Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: $PWD vs `pwd`
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers $PWD vs `pwd` Post 302590737 by methyl on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 09:31:08 AM
Old 01-17-2012
Your answers do not tie up with my test results.
You are usually not using a unix system. Why not try it on your system and see what happens.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on PWD

Hi, We all know that pwd (or echo $PWD) gives us the present working dir as output.... but my doubt is that I'ld like to know how to get the present working folder - I mean - name of the current folder alone.. using pwd command I get the full folder name (right from root path)... I need to know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanprabu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pwd

Home directory mounted on one local system as /home/username, same directory mounted on a remote system as /home/engr/username. How to use command to use remote host pwd. For example rsh <remote host> ls -l ~pwd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bugsandbunny
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

echo ${PWD#${PWD%/*/*}/}

Can anyone explain this in detail ... echo ${PWD#${PWD%/*/*}/} Thanks in Advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sakthi.abdullah
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

console '# ' with {PWD} ??

Hi people... i recently installed AIX 5.3 on a server... but now when i login with root it only shows '# ' without the location where i am... for example: if im in /usr/local it continues to show only '# ' and i want to see the path like 'root@server:/usr/local#' someone can help me? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfca
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to connect to /etc/pwd

i've been searching the way to connect to pwd.db file located in /etc/ directory.. since i'm not the root and only one of the users of the server, i need to connect to the database so that i can make a login page for all users of the server.. the file is readable by all users and the permission... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meggae
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PWD COMMAND

Hi, Can you tell me if there is a command such as pwd which does not give me the absolute NFS pathname i.e. it starts with .autofs? At the moment on the unix when I use the 'pwd' command it always gives me the nfs pathname rather thanthe local pathname of which is what i want, is there an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

7. AIX

sync samba pwd with aix5.3 pwd

currently, my samba login works just fine. i want my clients to use aix5.3 account to login to samba so they don't have to change samba pwd and aix pwd. i googled, and vi /usr/lib/smb.conf per some of knowledge base, but i could not get to work. aix5.3 and samba 3.0.24.0 thanks in advace..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pwd help

Dear users, One more question, In unix when i use pwd the following I get: pwd /Users/username/src/directory name Is there a way to get the out put like this in which the if there is a space in the directory eg directory name it should show as directory\ name:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevincobain2000
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with 'pwd' command

Dear all, I am trying to use 'pwd' command in following way. current_directory == /dirA/dirB/test/dirC if ; then do this fi I am not sure how to pass this in command way. Please help! thanking you, emily (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

$pwd

Hi all,when I cd to an environment variable "cd $MYDIR, if I type pwd, I don't the path to the environment variable dir I cd to. Appreciate the help, regards..Abbya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abbya
5 Replies
NDBM_File(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					    NDBM_File(3pm)

NAME
NDBM_File - Tied access to ndbm files SYNOPSIS
use Fcntl; # For O_RDWR, O_CREAT, etc. use NDBM_File; tie(%h, 'NDBM_File', 'filename', O_RDWR|O_CREAT, 0666) or die "Couldn't tie NDBM file 'filename': $!; aborting"; # Now read and change the hash $h{newkey} = newvalue; print $h{oldkey}; ... untie %h; DESCRIPTION
"NDBM_File" establishes a connection between a Perl hash variable and a file in NDBM_File format;. You can manipulate the data in the file just as if it were in a Perl hash, but when your program exits, the data will remain in the file, to be used the next time your program runs. Use "NDBM_File" with the Perl built-in "tie" function to establish the connection between the variable and the file. The arguments to "tie" should be: 1. The hash variable you want to tie. 2. The string "NDBM_File". (Ths tells Perl to use the "NDBM_File" package to perform the functions of the hash.) 3. The name of the file you want to tie to the hash. 4. Flags. Use one of: "O_RDONLY" Read-only access to the data in the file. "O_WRONLY" Write-only access to the data in the file. "O_RDWR" Both read and write access. If you want to create the file if it does not exist, add "O_CREAT" to any of these, as in the example. If you omit "O_CREAT" and the file does not already exist, the "tie" call will fail. 5. The default permissions to use if a new file is created. The actual permissions will be modified by the user's umask, so you should probably use 0666 here. (See "umask" in perlfunc.) DIAGNOSTICS
On failure, the "tie" call returns an undefined value and probably sets $! to contain the reason the file could not be tied. "ndbm store returned -1, errno 22, key "..." at ..." This warning is emitted when you try to store a key or a value that is too long. It means that the change was not recorded in the database. See BUGS AND WARNINGS below. BUGS AND WARNINGS
There are a number of limits on the size of the data that you can store in the NDBM file. The most important is that the length of a key, plus the length of its associated value, may not exceed 1008 bytes. See "tie" in perlfunc, perldbmfilter, Fcntl perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 NDBM_File(3pm)