Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk: searching for non-breaking-space Post 302589914 by sdf on Friday 13th of January 2012 05:14:37 AM
Old 01-13-2012
awk: searching for non-breaking-space

This code shal search for the non-breaking space 0xA0 though it returns the error "fatal: attempt to use scalar 'nbs' as array" Can somebody help?

Code:
awk --non-decimal-data -v nbs="0xA0" '{if($0 in nbs) {print FILENAME, NR}}' *.txt

Last edited by radoulov; 01-13-2012 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Code tags fixed.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for text in a Space delimited File

Hi I am trying to search a firewall syslog space delimeted file for all of the different tcp and udp destination ports. I know that grep will find lines that contain specific text. And I have tried using the the the cut command to cut out of the file certain colums. However the test I am... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyblaylock
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

non-breaking space question

Might anyone know how to make a nbsp (160|0xA0) character? I am using a Dell Latitude D620 running Windows XP and then starting Exceed 9.0 defaulting to native window emulation for my X (us.kbf keymapping) (Latin-1 symbol set I believe) and calling an xterm (fontdefault, whatever that might be)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: runmeat6
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking long lines into (characters, newline, space) groups

Hello, I am currently trying to edit an ldif file. The ldif specification states that a newline followed by a space indicates the subsequent line is a continuation of the line. So, in order to search and replace properly and edit the file, I open the file in textwrangler, search for "\r " and... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowie718
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and searching within a block ?

Hi, I wonder if anybody could help. How do i awk out (or indeed using another utility) a particular value that exists within a defined block, for example if i have a file that looks like the one below and i want to get at the "Product Serial" for the block referring to "mb.fru" (bolded and coloured... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching using awk - Help required

Hi... I am working on script to search some records in a file based on certain fields and each record is a ASCII fixed size. I was using awk to search based on certain condition. But the length of the record is too much that awk is giving syntax error near unexpected token `(' Request... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrikanth
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Disk Space lost mysteriously upon breaking a process.

Hi All, Today when I was working on a script to generate custom wordlist. So I ran a script and the output was directed to /tmp. The disk space was around 19 gb. While the script was running, I decided to direct the o/p file to my 1TB drive. So I broke the run using Ctrl + C. Now when I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: morningSunshine
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk searching

hi all, Please can you help me with the awk searching where: I have a master file where I need the string $12. the string $ 12 varies between 3 and 4 characters and I need to bring only the characters ending in 68. try this, but is so bad my search i know awk-F, '(if... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: manzi
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to remove leading space from awk statement space from calculation

I created a awk state to calculate the number of success however when the query runs it has a leading zero. Any ideas on how to remove the leading zero from the calculation? Here is my query: cat myfile.log | grep | awk '{print $2,$3,$7,$11,$15,$19,$23,$27,$31,$35($19/$15*100)}' 02:00:00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bizomb
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching value in table through awk

I need to create one script in which I want to search in txt file , this txt file is having 10 columns , I want to check 4th column value if "BOY" & 10th column value =>500 it will print 4th column row value ,1st column row value & 10th column row value & store the same value in one file as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dravi_laxmi
2 Replies
URLCODING(3)						 libbash urlcoding Library Manual					      URLCODING(3)

NAME
urlcoding -- a Libbash library for encoding and decoding URL's. SYNOPSIS
urlEncodeString [-l] <STRING> urlEncodeFile [-l] <FILE> urlEncodeStream [-l] urlDecodeString <STRING> urlDecodeFile <FILENAME> urlDecodeStream DESCRIPTION
urlcoding is a collection of functions that convert ASCII-text to standard URL's and vice-versa. The AWK code used is based on code by Heiner Steven <heiner.steven@odn.de> The function list: urlEncodeString Creates a URL from an ASCII string urlEncodeFile Converts a file into URL-valid text urlEncodeStream Converts standard input into URL-valid text urlDecodeString Converts a URL-encoded text back to a plain-text form urlDecodeFile Coverts URL-encoded text in a file back to plain text urlDecodeStream Converts URL-encoded standard input to text Detailed interface description follows. The [-l] option for the encoding functions should be used when line-feed characters (' ') are to be encoded as well. All functions print the results of their conversions to standard output. The exit status of all functions is that of the command 'awk', with '0' for success FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
urlEncodeString [-l] <STRING> Converts STRING - a string of ASCII characters - to URL. urlEncodeFile [-l] <FILE> Coverts FILE of URL-encoded text to plain text urlEncodeStream [-l] Converts text from standard input to URL-text. urlDecodeString <STRING> Converts URL-encoded string STRING back to text. urlDecodeFile <FILENAME> Converts the URL-encoded text in FILE to plain text. urlDecodeStream Converts the URL-encoded text from standard input to plain-text AUTHORS
Alon Keren <alon.keren@gmail.com> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux