Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers get substring from string variable Post 302589879 by itkamaraj on Friday 13th of January 2012 01:36:37 AM
Old 01-13-2012
Code:

${var:0:5}

Code:
$ var="TESTING"

$ echo ${var:0:5}
TESTI

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

can i get a substring from a string?

for example, the string a is "abcdefg", can i get a substring "bcd" (from ato a) from string a? thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dell9
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

substring of a variable

I'm working in: #!/bin/ksh My question: I have a variable latest_bus_date, which in in the format YYYYMMDD. I would like to create a new variable that is in the format of MMDDYY using the data stored in latest_bus_date. $latest_bus_date='20020304' The new variable should have: 030402... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting a substring from a string

hi all, I am trying to extract SUBSTRINGS out of a string using ksh. The string is "SAPR3K.FD0.FA.TJ.B0010.T050302" I tried using a= `expr substr $stringZ 1 2` which is giving me a syntax error, donno why?? any ideas why its not working?? I also tried echo "welcome" | awk '{... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maradona
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get the substring from the string

Hi All, Can anybody help me to get the substring from the given string. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anshu
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to take the substring value into a variable

I am trying something like below. But unfortunately i am missing sthg here. $ HOSTEXT=hostname | awk '{print substr ($0,7)}' $ echo $HOSTEXT $ Suggestioins/Solutions will very much be appreciated. Thanks in advance, best-dyno. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: best-dyno
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get substring from string

Hi All, Problem Description: XML_REP_REQUEST=`CONCSUB "$LOGIN" "SQLAP" "$RESP_NAME" "$USRNM" WAIT="Y" "CONCURRENT" "APPLICATION_SHORT_NAME" "CP_SHORT_NAME"` echo Report Request: $XML_REP_REQUEST --to print value in log file While execution the value of 'XML_REP_REQUEST' is 'Prozess... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman.g
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with string and substring also I/O

#!/bin/sh PRINTF=/usr/bin/printf PASSWD=/etc/passwd $PRINTF "Enter a UserID\n" read USERID if ; then $PRINTF "$USERID does not exist, please contact IT service\n" exit 1 fi USERHOME=`grep "^$USERID:" $PASSWD | awk -F : '{print $6}'` USERSHELL=`grep "^$USERID:"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring from variable

Hi All, I'm facing issue wherein I have 2 character string like 'CR' and 'DR' and I want to extract just 1st character but am unable to do it. I tried below options but they are returning me 2nd character only, var="CR" echo ${var:1} returns just "R" echo ${var:0} returns "CR" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindshukla81
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace substring from a string variable

Hi, Wish to remove "DR-" from the string variable (var). var="DR-SERVER1" var=`echo $var | sed -e 's/DR-//g'` echo "$var" Expected Output: However, I get the below error: Can you please suggest. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting substring within string between 2 token within the string

Hello. First best wishes for everybody. here is the input file ("$INPUT1") contents : BASH_FUNC_message_begin_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_debug%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_end_script%%=() { local -a L_ARRAY; BASH_FUNC_message_error%%=() { local... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
EREGI(3)								 1								  EREGI(3)

eregi - Case insensitive regular expression match

SYNOPSIS
int eregi (string $pattern, string $string, [array &$regs]) DESCRIPTION
This function is identical to ereg(3) except that it ignores case distinction when matching alphabetic characters. Warning This function has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - Case insensitive regular expression. o $string - The input string. o $regs - If matches are found for parenthesized substrings of $pattern and the function is called with the third argument $regs, the matches will be stored in the elements of the array $regs. $regs[1] will contain the substring which starts at the first left parenthesis; $regs[2] will contain the substring starting at the second, and so on. $regs[0] will contain a copy of the complete string matched. RETURN VALUES
Returns the length of the matched string if a match for $pattern was found in $string, or FALSE if no matches were found or an error occurred. If the optional parameter $regs was not passed or the length of the matched string is 0, this function returns 1. EXAMPLES
Example #1 eregi(3) example <?php $string = 'XYZ'; if (eregi('z', $string)) { echo "'$string' contains a 'z' or 'Z'!"; } ?> NOTES
Note As of PHP 5.3.0, the regex extension is deprecated in favor of the PCRE extension. Calling this function will issue an E_DEPRECATED notice. See the list of differences for help on converting to PCRE. Tip eregi(3) is deprecated as of PHP 5.3.0. preg_match(3) with the i ( PCRE_CASELESS) modifier is the suggested alternative. SEE ALSO
ereg(3), ereg_replace(3), eregi_replace(3), preg_match(3), stripos(3), stristr(3), quotemeta(3). PHP Documentation Group EREGI(3)