Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Need help either with awk or sed to get text between words Post 302590708 by konerusuneel on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 07:59:06 AM
Old 01-17-2012
absolutely what I wanted......

kudos to you Scott....... this is absolutely what I wanted....... Smilie
First block of lines 1, 2 & 3 was required to be omitted.........

thank you very very much.......
You saved my day.........

- Suneel

---------- Post updated at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:24 PM ----------

Can this be modified to use with any combination of upper or lower case letters given in the input file and return the output ............?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

text processing ( sed/awk)

hi.. I have a file having record on in 1 line.... I want every 400 characters in a new line... means in 1st line 1-400 in 2nd line - 401-800 etc pl help. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: clx
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

text transformation with sed or awk

Hi there, I'm trying to extract automatically opening hours from a website. The page displaying the schedules is http://www.natureetdecouvertes.com/pages/gener/view_FO_STORE_corgen.asp?mag_cod=xxx with xxx going from 101 to 174 I managed to get the following output : le lundi de 10.30 à... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping lines beginning with certain words using sed/awk

I have a large file which reads like this: fixed-address 192.168.6.6 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b1; host X; } fixed-address 192.168.6.7 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b3; host Y; } fixed-address 192.168.6.8 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b4; host A; }... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk: Delete matching words leaving only the first instance

I have an input text that looks like this (comes already sorted): on Caturday 22 at 10:15, some event on Caturday 22 at 10:15, some other event on Caturday 22 at 21:30, even more events on Funday 23 at 11:00, yet another event I need to delete all the matching words between the lines, from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GrinningArmor
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - delete words between two possible words

Hi all, I want to make an script using sed that removes everything between 'begin' (including the line that has it) and 'end1' or 'end2', not removing this line. Let me paste an 2 examples: anything before any string begin few lines of content end1 anything after anything before any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meuser
4 Replies

6. Debian

Using awk and sed to replace text

Good Day Every one I have a problem finding and replacing text in some large files that will take a long time to manually edit. Example text file looks like this #Example Large Text File unix linux dos squid bind dance bike car plane What im trying to do is to edit all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxjunkie
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text replacement with awk or sed?

Hi guys, I worked for almost a half-day for the replacement of some text automatically with script. But no success. The problem is I have hundred of files, which need to be replaced with some new text. It's a painful work to work manually and it's so easy to do it wrong. For example, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Find and Replace Text Between Two Strings or Words

I am looking for a sed in which I can recognize all of the text in between two indicators and then replace it with a place holder. For instance, the 1st indicator is a list of words "no|noone|havent" and the 2nd indicator is a list of punctuation ".|,|!".From a sentence such as "noone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, sed, shell all words in INPUT.txt find in column1 of TABLE.txt and replce with column2 in

Hi dears i have text file like this: INPUT.txt 001_1_173 j nuh ]az 001_1_174 j ]esma. nuh ]/.xori . . . and have another text like this TABLE.txt j j nuh word1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format the text using sed or awk

I was able to figure out how to format a text. Raw Data: $ cat test Thu Aug 23 15:43:28 UTC 2018, hostname01, 232.02, 3, 0.00 Thu Aug 23 15:43:35 UTC 2018, hostname02, 231.09, 4, 0.31 Thu Aug 23 15:43:37 UTC 2018, hostname03, 241.67, 4, 0.43 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)