Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Safely parsing parameters
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Safely parsing parameters Post 302590155 by methyl on Saturday 14th of January 2012 11:18:34 AM
Old 01-14-2012
Quote:
I have a string like

Code:
root=/dev/sda3 noacpi foo "Baz mumble"
Sorry to be a pedant, or just plain thick! My question in post #10 still applies, but I'll rephrase it.
How did we arrive at the situation in post #1. i.e. What code, parameters or whatever produced or defined "root". I can achieve the assignment with backslashes but I just wondered whether is a free-standing command, a line from an parameter file or just (as I now suspect) a visual representation of what is in the environment variable without any syntax intended.

I have had a similar problem when writing a script to search thousands of alien scripts written to no particular standard. It was important that the search process never executed arbitary code.

Last edited by methyl; 01-14-2012 at 12:24 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Parameters

How do you pass parameters over to another script and run the receiving script? . Here is an example of what I am talking about. for x in `cat Allx` do su myaccount -c "/temp/scripts/temp_script $x" > /dev/null 2>$1 $ done I was expecting the tem_script to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with parsing parameters

Hi:- I need to parse a script 3 parameters (file, subject and email address). This is what I currently have: allargs=$* argcount=`echo $allargs | awk -F: '{ print NF }' ` # Total Number of arguments pdffile=`echo $allargs | awk -F: '{ print $1 }' ` # PDF/binary file to be encoded... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: janet
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can I safely kill vdump?

Sceduled backups with vdump have been delayed as a mounted system had crashed while I was away for 2 weeks. Now there are 5 simultaneous vdumps running very slowly. The full system backup usually takes a whole weekend. Can I safely kill these? (I will have to live without a backup untill next... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickt
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help parsing job script input parameters

I have a job script that runs with input parms from the command line. job.sh -p parm1_parm2_parm3_parm4_file_1.dat The parms are separated by _ The last parm is a file name and can have an _ in the name. I currently use the following commands to extract the parms parm1=`eval echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to safely rm/mv files/directory

Hi all, Am writing a script that does a rm/mv if a file exist, however, in one scenario, one of the variables which is supposed to a variable for a directory is undefined/blank so instead of the variable resolving to /tmp/logfile.dmp, it resolves instead to / so the rm translates to a rm /... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

6. Programming

Value changed when parsing parameters

I get a strange problem here, and ask for help. (gdb) 28 set_file_bit( file, bytePos, bitPos, argv ); (gdb) p argv $3 = 0xbfffef5c "00" (gdb) s set_file_bit (file=0x804b008, bytePos=2, bitPos=2, binary=0x80490e5 "11") at util/file.c:112 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to remove soft link safely

Greetings, I need some help performing a system admin function that I have been tasked with. The request seems simple enough, but my feeling is that it might be more complicated than it seems. Here is what i've been tasked with: SunOS 5.10 Generic_142900-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
3 Replies

8. Solaris

need to safely reboot to cdrom

I am using: reboot -- cdrom However I'm afraid of causing file system errors/corruption. I've seen many threads say that init 6 is safer, but I need to get to CDROM. Is there a command that is as safe as init, but can boot to cdrom, or should I not worry so much about the reboot... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lcoreyl
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Can all files under /tmp be safely removed

I wanted to know whether all files under /tmp can be safely removed. I guess that /tmp may also have temporary files for applications currently being worked on, so at the most those applications may just shut down. I hope that my question is clear whether all files under /tmp can be safely... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
5 Replies
PMNSMERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual						      PMNSMERGE(1)

NAME
pmnsmerge - merge multiple versions of a Performance Co-Pilot PMNS SYNOPSIS
$PCP_BINADM_DIR/pmnsmerge [-adfv] infile [...] outfile DESCRIPTION
pmnsmerge merges multiple instances of a Performance Metrics Name Space (PMNS), as used by the components of the Performance Co-Pilot (PCP). Each infile argument names a file that includes the root of a PMNS, of the form root { /* arbitrary stuff */ } The order in which the infile files are processed is determined by the presence or absence of embedded control lines of the form #define _DATESTAMP YYYYMMDD Files without a control line are processed first and in the order they appear on the command line. The other files are then processed in order of ascending _DATESTAMP. The -a option suppresses the argument re-ordering and processes all files in the order they appear on the command line. The merging proceeds by matching names in PMNS, only those new names in each PMNS are considered, and these are added after any existing metrics with the longest possible matching prefix in their names. For example, merging these two input PMNS root { root { surprise 1:1:3 mine 1:1:1 mine 1:1:1 foo foo yawn yours 1:1:2 } } foo { foo { fumble 1:2:1 mumble 1:2:3 stumble 1:2:2 stumble 1:2:2 } } yawn { sleepy 1:3:1 } Produces the resulting PMNS in out. root { mine 1:1:1 foo yours 1:1:2 surprise 1:1:3 yawn } foo { fumble 1:2:1 stumble 1:2:2 mumble 1:2:3 } yawn { sleepy 1:3:1 } To avoid accidental over-writing of PMNS files, outfile is expected to not exist when pmnsmerge starts. The -f option forces the removal of outfile (if it exists), before the check is made. The -d option allows the resultant PMNS to optionally contain duplicate PMIDs with different names in the PMNS. By default this condition is considered an error. The -v option produces one line of diagnostic output as each infile is processed. Once all of the merging has been completed, pmnsmerge will attempt to load the resultant namespace using pmLoadASCIINameSpace(3) - if this fails for any reason, outfile will still be created, but pmnsmerge will report the problem and exit with non-zero status. CAVEAT
Once the writing of the new outfile file has begun, the signals SIGINT, SIGHUP and SIGTERM will be ignored to protect the integrity of the new file. PCP ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables with the prefix PCP_ are used to parameterize the file and directory names used by PCP. On each installation, the file /etc/pcp.conf contains the local values for these variables. The $PCP_CONF variable may be used to specify an alternative configura- tion file, as described in pcp.conf(5). SEE ALSO
pmnsadd(1), pmnsdel(1), pmLoadASCIINameSpace(3), pcp.conf(5), pcp.env(5) and pmns(5). Performance Co-Pilot PCP PMNSMERGE(1)