Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Explaining some lines from files : .login and .cshrc Post 302589945 by kristinu on Friday 13th of January 2012 07:11:26 AM
Old 01-13-2012
The setenv command alters the environment (standard settings) of the program. The environment contains parameters for the commands that the user does not want to specify every time a command is used.

For example, if you want to define a short name for a particular directory:
Code:
setenv PS $HOME/docs/postscript

allows you subsequently to refer to the subdirectory called postscript as $PS

uname (short for unix name) is a software program in Unix and Unix-like computer operating systems that prints the name, version and other details about the current machine and the operating system running on it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why i have local.profile, local.cshrc,local.login instead of .profile, .login ?

Hello again ! Thanks for response of my first question. there is my second quesiton why i have local.profile instead of .profile file ? my all files in pwd shoes local. before any file. is anybody can tell me about that ? Thanks Abid Malik (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abidmalik
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cshrc

where are my .cshrc files ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

.cshrc and .login overwritten !!

Hi, My account is : abcd I belong to a group: pqrs Some thing straneg happened yesterday. My .cshrc and .login got overwritten into pqrs's .cshrc and .login I obviously did not explicitly overwrite pqrs's .cshrc. Are there any reasons how this could have happened indirectly due to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjthomas
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clarification on .cshrc,.exrc,.login,.profile,.sh_history files

All, I had a request to delete filed under a directory that was 35 days old . And they asked me to scedule it in CRON . I have done that . I have use find and delete with mtime to perfrom this task . But my script is not deleting this .cshrc,.exrc,.login,.profile,.sh_history file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

diffrence between .cshrc .login .profile

Dear experts ... Please any one can describe the diffrence between this three 1) . cshrc 2) .profile 3) .login cheers syed (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smuqtaderali
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

diffrence between .cshrc .login .profile

Hi.. i was just looking to know the diffrence between this three terms 1) .cshrc 2) .login 3) .profle but iam failed to findout the exact diffrent Please can any one share the diffrence between this regards Syed (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smuqtaderali
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

explaining awk

i am new to awk scripting. i couldn't figure out how this awk script works can anyone explain? #!/bin/awk -f { for( x=1; x<=NF; ++x) { if( x == 3 ) { continue } print x, $x } } thank you and regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phone_book
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help explaining how to use a VPN on a UNIX server with a Mac OS

I have gotten a gig to teach someone how to use a VPN client for a UNIX server on a MAC os. The problem is I have never used UNIX, dont mess with VPN's (my dad has a VPN that I have used a couple of times). I'm currently taking a crash course on UNIX but I was wondering if anyone could help me with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: psycopuppy
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to explaining a command in run dot tcl

Hi, I'm running a rdt (run dot tcl) command, and come accross this line: alias abc 'set ARGS =(\!*); source home123/abc/$ARGS/setup' What does the command exactly do? Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar85
6 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Help in explaining this echo conundrum.

OSX 10.12.3, default bash terminal. Consider this code and note it is calling 'sh' inside the code... #!/bin/sh echo '1\n2\n2\n3\n5' > /tmp/text hexdump -C /tmp/text /bin/echo '1\n2\n3\n4\n5' > /tmp/text hexdump -C /tmp/text Now view the interactive mode below, note the underlying shell is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
6 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)