get this line to work. I need to capture what is between Home and plugin_out, where the .* is located. RUN=`echo '${TSP_FILEPATH_PLUGIN_DIR}' | sed -e 's^/results/analysis/output/Home/\(.*\)/plugin_out/g'`; echo ${RUN}; I'm getting the error sed: -e expression #1, char 51:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdilts
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
TAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [ +-number[lbc][rf] ] [ file ] tail [ -fr ] [ -n nlines ] [ -c nbytes ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Tail copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is copied. Copying begins at position +number measured from the beginning, or -number from the end of the input. Number is counted in lines, 1K blocks or bytes, according to the appended flag or Default is -10l (ten ell). The further flag causes tail to print lines from the end of the file in reverse order; (follow) causes tail, after printing to the end, to keep watch and print further data as it appears. The second syntax is that promulgated by POSIX, where the numbers rather than the options are signed. EXAMPLES
tail file Print the last 10 lines of a file. tail +0f file Print a file, and continue to watch data accumulate as it grows. sed 10q file Print the first 10 lines of a file. SOURCE
/src/cmd/tail.c BUGS
Tails relative to the end of the file are treasured up in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. According to custom, option +number counts lines from 1, and counts blocks and bytes from 0. Tail is ignorant of UTF. TAIL(1)