Sponsored Content
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Read command result as variable Post 302589995 by Corona688 on Friday 13th of January 2012 10:49:00 AM
Old 01-13-2012
It may be possible using one of for's many strange options but this is something it's always been tortuous to do in Windows CMD; there's no obvious, direct equivalent to backticks like a UNIX shell has.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Setting a variable to result of FIND command

I am working on a batch script where a filter is placed on a directory, and the files that come out of that filter have to be copied into another directory. More specifically, I am trying to set the results of a FIND command to a variable, so that I may access this variable / file later. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JP Favara
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign subst|grep|sed command result to a variable

Hi, I'm quite new to scripting and I want to modify following line of an existing script: MYVAR=`subst |grep 'L:\\\:' | sed -e 's/.*\\\//'`; What I have to do is to use the content of a variable instead of the constant expression 'L:\\\:' as the grep string to be matched. Assuming I already... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowbiker99
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing result of a command in variable

For whatever reason I cant seem to fix my syntax to do the following. I want to run a grep and count how many instances come up and store that number in a variable but I keep erroring out. Here's my code in bash: number=grep blah file.txt | wc -l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eltinator
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

need sed command to read a path and set to variable

I have a variable called PATH that contains a path example: /Users/rtipton/Desktop/testusers/test I need a sed command to set a variable called USER to the last directory name in that path PATH="/Users/rtipton/Desktop/testusers/test" and from that PATH i need USER to = test I know sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk command result to a variable

#!/bin/sh # ## MYSTRING = `awk '/myApp.app/' /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist` if then echo String not found defaults write /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary -dict-add -string Hide -bool YES -string Path -string... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dedmakar
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign the result of a SQL command to more than one variable in shell script.

Hi Friends... Please assist me to assign the result of a SQL query that results two column, to two variables. Pls find the below code that I write for assigning one column to one variable. and please correct if anything wrong.. #! /bin/sh no=' sqlplus -s uname/password@DBname... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: little_wonder
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ls output into a read command as a variable

I'm working on a short BASH script on my Ubuntu box that will run powerpoint scripts with MS Powerpoint Viewer 2007 via WINE. I can run the presentation when I run it manually but what i'd like to do is have the script look for the newest file then run it. #! /bin/sh # Start the newest... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary-ninja
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How i can put the result of a command inside a bash variable?

#!/bin/bash #... for i in `ls -c1 /usr/share/applications` do name="cat $i | grep ^Name= | cut -d = -f2" echo $name #... done Now inside name as output is present: while i want only the result of the command. Ideally i would like obtain that information using only bash ... or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexscript
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I read variable text files through cat command?

Hi. I'm just wondering how can I read variable text files through cat command. I made a shell script to count frequency of words and array them with variable conditions. It's only working for one file that I wrote in script now. But I want to make it working for every text file when I execute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlaxodus
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign the result of a multiline command to a variable

Hi, I have the following command that lists all the .o files from all the directories except of vwin (which I don't want it) for i in `ls -d */*.o|awk '$0 !~ "vwin"'`; do echo $i; done The result is something like that dir1/file1.o dir1/file2.o dir2/file3.o etc. So, I want to create a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: scor6800
9 Replies
trcs(1) 							   User Manuals 							   trcs(1)

NAME
trcs - convert text files from one codeset to other SYNOPSIS
trcs -C | -l | -h trcs [-s] [-f input-codeset ] [-t output-codeset ] [ file ]... DESCRIPTION
trcs is a program for translation of text files from one codeset to other. When exact translation is impossible it tries to make approxi- mations. For example pseudographic characters are approximated by ASCII characters in codesets that have no pseudographic characters and characters with diacritical marks are approximated by existing characters. If the option -s or --gen-script is given trcs will generate simple script that invokes tr(1) This is useful if you want to include this in your script or for faster conversion of many files. If none of -C, -s, -l, -h and their equivalents is given each file will be read assuming it is coded with codeset input-codeset On standard output it will be recoded so to use codeset output-codeset If there is no file given trcs will act as filter. Both input-codeset and out- put-codeset are case insensitive and default to `cp1251'. OPTIONS
-C, --copyright Display copying conditions and warranty information. -s, --gen-script Generates conversion script for given input and output encodings instead to convert text files. -l, --list List all known codesets with their aliases. -h, --help Display this help and exit. -f input-codeset, --from[=]input-codeset Codeset of the source. -f output-codeset, --to[=]output-codeset Codeset of the output. EXAMPLES
trcs -fcyrillic -t koi8-r letter.txt Convert letter.txt from ISO-8859-5 (cyrillic) to KOI8-R and output the result on standard output. trcs --from cp437 --to=mik --gen-script >ibm2mik Generates script ibm2mik for converting from CP437 to MIK. sh ibm2mik screen.txt Convert screen.txt from CP437 to MIK. Output the result on standard output. Without parameters ibm2mik acts as filter. AUTHOR
Anton Zinoviev <anton@lml.bas.bg>, <zinoviev@fmi.uni-sofia.bg> SEE ALSO
tr(1) Linux JUN 2000 trcs(1)